You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ever selected for Jury Service?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever selected for Jury Service?
    Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 4:41pm
got a letter for jury service in may. if im approved for it and its some dirty shellsuited scrote who hasn't the courtesy to wear proper clothes for court, innocent or not, he's going down . joking aside, anyone ever do it themselves?

Edited by irishmufc - 25 Mar 2013 at 4:42pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:09pm

I was called up for Jury Duty about a year ago. Had to go into the new courthouse on Parkgate St from Monday to Thursday. I just read the newspaper each day as I didn't called up. There was about 200 people in the jury room on the first morning. I think they call out 20 names and that get's whitled down to 12. The 8 who aren't selected go back into the jury room. There was four cases the first day, two the second day and none of the last two days. I was out of there by 11.00 on the final two days. Boring as hell and there's a very good chance your name won't get called out. Make sure you either bring a book or a newspaper with you.

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:18pm
Yes. It was a decent case that only lasted a week. It wasnt anything serious like murder or a sex crime so I was lucky in that aspect. I enjoyed the experience and would love to do it again. 

It can be pretty nerve racking deciding somebodies future like that though.

Edited by Landon Donovan - 25 Mar 2013 at 5:19pm
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:24pm
Was on the jury in the coroner's court a few times.long boring days.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:25pm
Originally posted by Landon Donovan Landon Donovan wrote:

Yes. It was a decent case that only lasted a week. It wasnt anything serious like murder or a sex crime so I was lucky in that aspect. I enjoyed the experience and would love to do it again. 

It can be pretty nerve racking deciding somebodies future like that though.

Id say if it was some dirty scumbag, you'd ask for the chair LD
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:30pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I was called up for Jury Duty about a year ago. Had to go into the new courthouse on Parkgate St from Monday to Thursday. I just read the newspaper each day as I didn't called up. There was about 200 people in the jury room on the first morning. I think they call out 20 names and that get's whitled down to 12. The 8 who aren't selected go back into the jury room. There was four cases the first day, two the second day and none of the last two days. I was out of there by 11.00 on the final two days. Boring as hell and there's a very good chance your name won't get called out. Make sure you either bring a book or a newspaper with you.

I thought it was only for the one case. Then again you were in one of the main courts in Ireland. It's only the disdrict/circuit (whichever it is) court in Castlebar ive been summoned to. One of the auld boys in the local was telling me he was twice called but not approved and there was about 30 people at first. He also said good job they didnt select as he d have had the person guilty to fcuk . no attempt to listen to the facts of the case or anything, he wanted to nail them
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 5:54pm
3 years ago got called to central criminal courts, was picked for first case and was in there for 3 weeks in total, 2 for trial and 1 for deliberation. Justice Carney was the judge in charge. Terrible case, we all got signed off Jury duty for life after which was a bonus.
First 2 weeks were fine, 10 am starts, latest finish was 4pm but usually dismissed after lunch most days.
Final week locked away in a room with all the other jurors going over and over everything was torture tbh
stuffer View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuffer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:15pm
how much do you get paid for jury service
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:35pm
Watch ' 12 angry men '- that should give u a good idea what to expect - great movie!
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

3 years ago got called to central criminal courts, was picked for first case and was in there for 3 weeks in total, 2 for trial and 1 for deliberation. Justice Carney was the judge in charge. Terrible case, we all got signed off Jury duty for life after which was a bonus.
First 2 weeks were fine, 10 am starts, latest finish was 4pm but usually dismissed after lunch most days.
Final week locked away in a room with all the other jurors going over and over everything was torture tbh

wow thats along time - are u from Dublin? did u have to take time off work? how does it work??
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 6:51pm
Its like going to work, your employers are obliged to pay for you while you are doing jury service. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Andkend View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andkend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Its like going to work, your employers are obliged to pay for you while you are doing jury service. 

I never even thought about Jury service - sounds like a bit of a pain to be called.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:12pm
Mrs H has been called 3 times since we have been married ....hated going
I on the other hand have never been asked

Would love the experience
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Madferret View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madferret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:15pm
The one opposite Christchurch isn't too bad.

Just don't order the Steak Sandwich and you'll be grand.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Andkend Andkend wrote:

Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

wow thats along time - are u from Dublin? did u have to take time off work? how does it work??

Yeah I'm from Dublin, a bus and then the Luas to get in, as was said, you get fully paid from your job once you provide them with a letter from the courts. It was a very interesting experience, one which I'll never forget but also I'm glad I won't have to do it again.
petej1963 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote petej1963 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:49pm
Got called just last week, for the end of April, but heading on Holidays then so got out of it.

Edited by petej1963 - 25 Mar 2013 at 7:49pm
Sleep gentle our Rose of Mooncoin.......
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by petej1963 petej1963 wrote:

Got called just last week, for the end of April, but heading on Holidays then so got out of it.

Lucky for you Pete.....if you had turned up with your white shirt covered in Red Wine......you might have got sent down
Wallet ?? What the fcuk is that ?
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2013 at 8:41pm
Never done it, would like to though.

Someone I know was called for a service at the court in Hackney in East London, and got to do a chicken rustling case!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 11>
  Share Topic