You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2023 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

If the Greeks get through they'll have their opening game against Turkey in Dortmund. Am I right in thinking there's a big enough Turkish population in Dortmund ?
Yep, plenty of Turkish people emigrated to W Germany after WW2 and a lot settled in Ruhr area. Dortmund and its near neighbours Gelsenkirchen have one of the largest Turkish populations, and there would also be a sizeable Greek population as well.

Edited by Cabra Hoop - 02 Dec 2023 at 7:30pm
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:49am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

England not getting an easy group Shocked

They'll probably get through but wouldn't describe it as handy
That group is a piece of piss for England. They could barely have hand picked an easier group.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 7:33am
Easy enough for England but a difficult group for Scotland, I think contrary to some other comments on here 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Easy enough for England but a difficult group for Scotland, I think contrary to some other comments on here 

For a country that never got out of their group at any major tournament they seem pretty confident over on TAMB with the draw. They're delighted they avoided Italy in pot 4 but they're probably at a disadvantage that they're playing Germany first rather than last in the group. 

Best 4/6 3rd place teams go through so they'll still be confident of getting out of the group in any case.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:20am
It’s a poor German side at the moment but would not write them off either.  But there have been far better German sides and home advantage etc but all of the 1st seeds are tough and England and France would have been worse.  

Switzerland is a tough 4 seed in my view.  Would have preferred one of the playoff winners but they did avoid Italy.  

Hungary are decent and as good as Scotland if not better.  Could finish 2nd or 4th. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 10:33am
Can understand why the Scots would be happy with the draw. It’s relatively manageable. Group E would be my preference if Ireland were there.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 11:20am
It’s a real sickner not being ar this 

Wasn’t that bothered missing the multi city/ Covid affected one in England but this one Disapprove
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Wasn’t that bothered missing the multi city/ Covid affected one in England but this one Disapprove

Apart from quality beer, great cities, great food, great stadiums and good travel connections, you won't be missing much. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Group  A

Germany 
Hungary 
Scotland 
Switzerland 

My take on this group, 

Tough draw for Scotland imo.

Germany are Germany at the end of the day, yes they haven't been in great form over last few years but as the old saying goes you never write them off.

Hungary like Switzerland are a well organised team which will be tough to beat.

As for Scotland again tough to beat Clarke has made them no pushover but they do seem to choke when it comes to tournament football but you never know opening game against the Germans will be key for them 
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Apart from quality beer, great cities, great food, great stadiums and good travel connections, you won't be missing much. 

LOL
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm
Tbh I think it would've been worse to miss out on Euro 2016 the way the Scots did after they imploded in the group and to see N.I., Wales, us and England also qualify compounded the misery for them. 

We were never in with a chance of qualification from this group and the playoffs were always going to be 50/50 at best if we made them. It's very disappointing not to qualify for Germany, arguably worse than the Russia or Qatar world cups but France would've been pure depressing to miss out on with all our UK neighbours qualifying imo. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:27pm

Group  A

Germany 
Hungary 
Scotland 
Switzerland 

My take on this group, 

Tough draw for Scotland imo.

Germany are Germany at the end of the day, yes they haven't been in great form over last few years but as the old saying goes you never write them off.

Hungary like Switzerland are a well organised team which will be tough to beat.

As for Scotland again tough to beat Clarke has made them no pushover but they do seem to choke when it comes to tournament football but you never know opening game against the Germans will be key for them 

As a third seed though it's not too bad. They could have got a lot worse than Germany. And as a 2nd seed they could have also got worse than Hungary, who are granted a much improved team. Switzerland are on the slide a little.

So it's a group I would expect Scotland to be competitive in and a good chance of getting out
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Tbh I think it would've been worse to miss out on Euro 2016 the way the Scots did after they imploded in the group and to see N.I., Wales, us and England also qualify compounded the misery for them. 

We were never in with a chance of qualification from this group and the playoffs were always going to be 50/50 at best if we made them. It's very disappointing not to qualify for Germany, arguably worse than the Russia or Qatar world cups but France would've been pure depressing to miss out on with all our UK neighbours qualifying imo. 

I know Scottish fans took that one hard. Plenty of jokes directed their way from the UK neighbours, and Ireland.

But its cold comfort to know that it could just be us and North watching from the couch. Compounded by the fact that the results in qualification were as bad as they have ever been, we were never in contention for qualifying, and our ranking has slide down to 60.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:37pm

Group B

Spain 
Albania 
Croatia 
Italy 

This group looks oddly familiar

Tough draw for Albania can't see them getting out of the group but you can imagine lads in Tirana having the exact same conversations we all had prior to 2012.

Italy go in as defending champions I think they should have enough to get out of the group in what position though I'm.not sure.

Spain on paper have a team who could win the whole thing  Gavi is a big loss though.

The last dance for Modric, on their day the Croats can beat anyone could this be their golden generation crowning moment?

Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 12:57pm

Group C

England 
Denmark 
Slovenia 
Serbia 

England have to be happy with this group but they have to be careful as Denmark and Serbia are well capable of beating anyone on their day.

Slovenia are the team you have to think will prop up the bottom of the group but again you never know.

The Danes probably aren't the team they used to be but they still have a team who can punish anyone on their day

Serbia the perennial dark horses,  can spring a surprise good or bad  could this be the tournament they get it right?
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:04pm

Group D

France 
Austria 
Netherlands 
Playoff A

France and Netherlands of course qualified via our group and I think Koemans reaction summed it up.

France are one of the tournament favourites and will be looking to win this group comfortably.

The Dutch on their day can beat anyone I'd have them as the outside bet to win the tournament.

Austria are very much in the same boat as the likes of Switzerland and Hungary for me very well organised and capable of a surprise.

Playoff A will be either Poland ,Wales , Finland  or Estonia.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:10pm

Group E

Belgium 
Romania 
Slovakia 
Playoff B

Another last chance for Belgium LOL they'll be very happy with this group and you'd expect them to top it comfortably.

The rest of the group is fairly even fore Romania  Slovakia and the Playoff winner (Israel, Bosnia, Ukraine and Iceland) are all very capable of beating each other, I have a feeling this group will be an entertaining one 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2023 at 1:24pm

Group F

Portugal 
Turkiye
Czechia 
Playoff C

Portugal should be winning this group comfortably, they have a squad capable of winning the tournament but of course are now managed by Roberto Martinez  

Turkiye are the random team capable on their day of beating anyone but as seen in the last euros more than capable of falling flat on their faces. They do play two of their games in Dortmund so will have a strong following 

Czechia will  again are one of those teams who can turn up and surprise anyone 

Playoff C team could be Greece, Georgia, Kazakhstan or Luxembourg 

As some have already said  a Turkiye v Greece game could be a spicy affair 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic