Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro '88 - 30 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by JAVIER JAVIER wrote:

EIRE PLAYED WITHOUT  4 KEY PLAYERS

BEGLIN 
LAWRENSON 
BRADY 
O LEARY

Thats some big names missing.

Beglin
Had just won the double with Liverpool but broke his leg.... apparently it was a bad one. Would have been 25 years old.
Only got 15 caps in total.

Lawrenson
Was at liverpool too. Scored the winner against Scotland that helped us qualify. Would have been 30.

BRADY 
Was playing for West Ham after spells at Juve, Sampdoria and Inter Milan. Would have been 32.

O Leary
Was playing for Arsenal and would have been 29.

Sponsored Links

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:29pm
http://www.soccer-ireland.com/euro-1988/republic-ireland-squad.htm

Republic of Ireland Squad Details

No.NamePositionClub
Goals
Packie BonnerGoalkeeperGlasgow Celtic
Chris MorrisDefenderGlasgow Celtic
Chris HughtonDefenderTottenham Hotspur
Mick McCarthy DefenderGlasgow Celtic
Kevin MoranDefenderManchester United
Ronnie WhelanMidfielderLiverpool FC
Paul McGrathDefenderManchester United
Ray HoughtonMidfielderLiverpool
John AldridgeForwardLiverpool
Frank StapletonForwardDerby County
Tony GalvinForwardSheffield Wednesday
Tony CascarinoForwardMilwall
Liam O'BrienMidfielderManchester United
David KellyForwardWalsall
Kevin SheedyMidfielderEverton
Gerry PeytonGoalkeeperBournmouth
John ByrneForwardLe Harve
John SheridanMidfielderLeeds United
John AndersonDefenderNewcastle United
Niall QuinnForwardArsenal

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Would this have been a bigger upset than Ireland beating Italy in 94?

Not in my opinion.  It was more memorable cos it was our first game at a finals and against the old enemy, but for actual achievement in terms of the opposition, the Italian history and their reputation, beating Italy was a better result overall.   And they went to the Final after we beat them.

There is no doubt that Italy 94 were a significantly better team than England 88.  However we were much better in 94 and expectations were a lot higher.  We reached 6th in the world at one stage and beat Germany and the Dutch both away in the buildup.  I felt at the time that USA 94 was a chance missed and a disappointment.  I thought we'd beat the Dutch in Orlando as did many other fans beforehand.  

Stuttgart was a bigger shock and better for all the reasons Freewheeler states.   
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Not in my opinion.  It was more memorable cos it was our first game at a finals and against the old enemy, but for actual achievement in terms of the opposition, the Italian history and their reputation, beating Italy was a better result overall.   And they went to the Final after we beat them.

There is no doubt that Italy 94 were a significantly better team than England 88.  However we were much better in 94 and expectations were a lot higher.  We reached 6th in the world at one stage and beat Germany and the Dutch both away in the buildup.  I felt at the time that USA 94 was a chance missed and a disappointment.  I thought we'd beat the Dutch in Orlando as did many other fans beforehand.  

Stuttgart was a bigger shock and better for all the reasons Freewheeler states.   

Not sure I'd agree with that Gary..............Irwin over Morris for sure, but Babb at centre half (he had McGrath to mind him in New Jersey), Ronnie Whelan at his best v Townsend?  Tommy Coyne ahead of either Aldo or Stapo (we played 4-5-1 v Italy).  I think our Euro 88 team was better to be honest and that we were showing signs of wear and tear by then after 6 or 7 years soldiering together.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:59pm
We had some team back then. We has strength too, only just missing a top striker.

I don't think we'll ever have an era as good as 88 to 94 again.

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:14pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

I'm not old enough to remember this game but the auld lad taped it so I've seen the whole thing many, many times. Bonner made three unbelievable saves, I think they were all from Lineker. I'd say it was some session that night, both around Ireland and in Germany.

@Baresi, you need to learn how to use the quote function LOL
LOL Never.  Does it look like I give a flying Fc*k, make more mistakes. The smart lads on here will always correct us.
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 5:46pm

I think it was considered a bigger upset. With Italy we were a top ten side in the world, had just beaten Germany and Holland and had run them close 4 years earlier. Everyone had us down as making up the numbers in 88. Only qualified because of Scotland was the narrative. Beckenbauer said any of the otehr 7 sides could win it and gave us no chance. After hearing this a few of my Da's mates he was over with nicked a life-size Beckenbauer cardboard cut out from a sports shop, dressed it in an Ireland top and one of those cheap tricolour flat caps and brought it into the games, there's some great pics in his attic somewhere!

England had been unlucky once they got going in Mexico 86 and were fancied for 88. They made the semi two years later too. It was a huge shock at the time everywhere outside Ireland.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I think it was considered a bigger upset. With Italy we were a top ten side in the world, had just beaten Germany and Holland and had run them close 4 years earlier. Everyone had us down as making up the numbers in 88. Only qualified because of Scotland was the narrative. Beckenbauer said any of the otehr 7 sides could win it and gave us no chance. After hearing this a few of my Da's mates he was over with nicked a life-size Beckenbauer cardboard cut out from a sports shop, dressed it in an Ireland top and one of those cheap tricolour flat caps and brought it into the games, there's some great pics in his attic somewhere!

England had been unlucky once they got going in Mexico 86 and were fancied for 88. They made the semi two years later too. It was a huge shock at the time everywhere outside Ireland.

Surely it was a big shock here too? 
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Surely it was a big shock here too? 

Most of the support I knew back then reckoned we had a good chance. We were written off and patronised everywhere else.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:26pm
As I said earlier, when I saw Pearce, Steven and Hoddle were in the bench I knew we had a chance.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 6:40pm
Thought Stapleton retired in his 20s for some reason!
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:31pm
I had my Irish inter cert exam the next day. I failed

(I was failing, match or no match)
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

I had my Irish inter cert exam the next day. I failed

(I was failing, match or no match)

Yep same here , remember my brother came home from America to watch the England match at home and my da walking in and out of the sitting room because he couldn’t watch the match with nerves towards the end. Me ma running around like a lunatic and the dog hiding because of all the roaring
I was at all the qualifiers leading up to Euro 88 and remember getting into the hospality bar area at the end of the match v Bulgaria . Some of the players there too .
Great memories
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:15pm
I saw the game in Malaysia in some cheap guest house , now managed to convince the owner to watch the game in the middle of the night on some tiny black and white TV . After HT he went to bed and told me to be quite , hummmm hard to keep a lid on it i must say by myself .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
1874eire View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1874eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
I was born in 84 so I have no memory of 88 but of all the games it is the one I wish I could have been at or even remember. It must have been something special to be an Irish football fan and to finally see an Irish team take the field at a major tournament against England of all the teams.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by 1874eire 1874eire wrote:

I was born in 84 so I have no memory of 88 but of all the games it is the one I wish I could have been at or even remember. It must have been something special to be an Irish football fan and to finally see an Irish team take the field at a major tournament against England of all the teams.

That made it special. It's the one match more than any I wish I was at. Couldn't have written it better. Our greatest result by a mile. The footage of Mick Byrne saying 'We'll do them for yiz!' beforehand still gives me goosebumps.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 12 Jan 2018 at 11:19pm
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 7:08am
I SAID ..IF WE HAD BEATEN THE USSR ... WE WOULD HAD QUALIFIED.....THAT GAME WAS  2 OR 3 UP FOR IRELAND .....IF U WATCH THE GAME AGAIN...WE ERASED THEM OFF THE PITCH

THE STACTICS  SHOTS AT TARGET.... AT HALF TIME WERE  LIKE  12 TO 2 OR 3 AT BEST  FOR THEM...

SHEEDY WAS PLAYING WELL AS A HOLDING MIDFIELDER..... AND GALVIN WAS A RELIABLE MEAN MACHINE OUT LEFT  PUSHING THEM ALL  RUNNING AROUND...

STAPLETON WAS  A BIT  BEHIND  ALDRIDGE IF U WATCH THE GAME AGAIN...HE WAS ROAMING AROUND LIKE A   FALSE NINE ..OR A SECOND STRIKER...THE ONE WHO WAS BEING AT DEAD CAUSES WAS  ALDO
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2018 at 8:06am
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I'm really Jealous of the people who made it to the match.

I've seen the goal 100's of times but actually not seen the whole match.

This (25min highlights) is the best I could find on youtube

Anybody have a link to the whole game?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3e8mcl

Thanks - I must watch this over the weekend.

Do you have links to the other two games as well? Might as well complete the set.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic