You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro '96

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 1:09am
I arrived in Crete on the morning of the England Spain game on a cheap "destination on arrival" package holiday. Got allocated a Hotel in Malia which I didn't mind as i had been there in late 80s and new my way around the spot. Malia in 96 was not the hole I believe it is now although it had become a lot more commercial in 96 than it was in 88. Anyway as soon as we got to the hotel dropped the bags off and straight to the pub to watch the match. Got there just before kick off and the place was full of English lads. I went to get drinks and got talking to an English fella while queuing. When he realised I was irish he insisted on introducing me to his pal who he said was also irish. Anyway his pal was a blue nose from Portadown and I jokingly told the English fella that while we were both irish our irishness might have different meaning to each other. The Nordy fella smiled. Just before the penalties I was lighting up a smoke and the Nordy came over to me for a light and said something to me like "I'm as irish as you today, I hope these ***ts get beat". Alas they won and football was still on its journey home.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 2:57am
It averaged 2.06 goals per game, lower than any international tournament, World Cup or Euro's, since 1980.

Real shame Ireland weren't able to be there, although I'm not sure how well they would have done.  Back to back defeats to Austria, drawing away Liechtenstein and home draw to Northern Ireland really cost them.

Edited by Sharpshooter - 12 May 2020 at 3:00am
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 7:35am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The memorable moments were England thumping the Dutch; Suker's goal against Denmark and Poborsky's scoop against Portugal. 
Yeah, lot of good memories for the English, and Suker/Poborsky were the most memorable moments. Gazza begin inches from the cross at the end V Germany too.

Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

I really remember the rows of empty seats at plenty of the group stage games, some of which were awful to watch. Also, a number of players like Baggio, Cantona, and the entire Swedish team (third in the world) weren’t there. The knockout stages were really attritional, and the French games were actually boring. 
I went to the France/Czech Semi final, lots of empty seats, very strange that the English didn't take to it more and pack the place. 15 years later they sold every ticket going for mens and womens Olympics. 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

I went to the France/Czech Semi final, lots of empty seats, very strange that the English didn't take to it more and pack the place. 15 years later they sold every ticket going for mens and womens Olympics. 
[/QUOTE]

I did a bit of a google around this and it would seem to be that tickets were seen as expensive, the timings of the game clashed with work, but also there was a block booking scheme at the time, which scared fans off, which it meant paying a lot of money for tickets. It also seems that attendances were on tickets sold, which would suggest some attendances were lower than they might have been.

The Olympic Games and the 2015 Rugby World Cup were almost sellouts. But I think ease of travel etc probably made those events easier to sell out, regardless of ticket prices. When Ireland played Romania at Wembley in 2015 it seemed like every Irish person in London and beyond was there.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 8:50am
Were the attendances low due to fans not travelling due to England's history of hooliganism ?

As above posters say a lot of the games were very poorly attended 

For example

Spain v Bulgaria in Elland Road- 24000 in a 40000 seater stadium

Croatia vs Portugal in City Ground 20000 in a 30000 seater stadium

Germany vs czech rep (group stage) in old trafford 37,000 in 55000 stadium

Czech Rep vs Portugal (1/4 final) in Villa Park 26000 in 40000 stadium

France vs Czech Rep (1/2 final) 430000 in old trafford in 55000 stadium

Even the final itselfs 73000 in 76500(ish) Wembley that's 3000 empty seats
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:06am
England v Germany was out with a bunch of English mates in a bar in Manchester  - was a great game at least tension to be fair, England taking the lead the germans quickly pulling it back wise the disallowed German goal the English near miss .

consoled them afterwards  then then  got back to my flat when I finally could let out a YESSSSSSSSSSSS!

Remember a fair few Germans around Manchester in the preceeding weeks due to them playing at Old Trafford . I never went to any of the games  - not sure why , could probably have got tickets if I really tried but likely work issues
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:12am
Probably cause you would have had to pay for them 
AKA pedantic kunt
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Probably cause you would have had to pay for them 
LOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:42am
England had a great team then and as said above, none of the other major teams were at their best. They should have won it.

They left out players like Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Stan Collymore, Beckham, Le Tiss etc

Maybe in hindsight they could have used more of the Man U players who just won the double.

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

England had a great team then and as said above, none of the other major teams were at their best. They should have won it.

They left out players like Ian Wright, Andy Cole, Stan Collymore, Beckham, Le Tiss etc

Maybe in hindsight they could have used more of the Man U players who just won the double.

It looks like Venables selected his strikers on the basis of their ranking in the goal scoring charts st the end of the 95/96 season. Shearer, Fowler, and Ferdinand were streets ahead of the rest in terms of the number of goals scored. Sheringham best out Wright by a single goal. Wright would have been my selection though. Cole was still struggling to impose himself at United and apart from a fertile period around Christmas was a sporadic and inconsistent scorer at the time.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:24am
Sheringham offered something very different to the others and was always going to be picked. Shearer and Ferdinand were always going to be picked and Fowler was the young wildcard who seemed to be able to score every type of goal. I don't think there was much debate about the forwards.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:28am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

It looks like Venables selected his strikers on the basis of their ranking in the goal scoring charts st the end of the 95/96 season. Shearer, Fowler, and Ferdinand were streets ahead of the rest in terms of the number of goals scored. Sheringham best out Wright by a single goal. Wright would have been my selection though. Cole was still struggling to impose himself at United and apart from a fertile period around Christmas was a sporadic and inconsistent scorer at the time.

I think he picked the best 4 strikers available but it shows the dept of talent England had at the time.

It was only a 22 man squad so no 5th striker.

England didn’t make any Subs in the 1/2 final which was odd.
Surely bring on another striker/attacking MF with a minute to go to take a peno.
You have nothing to lose. 

Edited by Zinedine Kilbane 110 - 12 May 2020 at 10:29am

tonyjaa View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

WATP 55 not out

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:47am
Mick Jagger celebration from Moller
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:52am

But they were poxed to make it that far. Swiss could have beaten them, Scotland missed a pen right before the Gazza goal and Spain had a perfectly good goal disallowed which would have knocked them out in the quarters. They were good against a Holland who were having one of their camps that dissolves into disarray and Germany tbf. But it's a bit like Italia 90 for them, the plucky exit makes everyone think they could have won it when in reality they didn't put good back to back performances together in the whole tournament. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 10:58am
But even though they were, as you say, poxed, they could have won it. I was listening to a discussion about it the other on a podcast with England fans and they all know they were, but if Gazza doesn't break his stride they probably would have as the Czechs were a fairly poor side, in all honesty. 

Nobody really put together back to back performances in that tournament. The Germans won it without ever playing that well. It was the most German of all their major tournament wins. They did just enough at the right time.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:31am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

But even though they were, as you say, poxed, they could have won it. I was listening to a discussion about it the other on a podcast with England fans and they all know they were, but if Gazza doesn't break his stride they probably would have as the Czechs were a fairly poor side, in all honesty. 

Nobody really put together back to back performances in that tournament. The Germans won it without ever playing that well. It was the most German of all their major tournament wins. They did just enough at the right time.

Sure they could have. Or the Czechs could have beaten them. Luckily it didn't come to that. Just saying it wasn't like they had unstoppable momentum in their form, it was extremely patchy. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:35am
And I'm just pointing out that plenty of them are aware of their patchiness, but it is unquestionably the closest they have come since '66 to winning anything and, aside from that, is generally regarded as a high point in English football culture where support for the national team didn't automatically mean shouting 'no surrender' and throwing chairs. 
It is understandable for them to look back in it fondly, when to everyone else, with exceptions of the Czechs and Germans, it was a fairly forgettable tournament. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2020 at 11:55am
England had a great lineup of strikers back then, Shearer, Sheringham, Fowler, Wright, Cole, Ferdinand.

This decade they're capping Danny Ings, Ricky Lambert, Calum Wilson, David Nugent.

Just shows it's not just Ireland that's no longer picking from the top English clubs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
  Share Topic