You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro '88 - 30 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:51am
The narrative I always heard was that England battered us for 90 mins but when you look at the highlights it seems to be an even enough game for the most part with England taking control in the second half as they grew increasingly more desperate.
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:40am
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

The narrative I always heard was that England battered us for 90 mins but when you look at the highlights it seems to be an even enough game for the most part with England taking control in the second half as they grew increasingly more desperate.

We had our chances. Think Quinn hit the woodwork second half iirc. We were hanging on at the end, Hoddle made a big difference when he came on and Bonner was inspired especially when it came to Lineker.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

I'm really Jealous of the people who made it to the match.

I've seen the goal 100's of times but actually not seen the whole match.

This (25min highlights) is the best I could find on youtube

Anybody have a link to the whole game?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3e8mcl

Thanks - I must watch this over the weekend.

Do you have links to the other two games as well? Might as well complete the set.

Ireland V USSR, the whole match, but with Russian commentary.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3fp9sy

Ireland V Netherlands, commentary by John Motson 

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3garde

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:01am
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

I SAID ..IF WE HAD BEATEN THE USSR ... WE WOULD HAD QUALIFIED.....THAT GAME WAS  2 OR 3 UP FOR IRELAND .....IF U WATCH THE GAME AGAIN...WE ERASED THEM OFF THE PITCH

THE STACTICS  SHOTS AT TARGET.... AT HALF TIME WERE  LIKE  12 TO 2 OR 3 AT BEST  FOR THEM...

SHEEDY WAS PLAYING WELL AS A HOLDING MIDFIELDER..... AND GALVIN WAS A RELIABLE MEAN MACHINE OUT LEFT  PUSHING THEM ALL  RUNNING AROUND...

STAPLETON WAS  A BIT  BEHIND  ALDRIDGE IF U WATCH THE GAME AGAIN...HE WAS ROAMING AROUND LIKE A   FALSE NINE ..OR A SECOND STRIKER...THE ONE WHO WAS BEING AT DEAD CAUSES WAS  ALDO

We would have needed to have beaten the Soviets by two clear goals for it to have qualified us with only 2 points for a win back then. Had it stayed 1-0 it wouldn't have been enough after they put 3 past England.

Post Team           Pld W D L GF GA GD     Pts
1    Soviet Union    3     2 1 0 5 2 +3     5
2    Netherlands     3     2 0 1 4 2 +2     4
3    Republic of Ire 3     1 1 1 2 2   0     3     
4    England          3 0 0 3 2 7 -5 0
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:19am
It really should have been 2-0 v ussr . Tony Galvin has a blatant penalty turned down when the Russian keeper Dasayev butchered him in the box in the second half . Instead their keeper rolled on the ground and was never given .
Aldridge also missed a really good chance too with a volly. What could have been that day ..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

We had our chances. Think Quinn hit the woodwork second half iirc. We were hanging on at the end, Hoddle made a big difference when he came on and Bonner was inspired especially when it came to Lineker.
It is still beyond comprehension that Neil Webb started ahead of Hoddle. That isn't a dig at Webb either.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 12:52pm
Couple of things about the EIRE strip in 1988.

1.  The colour of the jersey.  Euro 88 appears a darker green than the one available to fans and the ones that were used for the WC qualifiers which is more of a lighter green. 

2.  Why did we have plain dark green socks in Euro 88 and then lighter green adidas socks with the 3 rings below the knee for the WC qualifiers?

If anyone has any information please get in touch with Unsolved Mysteries

Euro 88 revisited: behind the scenes at Irelands major tournament debut
John Aldridge

Quiz: How well do you remember Euro 88? · The42
There was a lot of aggressive abuse from England fans - Ireland Euro 88  hero Tony Galvin - Independent.ie

versus

Original Adidas Ireland Euro 88 Jersey For Sale in Santry, Dublin from  EverythingMustGo1
Ireland Shirt Adidas Football Shirt Euro 88 Era For Sale in Ranelagh,  Dublin from NGDublin6

Ireland Adidas Euro 1988 Jersey For Sale in Tallaght, Dublin from Maver
UEFA Group 6 (1990 World Cup qualification)

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 10:59pm
Bump for Irelandshirts.  He's the man who will have the answer.

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:55am
TJ: I could be wrong but I do actually think that the material/fabric used to make the Irish players Euro 88 shirts was different to that of replica kits. For some reason the Adidas Tre Foil logo was smaller for Euro 88 and World Cup 1990 players shirts than for replicas. Having compared the shirts from Euro 88 to a replica bought in 88 there's definitely a difference.

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 8:20am
Also I think Euro 88 was the first time we ever wore numbers on our shorts.

Not sure about the sock mystery TJ.

WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:43am
Yes I noticed that the adidas logo was also bigger ont he team kits for the 1990 qualification.

The shade of green definitely appears lighter and more of a lime green in the 1990 qualification shirts and replicas to buy.

Here is an example of the lighter shade

23 things that will give you extreme Italia 90 feelings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic