Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Europa League 2018/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:05pm
More European glory on the horizon 

ClapClapClap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sponsored Links

TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:27pm
Unless Arsenal lose or draw on sunday and Man U win, Arsenal are guaranteed to come 5th. That means if Arsenal win the Europa cup they qualify for the Champions league, but they also qualify if they lose, as the 5th place team will take Chelsea's PL place as they have already qualified for it. That will turn a match that's normally worth multi millions for the winners into a glorified friendly financially ,albeit with a europen trophy at stake. Is that correct?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:31pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Unless Arsenal lose or draw on sunday and Man U win, Arsenal are guaranteed to come 5th. That means if Arsenal win the Europa cup they qualify for the Champions league, but they also qualify if they lose, as the 5th place team will take Chelsea's PL place as they have already qualified for it. That will turn a match that's normally worth multi millions for the winners into a glorified friendly financially ,albeit with a europen trophy at stake. Is that correct?

Nope they don't. 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:37pm

I am not sure if you are correct, it wasn't my understanding of it, but the bit in bold probably sums up my anger at the way football has gone quite succinctly.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2019 at 11:38pm
The final will kick off at midnight local time in Azerbaijan.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:37am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I am not sure if you are correct, it wasn't my understanding of it, but the bit in bold probably sums up my anger at the way football has gone quite succinctly.

Agreed. Not sure about Chelsea but Arsenal have never won that trophy. They should be busting their balls to win it. It's a bigger trophy then the FA Cup imo. 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 6:05am
Reports saying the two finalists will only get 6,000 tickets each for the final.

If true its a disgrace considering the size of the stadium!       
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:04am

Incorrect - the 5th team in the Champions league only happens if winner of champions League or Europa league fail to qualify for the champions league via league position.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 4:23pm
Yeah, Arsenal are in the CL if they win the EL, they aren't if they don't. Simple as that. However, England doesn't get an extra EL place: they get 5 UCL places and only 2 EL places then, not 4 and 3.

Man United are in the EL as it stands. However, if City lose the FA Cup final, then Man United will be in the second qualifying round of the Europa League and Watford will go straight into the group stages, assuming United finish sixth.

However, if City win the FA Cup, then Man United are in the EL group stage and Wolves are the team whose season starts in July.

Whoever wins the EL has no bearing on this, just that England would lose one EL place if Arsenal win the EL and go into the CL.

If Arsenal finish sixth, lose the EL final and Watford win the FA Cup, then it's Arsenal who are back in first team football in July, which is far from ideal.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 7:13pm
Cheers,Dave for clearing that up, I think. Big smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 91011
  Share Topic