You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 69>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2023 at 11:43pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Originally posted by SeaSharp SeaSharp wrote:

Anything can happen on the night lads, but France 1/2 might be worth a few quid LOL

I wouldn't be staking the mortgage on them. They had a great tournament in Qatar, but their form in the WC qualifiers and the six Nations League matches in 2022 was a bit patchy and up and down. Perhaps they are a much better tournament side than a qualifying one.

They looked good tonight, but the dutch nearly gifted them a three goal lead and had 2 big chances themselves in the first half - Wijnaldum and Depay. Very good going forward, particularly on the counter, but they play a high line with only one holding mf so they can definitely be got at.

Yes, the 4-0 definitely flattered them this evening - it could just as easily have been a 3-2 or a 2-2, had the Dutch not left their shooting boots at home in the first half.

Ah come off it, the Dutch could of had a a few but France could of had about 9 if we're talking about having their shooting boots on. 4-0 was no where near flattering for them.
Agree, but doesn't take away from the fact the Dutch should have scored at least 2 plus the late peno!
Idah Dream!
Sponsored Links

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:10am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Think we're gonna repeat 2001 and do the Dutch outta qualification. You've heard it here first 

Very hard to gauge the Dutch tonight given the absentees, we could have given tonight's Xi a game, but they were missing de Ligt, de Jong, Dumfries, Gakpo and a couple of others. Koeman set them up naively and thought he could go toe to toe with France with a weakened Xi. Never rated him as a manager which gives me some hope, but their first choice Xi is still pretty good! 
Idah Dream!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:22am

Anything can happen on the night lads, but France 1/2 might be worth a few quid LOL

I wouldn't be staking the mortgage on them. They had a great tournament in Qatar, but their form in the WC qualifiers and the six Nations League matches in 2022 was a bit patchy and up and down. Perhaps they are a much better tournament side than a qualifying one.

They looked good tonight, but the dutch nearly gifted them a three goal lead and had 2 big chances themselves in the first half - Wijnaldum and Depay. Very good going forward, particularly on the counter, but they play a high line with only one holding mf so they can definitely be got at.

Yes, the 4-0 definitely flattered them this evening - it could just as easily have been a 3-2 or a 2-2, had the Dutch not left their shooting boots at home in the first half.

But it wasn't, it was 4-0? The French mullered the 6th ranked team in world, that is what happened.
We're decent enough..
schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 7:23am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Off topic from the games but Ian hartes accent is mad Drogheda with bit of Yorkshire twang

Exactly. What sort of an accent is that. One minute i can hear a Drogheda accent then the next it sounds pure English

In fairness its probably better than sounding pure Drogheda LOL
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:24am
Ridiculous setup from the Dutch last night. As long as we set up with some sensible tactics it should be a very different game on Monday. We'll have to concede possession and territory and cut out the suicidal Kennyball at the back obviously. And close the space around the edge of the penalty area - Molumby needs to be told to stay deep to help Cullen with this. 

Similar to any major team coming to Dublin we need to be set up to shut them down rather than just trying to play our own game like the Dutch tried. Four midfielders (Cullen/Molumby/Knight/Smallbone) with Ferguson as a lone striker looks the obvious approach. Provided we do that it will be fine.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:28am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Ridiculous setup from the Dutch last night. As long as we set up with some sensible tactics it should be a very different game on Monday. We'll have to concede possession and territory and cut out the suicidal Kennyball at the back obviously. And close the space around the edge of the penalty area - Molumby needs to be told to stay deep to help Cullen with this. 

Similar to any major team coming to Dublin we need to be set up to shut them down rather than just trying to play our own game like the Dutch tried. Four midfielders (Cullen/Molumby/Knight/Smallbone) with Ferguson as a lone striker looks the obvious approach. Provided we do that it will be fine.

This rolling it out to the defenders standing on the 6 yard line craicEmbarrassed
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:37am
Originally posted by schillaci schillaci wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Off topic from the games but Ian hartes accent is mad Drogheda with bit of Yorkshire twang

Exactly. What sort of an accent is that. One minute i can hear a Drogheda accent then the next it sounds pure English

In fairness its probably better than sounding pure Drogheda LOL

Is he back with a drogheda accent? He originally lost it very soon after going to Leeds- unlike uncle Gary 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 8:47am

LOL 

As if we haven't gone 10 at the back before and struggled against big teams. I do agree that we should play a 5-4-1 with the midfield mentioned. Definitely doesn't mean we'll be fine however. And as for playing out from the back, it definitely is more helpful to burn say a minute in possession than hoofing and giving it straight back to the French. People seem to have lost that concept
Here we go again
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 9:51am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

But it wasn't, it was 4-0? The French mullered the 6th ranked team in world, that is what happened.

Tbf, the 6th ranked team shorn of half their starting XI and some of the lads that played looked like they might have had the virus/food poisoning or whatever it was themselves. Of course the French were still very very good, but they did give up several big chances!
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 10:11am

Agreed re the Dutch set up, naive particularly given their absentees. Molumby should be playing alongside Cullen as the right sided holder with Cullen on the left, one or the other should go out with Griezmann when he drops, with the other shifting central to pick up the runs of Rabiot, good communication will be key. The wide centre backs, likely Collins and O'Shea need to be aware of the little one twos the French play to get Mbappe/Coman in behind the wing backs and get out to those 2 quickly when they get in behind their wing back.

I'm not sure about the midfield 4, I'm a big fan of Wills as you know, but getting in behind their full backs (where they look weakest) isnt really either of Knight or Smallbones' strong suit and unfortunately both are probably more comfortable on the RHS. Maybe we start that way, but the Dutch front 3 definitely troubled France a lot more than the scoreline would suggest, so maybe we start 5-4-1 to try and keep it tight for as long as possible and shift to a 5-2-3 later in the game.

Also, we cant just hoof the ball long, I think we need to try and play out, most of the good Dutch chances came from beating the high (ish) press. The French tend to leave only 1 midfielder holding (Tchouameni) and if you can play your way around the press, they can be caught out for numbers deep. It's risky sure, but we have to try and provide a threat. No silly stuff, but as I say, we cant just hoof long and continually cede possession. Konate and Upamecano are both very strong in the air.

Edited by John Nice - 25 Mar 2023 at 10:14am
Idah Dream!
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 10:19am
Originally posted by irish_major irish_major wrote:

LOL 

As if we haven't gone 10 at the back before and struggled against big teams. I do agree that we should play a 5-4-1 with the midfield mentioned. Definitely doesn't mean we'll be fine however. And as for playing out from the back, it definitely is more helpful to burn say a minute in possession than hoofing and giving it straight back to the French. People seem to have lost that concept

Agreed, if we just hoof it long, it will be a very long night, Ferguson wont win a lot in the air up against Konate/Upamecano. I know he's big, but Evan does his best work with ball in to feet.
Idah Dream!
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 11:48am
Originally posted by MrWhitty MrWhitty wrote:

If it was Trapp or MON I’d have some belief we could steal a result, a nasty 0-0 or a sneaky 1-0 with Evan Ferguson goal.  I’ve absolutely no confidence in SK strap yourselves in folks, this’ll be a tactical embarrassment however PP will owe me some money. 

Betting against your country. 

Disgusting Confused
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 11:51am

*France put 4 past the world number 6 side*

World number 48 supporter - "oh yeah we'll have no issues at all so long as we cut out that ridiculous passing the ball business" Big smile
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 12:52pm

World number 48 supporter - "oh yeah we'll have no issues at all so long as we cut out that ridiculous passing the ball business" Big smile

France away are generally very different to France at home. 

That said if we set up like the Dutch did they probably will put a load past us. I'm working on the basis that we will be more sensible than them. Couldn't rule anything out with the current management sadly and if we take a heavy beating I'd be 90% certain it will be because they've ballsed up the team setup yet again. That said, I don't actually think that will happen, judging by the Portugal games in the last group there is at least still some sign of pragmatism against the very top teams.

And by "fine" I'm hardly meaning win the game...
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:13pm

That said if we set up like the Dutch did they probably will put a load past us. I'm working on the basis that we will be more sensible than them. Couldn't rule anything out with the current management sadly and if we take a heavy beating I'd be 90% certain it will be because they've ballsed up the team setup yet again. That said, I don't actually think that will happen, judging by the Portugal games in the last group there is at least still some sign of pragmatism against the very top teams.

I think France will probably score on the night, perhaps one maybe two, so we'll need to score goals ourselves to get something out of the game. Talk of France winning 0-4 or 0-5 seems way OTT though - they're not 'that' good and we're not 'that' bad. We'd have to put in a dreadful shift to lose by that type of score at home.
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:17pm

I think France will probably score on the night, perhaps one maybe two, so we'll need to score goals ourselves to get something out of the game. Talk of France winning 0-4 or 0-5 seems way OTT though - they're not 'that' good and we're not 'that' bad. We'd have to put in a dreadful shift to lose by that type of score at home.

I’m not sure, we could play well and still ship 4 or 5. Are be better than that depleted Dutch team? I don’t think so.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:39pm
Thing with France is if they score first they could just sit back and let us have the ball while still picking us off for another two.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2023 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Thing with France is if they score first they could just sit back and let us have the ball while still picking us off for another two.

Truedat, important not to panic if we concede first and to stay focussed and stick to the game plan, the goal should be to get to the last 20 minutes no worse than a goal behind. We can see where we are at then and maybe decide to have a cut at them at that stage.
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 69>
  Share Topic