Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro '88 - 30 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:09pm
Correct Gary, Italia 90 was the clueless Ole Ole competition winning, big event junkie beginning.

Our last qualification match for Euro 88, we were still in with an albeit slim chance of qualifying, but this was our LAST qualification game where we HAD to win, 26,000 turned up  (you could pay at the stiles).

Less than two years later, the House Full sign was up on an all-ticket WC90 qualifier against Malta.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Correct Gary, Italia 90 was the clueless Ole Ole competition winning, big event junkie beginning.

Our last qualification match for Euro 88, we were still in with an albeit slim chance of qualifying, but this was our LAST qualification game where we HAD to win, 26,000 turned up  (you could pay at the stiles).

Less than two years later, the House Full sign was up on an all-ticket WC90 qualifier against Malta.

I remember listening to most of the home games for that campaign on my parents old record player radio - I think most of the home games weren't on TV (I remember watching most of the away games on TV).

Edited by Borussia - 12 Jan 2018 at 2:19pm
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:33pm

Queues overnight at Ray Treacy's and the Irish Travel Agency (D'Olier St. I think).
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:38pm
Yes, I couldn't get a ticket against the mighty Malta, 50,000 sold out whereas two short years before that I was one of the 17,000 that turned up to see us beat minnows Brasil.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Yes, I couldn't get a ticket against the mighty Malta, 50,000 sold out whereas two short years before that I was one of the 17,000 that turned up to see us beat minnows Brasil.

Was gonna mention that friendly against Brazil. Now, if they were to rock up at LR, it would sell out in a heartbeat in the pre-sale. 

Changed times indeed.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:07pm

Similar only for the Hungary game. We were getting student tickets through the college in Dundalk back then as we were on the college team. Got one between three of us. One of the lads was playing LOI for Home Farm at the time and thought he could get another pair as he'd done that for Malta the previous week but got let down. We ended up selling the ticket for the price of a regular ticket so we could blag into a pub during holy hour as it was a Sunday and get a couple of pints. Only time I've ever sold anything over face value, felt a bit bad doing it but we were fairly broke and the lad said fair enough once we weren't looking for more than a standard ticket.

Managed to get sorted for the Nordie game later in the campaign but that was the start of tickets being tough to get alright. The Spain game was a nightmare, blagged some sort of FAI pass for that rather than a ticket.

Scotland and Belgium were the only two sell outs in Euro 88 qualifying and they were still handy to get tickets for up to the day.

Edited by Drumcondra 69er - 12 Jan 2018 at 3:11pm
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:13pm
Jaysus, 69er the Tout, who'd have thunk it?

Straight to hell with you. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Was only living in London 4 or 5 months before the Euro's. That game made such a difference. That and Italia 90 meant you could actually talk to English lads about something as opposed to them just thinking you might be in the IRA! It was like in their eyes that Ireland could suddenly play football whereas before we didn't even register. Tri colours hanging off lamp posts outside Irish bars.
The Russia game is still the biggest disappointment as we bossed them that night.

Holland was more disappointing for me. So close to a semi final. Width of a post away from going ahead and a flukey offside goal even though we were hanging on by then. Dutch would have gone out, it was up for grabs then. Had we beaten Russia the Holland defeat would have knocked us out on GD ANYWAY after England imploded.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:18pm

Jaysus, 69er the Tout, who'd have thunk it?

Straight to hell with you. 

A low moment alright! Student tickets were only £2 back then, wouldn't have got far with that, one pint between us!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:35pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Holland was more disappointing for me. So close to a semi final. Width of a post away from going ahead and a flukey offside goal even though we were hanging on by then. Dutch would have gone out, it was up for grabs then. Had we beaten Russia the Holland defeat would have knocked us out on GD ANYWAY after England imploded.
I remember watching the Holland-England game in a bar before we played USSR.

Me and my mate were the only two cheering for England because if they won then the Dutch were out and we played them last.

I remember how quiet the Dutch fans were for the last 20 mins and then the roar when the ball backspun into the net.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:38pm
I'm not old enough to remember this game but the auld lad taped it so I've seen the whole thing many, many times. Bonner made three unbelievable saves, I think they were all from Lineker. I'd say it was some session that night, both around Ireland and in Germany.

@Baresi, you need to learn how to use the quote function LOL
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Stayed in Karlsruhe, Hameln and Dortmund.

The old one shilling coins came in very handy for smokesWink - and for the following

Drinks machines, U&S Bahn kiosks and a certain letter that was banned from selling in Ireland at the time? I think all the Funtrek buses were full of them for the lads back home.LOLLOL

The trick was to put in a shilling and then press the reject button and you would a one mark coin refunded for the shilling you put in. When you start getting refunded shillings, then go for the smokes..

It only worked in certain machines I am lead to believe. A mark was worth about 40p.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:00pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

I remember watching the Holland-England game in a bar before we played USSR.

Me and my mate were the only two cheering for England because if they won then the Dutch were out and we played them last.

I remember how quiet the Dutch fans were for the last 20 mins and then the roar when the ball backspun into the net.

That was a scary and sinister sounding roar, not the big yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay you'd normally hear, more a throaty Dutch yoaoaoaoaoaoaoaoo.........it was weird and Jaysus it was loud.  Jammy fookers.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:00pm
Would this have been a bigger upset than Ireland beating Italy in 94?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Would this have been a bigger upset than Ireland beating Italy in 94?

Not in my opinion.  It was more memorable cos it was our first game at a finals and against the old enemy, but for actual achievement in terms of the opposition, the Italian history and their reputation, beating Italy was a better result overall.   And they went to the Final after we beat them.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:10pm
i remembered former WC champion  coach Cesar Luis Menotti..was an analyst for the tournament down here and he also wrote  in a magazine... SUPER FOOTBALL ...now gone

he wrote that He watched the 8 teams in the flesh back then and that his candidate to win it was   EIRE as it was known in SOUTHAMERICA then.  

he said that it was an attacking team with high tempo with the best european midfield line back then....He singled out the Liverpool players .........LAWRENSON WHELAN   BEGLIN....and ManchesterU  players, Liam Brady  and the  Ajax center forward Stapleton back then he was a huge fan of his .... Stapleton played really good back then behind the lone striker   ALDRIDGE.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:12pm
EIRE PLAYED WITHOUT  4 KEY PLAYERS

BEGLIN 
LAWRENSON 
BRADY 
O LEARY
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 4:24pm
Aldridge wasn't a lone striker Javier, it was two up front, a rigid and effective 4-4-2 but I agree, Stapleton had a great Irish career and was our captain at Euro 88 where he played really well.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic