You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Super League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 38394041>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2022 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

The Super League will probably never die. 

The concept has been around for ages and, as an idea, it makes more sense to create one now than in the past, as certain teams have become so dominant domestically and some of them are owned by people with no regard to tradition.

Playing it in the Middle East wouldn't necessarily be a permanent thing. It would be about getting it off the ground and avoiding any fan boycotts.

With all the problems associated with Qatar before the World Cup, the tournament itself will be remembered favourably.

That's exactly what Super League proponents would want - you'll hate it now, but once it's underway, you'll love it.
You appear to be conflating the ESL with the WCC - they are two entirely different concepts. I had assumed you were suggesting that the WCC could be held in Qatar. (It won't.)

If instead you were suggesdting that the ESL could be played there, whether initially or premanently, then I don't mean to be rude, but that is bomkers.

I mean, Real Madrid spending the best part of a billion Euro rebuilding the Bernabeu, so as to play their ESL games in Qatar? LOL

Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2023 at 6:50pm
Andrea Agnelli today stepped down from his position as Chairman of Juventus (reason given below*) at a Shareholders' meeting to select a new Board.

In his farewell speech which called once more for a revival of a European Super L:eague, he commented:

"European football needs a new system.

"Otherwise it risks a decrease in favour of a single dominant league which within a few years will attract all the talent of European football within its league, completely marginalising the other leagues and the others are already marginalised."

I wonder which particular "single dominant league" he means? Wink

Or might his real reason for favouring an ESL have more to do with the fact that under his watch, Juve made a 254m euro (£220m) loss last season - a record in Italy? And failed to get out of the Group stage of the CL this season? And are in a tight 3-from-6 race to qualify for the CL next season?

More of this sh1tshow here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/64320106

* - Juventus, who are listed on the Italian stock exchange, are being investigated for allegations of presenting false accounting information to investors and producing invoices for non-existent transactions.

Agnelli and vice-president Pavel Nedved, who has also stepped down, are among those under investigation.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 2:32pm
Seems like the two Ugly Sisters are getting all excited (or the local media at least) by the possibility of their being invited to join ESL 2.0:

Asked what the benefit of A22’s proposals might be to Scotland’s top clubs, Reichart said: “I see a big opportunity in a multi-divisional system which is granting access to 60 or 80 clubs to have a strong second column (of revenue) you can build your ambition on.

“Currently the recurrent, solid competition you’re building your project on is your domestic league."

Quite honestly, the other Scottish clubs should tell the pair of them to sling their hook and go ahead with reforming the domestic league set-up without them - then see how 14 games per season in the second(?) or third(?) tier of this new circus sustains them.

PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Seems like the two Ugly Sisters are getting all excited (or the local media at least) by the possibility of their being invited to join ESL 2.0:

Asked what the benefit of A22’s proposals might be to Scotland’s top clubs, Reichart said: “I see a big opportunity in a multi-divisional system which is granting access to 60 or 80 clubs to have a strong second column (of revenue) you can build your ambition on.

“Currently the recurrent, solid competition you’re building your project on is your domestic league."

Quite honestly, the other Scottish clubs should tell the pair of them to sling their hook and go ahead with reforming the domestic league set-up without them - then see how 14 games per season in the second(?) or third(?) tier of this new circus sustains them.

Its good to see you retain your interest in The Rangers, continuing with your predictable phrase " the ugly sisters" to try to disguise it. The fact you read clickbait headlines by right wing media on Glasgow's big two, then post them to an Irish football forum proves you are a closest bluenose looking for a reaction.   
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Its good to see you retain your interest in The Rangers, continuing with your predictable phrase " the ugly sisters" to try to disguise it. The fact you read clickbait headlines by right wing media on Glasgow's big two, then post them to an Irish football forum proves you are a closest bluenose looking for a reaction.   

"clickbait headlines by right wing media" is it?

It's a Press Association piece, you idiot! LOL

And will be prompting exactly the same headlines in newspapers eg in Netherlands (Ajax and Feyenoord) or Denmark (FC Copenhagen and Brondby).

And as for being a "closest bluenose" [sic], as I've said many times before I hold Rangers in  exactly the same regard as I hold Celtic. Or the European Super League, for that matter.

The fact that you refuse to accept this can only be explained by a mindset which insiists that everyone from my side of the community must inevitably also be one of that Rangers lot.

Which is richly ironic, since such wilful prejudice is the very essence of the self-same bigotry which you doubtless ascribe to all Rangers fans

Which doesn't actually bother me, not least because it is par for the course from individuals with your mindset i.e. "Themmuns is all the same".

But if you had any self-awareness it should bother you, since such posts expose your own true nature to your fellow posters on this forum.

P.S. The Glasgow Evening Herald is actually owned by Newsquest Media Group Ltd, publisher of such notably right wing organs as The Dorset Echo, The Barry and District News and The Stretford & Urmston Messenger LOL
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_published_by_Newsquest

Meaning you're an amadán as well as everything else.

Edited by Territorial - 25 Mar 2023 at 4:38pm
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 1:14pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 1:33pm
Leave them off and tell them close the gate on the way out. The standard of European football is dire at the moment and the real football fan has no connection to a lot of what's happening in elite football hence the reason the popularity of the league of Ireland and the lower leagues in England are flourishing. As a neutral there is not one tie that excites me in the next round of the champions League. 

time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Leave them off and tell them close the gate on the way out. The standard of European football is dire at the moment and the real football fan has no connection to a lot of what's happening in elite football hence the reason the popularity of the league of Ireland and the lower leagues in England are flourishing. As a neutral there is not one tie that excites me in the next round of the champions League. 

Totally agree the greedy feckers 
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 2:02pm
I think if they reintroduced the old 2 legged knock out for the European Cup, Uefa Cup and Cup Wimners Cup as an alternative,  playing the reserves, I would watch that over the current state of European football.  

Club World Cup is the final nail in the coffin.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 2:08pm
While the plan seems more reasonable from the perspective of, it would just replace the champions league and the football pyramid is still the foundation, what is not clear would be how the European Super League team from one league would be replaced by another.

For example what if there are 6 English clubs but all are in the top Gold League, how could a 7th make its way in? Lets say aston Villa are not in the ESL but then win the English premier League, would they get into the ESL at the expense of an English club who are in the Gold League? Would they be blocked from the ESL because all other ESL English teams are in the top division so can't be relegated and 6 is the maximum number? Would they be allowed to join as a 7th English side into and start their way up the ladder of the ESL from the blue League at the expense of another European club? (Eventually you could just have it made up of mostly English, Spanish, German, Italian, French clubs with no room for the little guy).
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 2:29pm
I think the judgement today will actually be the ultimate death of the super league idea.
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think the judgement today will actually be the ultimate death of the super league idea.

Not for Juve and Barcelona it won't.
The dark side.. And the light
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Yeah, but it's not much of a party if it's only the two of you.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:11pm

A few Dutch & Portuguese clubs have signed up. I think Anderlecht as well 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

But if you've not got any premier league teams (can't join) or the top German Teams (won't join) and UEFA still have to give approval then how can it succeed? 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:18pm

But if you've not got any premier league teams (can't join) or the top German Teams (won't join) and UEFA still have to give approval then how can it succeed? 
I don’t disagree with you I’m just giving details that’s all. 

A super league comprising of Turkish Dutch Portuguese along with the originals won’t win over the ordinary fans but equally I don’t think it’s a death knell for it just yet. 
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:22pm
There was an idea in the late 90s of a league containing Scottish, Dutch and Belgium clubs, North Atlantic league I think it was called.

That would actually be decent mix of teams, but would ultimately kill the domestic leagues so was always a non starter. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2023 at 3:25pm

I don’t disagree with you I’m just giving details that’s all. 

A super league comprising of Turkish Dutch Portuguese along with the originals won’t win over the ordinary fans but equally I don’t think it’s a death knell for it just yet. 
But without the Premier League sides I can't see how it would be financially viable. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 38394041>
  Share Topic