You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2024 Qualifier GROUP B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 69>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What are you basing this optimism on?

We struggled to beat Malta away, lost away to Armenia and Lux at home and just about beat Armenia at home.

We're too easy to play against - France will come here and play in 1st gear - if we do by chance go 1 up or something - France will just change gears and get the result they want.

agree. Quite bizarre 

The better performances under Kenny have come against the better teams -Portugal x 2, Scotland and Belgium. There's reason to be optimistic. We're clearly odds on too lose, but we're not a forlorn hope either
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

We struggled to beat Malta away, lost away to Armenia and Lux at home and just about beat Armenia at home.

We're too easy to play against - France will come here and play in 1st gear - if we do by chance go 1 up or something - France will just change gears and get the result they want.

agree. Quite bizarre 

The better performances under Kenny have come against the better teams -Portugal x 2, Scotland and Belgium. There's reason to be optimistic. We're clearly odds on too lose, but we're not a forlorn hope either
Plenty more room for pessimism. Yeah we might raise our game and get point off top 2 seeds but if any consistency to Kennys reign is that every half decent result is offset by an embarrassing result against minnows. 
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 7:11pm

Agree, even if France have an off day we're goosed. I'd be equally as worried about Greece taking 4 points against us. This group is going to be a bridge too far for the squad, with or without Kenny in charge.
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:17pm
France are going to destroy us
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Mainly on the fact that Kenny seems to set us up better against better teams and, being honest, France don't really need to win the game. They had draws with Bosnia and Ukraine (twice) last time out and lost and drew with Turkey in the previous campaign. 

A bit like the Portugal game in 2021, we were delighted with a point but it was fine for them too in terms of how the group was set up. In that context it wasn't near as impressive a result as it was made out to be. I'm not expecting peak World Cup France to turn up in Dublin, they may win by a goal or two but a draw is absolutely possible as well, and much more likely than a 3 goal plus hammering. 

It won't count for anything in the end though, France and Holland will qualify easily from this group unless Greece have massively improved in the last year.

We will likely lose all 4 games vs France and Holland but honestly we should have no great fear of the dutch. They are not a great dutch side by any means. There is no Bergkamp,Cryuff or Van Basten about. A good team but not a great one. Greece are also not great and they haven't been for a while now. Very much our level. I am not a mentalist I think we are in competition with them for 3rd and 4th but if there is any hope it is vs the dutch. France a diff level of team completely to even them.
howieb View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote howieb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 10:47pm
Greece away is going to be a huge challenge to win. They've lost once at home since June 2019 and that was a one nil defeat to Spain. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2023 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Nialler Nialler wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Mainly on the fact that Kenny seems to set us up better against better teams and, being honest, France don't really need to win the game. They had draws with Bosnia and Ukraine (twice) last time out and lost and drew with Turkey in the previous campaign. 

A bit like the Portugal game in 2021, we were delighted with a point but it was fine for them too in terms of how the group was set up. In that context it wasn't near as impressive a result as it was made out to be. I'm not expecting peak World Cup France to turn up in Dublin, they may win by a goal or two but a draw is absolutely possible as well, and much more likely than a 3 goal plus hammering. 

It won't count for anything in the end though, France and Holland will qualify easily from this group unless Greece have massively improved in the last year.

We will likely lose all 4 games vs France and Holland but honestly we should have no great fear of the dutch. They are not a great dutch side by any means. There is no Bergkamp,Cryuff or Van Basten about. A good team but not a great one. Greece are also not great and they haven't been for a while now. Very much our level. I am not a mentalist I think we are in competition with them for 3rd and 4th but if there is any hope it is vs the dutch. France a diff level of team completely to even them.

The Dutch have a collection of world class defenders, a world class holding midfielder, a Liverpool striker, a host of top tier young talents, etc. They're easily in the top 10 international sides in the world. They are bona-fide 1st seeds who have somehow ended up in pot 2.
We're decent enough..
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 12:18am
World class is a stretch imo bar VVD. Frankie and De ligt haven't lit the place up since leaving Ajax. I like Gakpo he is a very good player  I think we have no chance of getting anything from France, the point is there is no Mbappe or Benzema's in that team. If there is hope it is getting something from them. They are far more capable of having an off night than France. I can imagine us having a 0-0 or famous 1-1 with them at home. They are 2nd seeds because they are capable of going through bad patches.

Edited by Nialler - 03 Feb 2023 at 12:30am
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:25am
Solid personnel in defence, a bit more quality up front and massive crowd input suggest we're capable of at least home draws with France and Netherlands. The big fat elephant in the room is Kenny/Andrews being embarrassingly inept. At a time when we have more talent on the pitch we remain hamstrung with substandard management. 

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 3:43am

World class is a stretch imo bar VVD. Frankie and De ligt haven't lit the place up since leaving Ajax. I like Gakpo he is a very good player  I think we have no chance of getting anything from France, the point is there is no Mbappe or Benzema's in that team. If there is hope it is getting something from them. They are far more capable of having an off night than France. I can imagine us having a 0-0 or famous 1-1 with them at home. They are 2nd seeds because they are capable of going through bad patches.

He's absolutely sh*te. 
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:32am

Its actually france who are second seeds! Netherlands win their nations league group
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:42am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Solid personnel in defence, a bit more quality up front and massive crowd input suggest we're capable of at least home draws with France and Netherlands. The big fat elephant in the room is Kenny/Andrews being embarrassingly inept. At a time when we have more talent on the pitch we remain hamstrung with substandard management. 

Yeah we would put you in mind of Chelsea under Potter or along them lines.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 03 Feb 2023 at 8:43am
ProudIrish View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ProudIrish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 8:53am
we shouldn’t fear the Netherlands . We should be competing in this group for 2nd. The problem is we have a very tough start to the group. As lads said home to France and away to Greece - really tough ask. If we manage to get 3 points from those two games we will be right in it . Even 1 point won’t rule us out if we can beat the Greeks at home 
Here we go again, we're on the road again
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:09am
It's very possible we will be out of contention before we start producing results.

Hamann spoke about this on RTE before - that Ireland only got positive results when it didn't matter - when we needed to get a result we always lost.

If you look at zizu's post above - we had good performances against Portugal x 2, Scotland and Belgium.

Portgual away - good performance and lost, the home game - we were well and truly out of contention and Portugal didn't need to win and were happy not to lose. Scotland win at home - great performance - but we were bottom of the NL at that stage and the Belgium side was basically a B side.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 9:24am
Originally posted by ProudIrish ProudIrish wrote:

we shouldn’t fear the Netherlands . We should be competing in this group for 2nd. The problem is we have a very tough start to the group. As lads said home to France and away to Greece - really tough ask. If we manage to get 3 points from those two games we will be right in it . Even 1 point won’t rule us out if we can beat the Greeks at home 
You're right. Our player quality has improved and looks capable of grabbing a home win over Netherlands. Very tough but far from impossible. Unfortunately our manager has not got that level of tactical nous, he's hopeless and most fans now know it.  

Banana_RepublicFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banana_RepublicFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 10:01am
The Netherlands were quite negative and defensive under LvG at The World Cup.

They'll switch back to 4-3-3 under Koeman.
dangere_here View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dangere_here Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:30pm

You're right. Our player quality has improved and looks capable of grabbing a home win over Netherlands. Very tough but far from impossible. Unfortunately our manager has not got that level of tactical nous, he's hopeless and most fans now know it.  

Come off it Brick, even when we pulled it off in 2001 it was jammy and that's with the likes of Keane, Duff, Keane, Finnan, Given and so on. No a f**king hope we're beating the Dutch in 2023 LOL I genuinely reckon the only guaranteed win we have is Gibraltar, and even then 4 points from 6 wouldn't be such a surprise. 7-8 points would be a realistic return in the group we have.

Edited by dangere_here - 03 Feb 2023 at 1:33pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2023 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by dangere_here dangere_here wrote:

Come off it Brick, even when we pulled it off in 2001 it was jammy and that's with the likes of Keane, Duff, Keane, Finnan, Given and so on. No a f**king hope we're beating the Dutch in 2023 LOL I genuinely reckon the only guaranteed win we have is Gibraltar, and even then 4 points from 6 wouldn't be such a surprise. 7-8 points would be a realistic return in the group we have.

TBF, he said capable, Turkey, Norway and Montenegro got results at home to Netherlands in previous campaign. We're as capable as them I'd say
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 69>
  Share Topic