You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro '88 - 30 years on

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro '88 - 30 years on
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:19pm
Folks,

Seeing as we're not going to Russia in June. The 30th anniversary of Euro'88 is this year. The 12th of June 1988 at 15.26pm local time in Stuttgart, Ray Houghton stuck the ball in the English net. 

There was a celebration back in 2013 for the 25th. Any chance of one this year somewhere.

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
Sponsored Links

baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Folks,

Seeing as we're not going to Russia in June. The 30th anniversary of Euro'88 is this year. The 12th of June 1988 at 15.36pm local time in Stuttgart, Ray Houghton stuck the ball in the English net. 

There was a celebration back in 2013 for the 25th. Any chance of one this year somewhere.

FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 7:28pm
As great as it is/was... I’m kinda tired of it

Often wonder if Houghtons sick of the subject.

Edited by McG - 11 Jan 2018 at 7:29pm
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:38pm
He's anything but sick of it.

I hear ya McG but any of us who were there will certainly remember it this June. I'll never tire of it anyway.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

He's anything but sick of it.

I hear ya McG but any of us who were there will certainly remember it this June. I'll never tire of it anyway.

Freewheeler, was it the southern goal or the northern goal he scored into? I'm heading over in a few weeks and would like to re-imagine it but into the right goal.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 8:56pm
It's been modernised but the end we scored is still to the right of the press box and tv camera side. I dunno if that's North or South end.

Was there in 2006 when we lost 1-0 under Stan.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:30pm

It's been modernised but the end we scored is still to the right of the press box and tv camera side. I dunno if that's North or South end.

Did the English outnumber us FW or was it 50/50?

What stand were you in relation to the goal?  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 9:34pm
I was to young to remember this. Must have been some day. Some craic in the pubs around ireland that night id say.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 10:23pm
It was about 50-50.  Most Irish fans were in the end where we scored.  As FW said to the right of the main stand.  I don't know if north or south.

Still the best moment I've enjoyed supporting the national team.    Never tire of it.  Of the 13,000 there I've met about 150,000 of them now.  

JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 2:57am
in that tournament  IRELAND PLAYED THE BEST  GAME I VE EVER SEEN IN  THE GREEN SHIRT ...WE OUTCLASSED  THE URSS...

WE SHOULD HAVE WON THE FIRST HALF....2/0  OR 3/0 ....

we  lined up   a  4-1-4-1  formation 

BONNER 

JOHN ANDERSON    KEVIN MORAN  MCCARTHY    HUGHTON 

RONNI WHELAN 

HOUGHTON                                   KEVIN SHEEDY           TONY GALVIN 

FRANK STAPLETON 

JOHN ALDRIDGE                   

in that  tourney we missed 3 of our best players   Liam Brady , Mark Lawrenson and Davy O'Leary
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:18am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

It was about 50-50.  Most Irish fans were in the end where we scored.  As FW said to the right of the main stand.  I don't know if north or south.

Still the best moment I've enjoyed supporting the national team.    Never tire of it.  Of the 13,000 there I've met about 150,000 of them now.  

Classic LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 7:46am
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 8:09am

Thanks FW. My mistake on the north - south. The goals are more east - west. Based on your information it looks like it is the Eastern goal Untertürkheimer curve end.

It must put some smile on your face every time you think of that day.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:01am

Purely at a sporting level it was a fantastic day, we all know the drill - first timers, the auld enemy etc..

But for me it was a lot more than that. It was very emotional and very personal, the culmination and reward for the many generations of men who had supported the game through thick and thin throughout the country in spite of official Irelands prejudices. It was for all the kids who suffered physical abuse at school for playing the "foreign game". It was for the men who were "blacked" by their bosses at work because of their involvement with football. It was for the 23,000 who showed up at Dalymount in 1955 for the game against Yugoslavia despite the priests at mass on the morning of the match telling them not to attend. It was for the fellas who turned up to support Thurles Town and Newcastle West. 

I get a lump in my throat even thinking about that day. It's a day that i'll never forget as long as I breathe.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:25am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Purely at a sporting level it was a fantastic day, we all know the drill - first timers, the auld enemy etc..

But for me it was a lot more than that. It was very emotional and very personal, the culmination and reward for the many generations of men who had supported the game through thick and thin throughout the country in spite of official Irelands prejudices. It was for all the kids who suffered physical abuse at school for playing the "foreign game". It was for the men who were "blacked" by their bosses at work because of their involvement with football. It was for the 23,000 who showed up at Dalymount in 1955 for the game against Yugoslavia despite the priests at mass on the morning of the match telling them not to attend. It was for the fellas who turned up to support Thurles Town and Newcastle West. 

I get a lump in my throat even thinking about that day. It's a day that i'll never forget as long as I breathe.

This. ClapClap

@irishmufc, I was behind the goal we scored just to the right of the goal as you look on telly.  I can still see Houghtons' mop of hair flopping after he heads the ball and the f**king eternity as we watched the ball arc into Shilton's far corner.

It wasn't over yet of course, we'd grown accustomed to linesmens' flags up until then, so once I saw the ref pointing to halfway and the linesman not flagging, the euphoria, explosion of ecstasy (no tablets then)  and sheer defiant celebration in scoring so early against fckn England was just amazing.

Never will be bettered I reckon.

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 9:56am
I'm really Jealous of the people who made it to the match.

I've seen the goal 100's of times but actually not seen the whole match.

This (25min highlights) is the best I could find on youtube

Anybody have a link to the whole game?

Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:01am
Halcyon days...The Stone Roses were spray painted all over Dublin...I could take the bus into town as a kid and ramble around town without a mobile in site.

Houghton's goal the start of the Celtic Tiger?Wink
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2018 at 10:12am
Was only living in London 4 or 5 months before the Euro's. That game made such a difference. That and Italia 90 meant you could actually talk to English lads about something as opposed to them just thinking you might be in the IRA! It was like in their eyes that Ireland could suddenly play football whereas before we didn't even register. Tri colours hanging off lamp posts outside Irish bars.
The Russia game is still the biggest disappointment as we bossed them that night.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic