You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 69>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:33pm
What do we need to get a playoff?

Edited by J89 - 28 Sep 2022 at 12:34pm
Sponsored Links

Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Basically a load of 3rd and 4th ranked sides not to qualify from Sweden and Bulgaria and Turkey etc. 
AKA pedantic kunt
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Basically a load of 3rd and 4th ranked sides not to qualify from Sweden and Bulgaria and Turkey etc. 

From the last WC Sweden, Turkey, and North Macedonia finished second though Sweden were in Pot 2 for that draw.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:49pm

From the last WC Sweden, Turkey, and North Macedonia finished second though Sweden were in Pot 2 for that draw.

We are right on the cusp, looking at the way things have panned out, I still think 26th is more likely to get a play off spot than not, but it's going to be tight.
Idah Dream!
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:50pm
What's the story with Belarus if we draw them. Are we allowed into the country?
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

They're banned from hosting games. Presumably as a result of the sanctions. They played their Nations League games in Serbia so guessing will be the same for the qualiifiers 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 28 Sep 2022 at 12:57pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

They're banned from hosting games. Presumably as a result of the sanctions. They played their Nations League games in Serbia so guessing will be the same for the qualiifiers 

Ah right, didn't realise. Have always wanted to go to Belarus but will be a non starter till that madman is out of power by the looks of it.
SeaSharp View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeaSharp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Ah right, didn't realise. Have always wanted to go to Belarus but will be a non starter till that madman is out of power by the looks of it.
Haven’t we had trouble in Minsk before? They’re not meant to be a very welcoming bunch. Maybe that was Rovers or another club rather than international, can’t remember.

Edited by SeaSharp - 28 Sep 2022 at 1:08pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:12pm
Only ever played them in a friendly in Cork I think.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:16pm

Pretty similar to Minsk to be fair. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:30pm

Pretty similar to Minsk to be fair. 

LOL
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:32pm
Given it's top 2 qualify i'd much rather be getting one of the perceived big boys from pot 1 i.e. Spain, Italy, Belgium as they most likely they coast through group and one of the perceived weaker sides from Pot 2 i.e. Israel, Finland, Bosnia.  I think that scenario enhances our chances of finishing top 2 as opposed to getting say Hungary and Czech Rep or Switzerland and Wales as you will likely end up in a situation where sides from Pot 1, 2 and 3 end up taking points off eachother and it can become very messy.  

For that reason i'd quite fancy our chances of getting top 2 if the group panned out as follows:

Pot 1 - Spain/Italy/Belgium
Pot 2 - Avoid England, France & Serbia but ideal would be one of Israel/Bosnia/Finland
Pot 4 - Avoid Turkey and Greece but ideal would be Luxembourg/Faroes/Bulgaria
Pot 5 - Avoid Slovakia & NI (just because of derby factor and what would go with it)
Pot 6 - doesn't matter

VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:32pm

How does this work - do you mean teams who came 3rd and 4th in their NL group? 

Sweden came 30th so if they qualify directly it means they did it at the expense of someone higher, which means less places in the playoffs? Basically we want the higher seeds to qualify direct so more play off spot? Is that it?
E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:35pm
We need a 6 team group and we need to play the 6th seed first to allow Kenny to erase the memory of whatever last night was.

A start like Mick had. Get the points on the board early to build confidence.

He needs a lot of luck here. There are 2nd seeds who are interchangeable with 1st seeds, and other 2nd seeds such as Finland would be easily interchangeable with a Pot 4 side like Turkey. I'd happily take a heavy hitter from Pot 1 if we could get a Finland and avoid Turkey.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:38pm
Of the available I’d take 
Denmark 
Wales 
Ourselves
Luxembourg 
Gibraltar 
San Marino 
brendy_éire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brendy_éire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

How does this work - do you mean teams who came 3rd and 4th in their NL group? 

Sweden came 30th so if they qualify directly it means they did it at the expense of someone higher, which means less places in the playoffs? Basically we want the higher seeds to qualify direct so more play off spot? Is that it?

Means the teams below us in the NL rankings.  For example, Sweden, Turkey, Greece, etc.
Yes, so if Sweden qualify over the Pot 2 team, the Pot 2 teams takes the playoff spot.
City Till I Die
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Denmark 
Wales 
Ourselves
Luxembourg 
Gibraltar 
San Marino 

Not Denmark and Wales again please Confused
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2022 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Denmark 
Wales 
Ourselves
Luxembourg 
Gibraltar 
San Marino 

BEST - Switzerland, Finland, Ireland, Faroes, Gibralter, (Germany)

WORST - Spain, France, Ireland, Turkey, Slovakia

Dont agree with those who want a top team from Pot 1, the more potentially winnable/drawable games the better. Plenty of average teams in Pot 2 (about half I'd say), balanced out by plenty of decent sides in Pot 4 and one or two tricky ones in Pot 5 also.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 69>
  Share Topic