Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

European Premier League

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: European Premier League
    Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:06pm
Talks apparently underway to form a super league in Europe to begin as early as 2022Confused

RIP Football if that goes ahead

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:22pm
As a Liverpool fan, if this is to replace the Champions league then I've no issue with it.
But if it meant Liverpool dropping out of English domestic competition then I'd be firmly against it.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:27pm
I'd hate to see it, but can see why the big clubs want it, go NFL style with no relegation, big names every week, get the best players and the biggest TV revenues.

I've always thought the next step for "European Super League" was to have European games on a Saturday night (or whatever time they chose), and then Liverpool would have their Premier League games midweek, I kinda felt that's the reason they put the final on Saturday nights
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:28pm
Hopefully it happens this time, but I imagine it is just too push UEFA even further with the Champions League and stop letting the riff-raff in 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:36pm
Football is already on its knees imo.  International football is ruined with the expanded Euros and World Cup.  The qualifiers themselves are degraded because of the back door of the NL.

Domestic cup competitions are ruined forever due to the Champions League.  The Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup were destroyed.

The last 30 yrs have been eroding football.  It's now so far away from its roots its in outer space.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:41pm
The fact that the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City would be spoken of as candidates demonstrates the power of money in all this. Its a fluke of timing, and its hard not to look at the rise of Leicester and Wolves, the potential at Leeds, and the takeover bid at Newcastle, along with the pandemic as a reason for these discussions.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Football is already on its knees imo.  International football is ruined with the expanded Euros and World Cup.  The qualifiers themselves are degraded because of the back door of the NL.

Domestic cup competitions are ruined forever due to the Champions League.  The Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup were destroyed.

The last 30 yrs have been eroding football.  It's now so far away from its roots its in outer space.
It has been completely destroyed and made completely soulless, so the best thing that can happen is all these soulless shells and playthings for the morally bankrupt f**k off to the one place and maybe what's left can become some sort of sport again. 
I am of the view that UEFA, in particular, are deliberately trying to undermine international football to keep the 12-14 teams that can win the CL happy. The same as with this 'Conference' competition and helping the 'big 5' leagues to monopolise the places in the group stages. It can't make it any worse.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:27pm
What difference does it make to anyone here? the games will still be on tv so nothing will change for most people

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:36pm
Oh look some competition where some club owned by billionaires can win a super duper no history competition and win billion dollar prize.  

All sport has been ruined by over corporate involvement.   Money , more money, and even more money.  It must be important so. 

Can anyone name a sport now that is a better watch than it was 30 yrs ago?

thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It has been completely destroyed and made completely soulless, so the best thing that can happen is all these soulless shells and playthings for the morally bankrupt f**k off to the one place and maybe what's left can become some sort of sport again. 
I am of the view that UEFA, in particular, are deliberately trying to undermine international football to keep the 12-14 teams that can win the CL happy. The same as with this 'Conference' competition and helping the 'big 5' leagues to monopolise the places in the group stages. It can't make it any worse.

I used to be dead against this sort of idea but f**k it, let them at it. I'll have little interest but it might other football accessible for the majority. 
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:41pm

Oh look some competition where some club owned by billionaires can win a super duper no history competition and win billion dollar prize.  

All sport has been ruined by over corporate involvement.   Money , more money, and even more money.  It must be important so. 

I actually think Rugby Union is a far better game now than it was 30 years ago but I'd imagine most of that stems from the fact it was an Amateur sport 30 years ago.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

I actually think Rugby Union is a far better game now than it was 30 years ago but I'd imagine most of that stems from the fact it was an Amateur sport 30 years ago.

Ok yeah fair enough.  I'll concede that one.  But if they continue to pump mega money into it it will go the same was as football although not sure it can because lack of global interest.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:52pm

I would disagree. The technical levels are far higher now, but is the ball even in play anymore? Half the game seems to be scrums! There is, bar a few rare exceptions, no individuality in that sport either. It is all about the system there too.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 4:54pm

I don't know

I used to enjoy the old Five Nations and Rugby Special on BBC2 at 5.05pm on Sundays

There was something noble about amateur rugby

I think rugby maybe peaked in excitement in the early part of the professional era, 1999-2006, around that sort of time frame

It specifically peaked the day France beat New Zealand in the World Cup semi-final in 1999, it will never, ever get better than that

Around that time, the Tri-Nations was a really competitive competition, Ireland were about to get good and the Heino and Munster were box office

The Heino is a great competition but even that has sort of lost its lustre - good final at the weekend there, mind

However more recently I have really enjoyed Wales games at the Millennium Stadium in the Six Nations under the management of the great Warren Gatland and the captaincy of the great Alun Wyn Jones, especially the ones against England

Corporatism cannot kill the special atmosphere of Cardiff on big days

Seeing Wales win the Grand Slam or France pulling a rabbit out of the hat against England or the passion of Argentina in World Cups is very enjoyable

The last British Loins tour was tremendous as well

Edited by sid waddell - 20 Oct 2020 at 4:57pm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:10pm

Cricket is much more enjoyable.

Twenty20 has been an amazing success.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

What difference does it make to anyone here? the games will still be on tv so nothing will change for most people
As a season ticket holder of a club potentially involved in this, this would make a big difference. 
Football is more than a TV program. 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:16pm

Darts.
Just ask Sid.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2020 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Cricket is much more enjoyable.

Twenty20 has been an amazing success.
My enthusiasm to get interested in cricket is as yet unfulfilled, but any cricket fans I know here  are of a very different view! They think it has been cheapened by a sort of 'rounders with razzmatazz', to quote one. 
It may well have brought new fans to the game, but it did so by undermining the traditions that made people love it and turned a lot of regular fans off. That sounds familiar!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic