You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 69>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Haven’t we had trouble in Minsk before? They’re not meant to be a very welcoming bunch. Maybe that was Rovers or another club rather than international, can’t remember.

Derry played there a couple of times recently, and we'd no bother at all.  I wouldn't say they're welcoming as such, they won't strike up a conversation with you, but they're perfectly pleasant.

Minsk is actually quite nice.  It was 95% destroyed in the Second World War, but they've done a good job rebuilding it.  There's clearly a bit of money about the place too, and it's not the dirt cheap eastern destination you'd expect.
City Till I Die
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:18pm
So who was in the squad this time around who should be dispensed with (Hourihane definitely) and who wasnt in the squad but should be come March when the qualifiers kick off.

First off, there were 3 lads injured who I think all come in if fit - Kelleher for O'Leary, Omobamidele for Scales and Idah for Hogan (but maybe he'll keep scoring?)

Then we have the curious case of Connolly, he's definitely good enough and played very well in the 2 U21 games despite Crawford imo. If he plays regularly for Venezia, I'd have him in also, maybe at the expense of Robinson.

Smallbone for Hourihane certainly.

After that, it becomes much more difficult. Hopefully we see a meteoric rise or two, there's half a season between now and March. Is Coleman's time up? Duffy? Hendrick? Browne? Mc Clean will be 34 by the time we start the 3rd qualifier next September, Coleman will be 35 that October, will he even be playing for Everton next season? Do we need o cap Festy to keep him on board? How happy is Ogbene after being overlooked last night. Lots of questions, but the bulk of the squad will likely remain the same for March at least.
Idah Dream!
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:39pm
Italy won the Euro 2020 with players over 35.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Only ever played them in a friendly in Cork I think.

Pretty similar to Minsk to be fair. 

LOL

Notions of been the capital of the world. And they lick the hole of the imperial neighbour. 
So yeah very little difference 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Yeah I think if we have players performing well over 35 we should pick them.  

But if we have 2 players one who is 35 and not playing for his club and a 20 year old with potential who is not playing I would generally pick the latter rather than the former.  

AKA pedantic kunt
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:50pm

I'm only asking for opinions here and I dont think the over 35s were wing backs to be fair. 

There's plenty more questions too, do we stick with the 5-3-2 for every game, should we have a look at a 4-3-3 vs weaker teams? We could try that vs Malta in November. 

Also, leaving aside the squad debate, what first team spots are up for grabs? Parrott's certainly imo and there's a midfield spot there for Smallbone if he kicks on. Kelleher vs Bazunu, Brady vs Mc Clean? Have we settled on our Back 3 now or does Omobamidele come in to the reckoning?

Lots of question marks still and we only have one camp/two games before the campaign kicks off.

Btw what happens if we draw Norway, would the friendly still go ahead, do we think?
Idah Dream!
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

I'm only asking for opinions here and I dont think the over 35s were wing backs to be fair. 

There's plenty more questions too, do we stick with the 5-3-2 for every game, should we have a look at a 4-3-3 vs weaker teams? We could try that vs Malta in November. 

Also, leaving aside the squad debate, what first team spots are up for grabs? Parrott's certainly imo and there's a midfield spot there for Smallbone if he kicks on. Kelleher vs Bazunu, Brady vs Mc Clean? Have we settled on our Back 3 now or does Omobamidele come in to the reckoning?

Lots of question marks still and we only have one camp/two games before the campaign kicks off.

Btw what happens if we draw Norway, would the friendly still go ahead, do we think?

Yes, tickets on sale this week.

Both November games locked in now.
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:32pm
I think we need a group where every team is capable of taking points off one another. That way a few bad performances won't see us out of contention right away. Plus, we usually play better against teams that want to beat us. 

Hungary
Czechia
Ireland
Greece
Slovakia
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Yes, tickets on sale this week.

Both November games locked in now.

Yes plus we can't draw Norway as we're both Pot 3 Wink
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

I think we need a group where every team is capable of taking points off one another. That way a few bad performances won't see us out of contention right away. Plus, we usually play better against teams that want to beat us. 

Hungary
Czechia
Ireland
Greece
Slovakia

I don't think any team goes out not wanting to beat the opposition but I get what you mean LOL
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:02pm
In terms of the overall squad and 1st team

As I've said before this may be the last campaign for the likes of Coleman and McClean but both are fit as fiddles (so the old saying goes) so I wouldn't put it past either them to still be around come 2026 is no viable options emerge.

As much as we have given out about him Hourihane is still only 31 (he'll 33 by the time of Euros) at Euro 2016 we had O'Shea, Keane,Murphy and Hoolahan all above that age albeit at higher levels then L1.

Again as I said in another thread some positives to take from this campaign is that the likes of Cullen, Molumby, Knight have been able to step up even Browne for all the criticism he received has come in and done well at times even at right back.

I agree we could probably go a little more expansive against lesser teams I definitely expect us to go to a variation of a 4-3-3 or 4-2-3-1 against Malta but I've generally thought we've done well whilst playing 3-5-2 style formation.  

MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:07pm

You’re like that Little Britain character who fancies his mates Granny. You love the aul folks Big smile
El Puto Amo
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

Hungary
Czechia
Ireland
Greece
Slovakia

We could easily finish bottom of a group like that!
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:44pm
That's the risk.

But in a group like that, you could probably lose a few games, or draw loads, and still be in with a chance of second place.

It would help disguise our inconsistent form.

Edited by Terzino - 28 Sep 2022 at 9:44pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 9:56pm
Looking at the pots, there really are no easy games. Teams in pot 5 even would be very hard to get 6 points off. 

A group where everyone can take points off each other might be the way to go for us. Similar to when we came to 2 when we had Serbia, Wales, Austria and we were all taking points off each other. 

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by brendy_éire brendy_éire wrote:

Haven’t we had trouble in Minsk before? They’re not meant to be a very welcoming bunch. Maybe that was Rovers or another club rather than international, can’t remember.
Derry played there a couple of times recently, and we'd no bother at all.  I wouldn't say they're welcoming as such, they won't strike up a conversation with you, but they're perfectly pleasant.
NI played out there in 2019 - our fams all agree that it was a really good away trip (helped by winning 1-0 with an 86th minute goal, mind)

Minsk is actually quite nice.  It was 95% destroyed in the Second World War, but they've done a good job rebuilding it.  There's clearly a bit of money about the place too, and it's not the dirt cheap eastern destination you'd expect.
All true, though apparently if you go outside Minsk you realise just how poverty-stricken and deadbeat the rest of Belarus is/was.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

NI played out there in 2019 - our fams all agree that it was a really good away trip (helped by winning 1-0 with an 86th minute goal, mind)

All true, though apparently if you go outside Minsk you realise just how poverty-stricken and deadbeat the rest of Belarus is/was.
I stand thoroughly corrected so, apologies to any Belarusian lurkers LOL Yeah that’s the case with a lot of the ex-USSR or even Yugoslavian states to an extent. Moldova was another type of brutal, even parts of Chisinău were scarily grim.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 1:58pm
Have to say, I am really struggling with not knowing who we have in our group and what are our next competitive fixtures.

October 9th date is just sitting in my brain as next important date in my life LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 69>
  Share Topic