You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2024 Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Berlin (Olympiastadion), Bremen (Weserstadion), Dortmund (Signal Iduna Park), Dresden (DDV-Stadion), Düsseldorf (ESPRIT Arena), Frankfurt (Commerzbank-Arena), Freiburg (new stadium planned), Gelsenkirchen (VELTINS-Arena), Hamburg (Volksparkstadion), Hanover (HDI Arena), Kaiserslautern (Fritz-Walter-Stadion), Karlsruhe (Wildparkstadion), Cologne (RheinEnergiestadion), Leipzig (Red Bull Arena), Mönchengladbach (Borussia-Park), Munich (Allianz Arena), Nuremberg (Stadion Nürnberg) and Stuttgart (Mercedes-Benz Arena).

Putting those in all-seated capacity order:
Berlin 74,000
Munich 70,000
Dortmund 65,000
Gelsenkirchen 55,000
Stuttgart 54,000
Hamburg 51,500
Dusseldorf 51,500

Then the remainder are generally between 40,000 and 50,000. Those seven above would all have to get games. That leaves three more. With three already in the NRW conurbation, I can't see Moenchengladbach or Cologne also getting to host.

With Frankfurt also likely to get games, on account of the city being well able to cope with the demands of hosting (certainly more suited than the competitors with similar sized stadiums), not to mention the corporate money they'll want to attract to the tournament, and the stadium being basically big enough, that leaves two more. I wouldn't be so confident on Hannover or Freiburg. Kaiserslautern and Nuremburg definitely have strong claims, and Leipzig has some claim to games too. I'd imagine they'd want two stadiums in Bavaria, just so Munich isn't so isolated (I know Stuttgart isn't that far away), so I'd imagine Nuremburg would get one of the two spots.

That would likely leave Leipzig, Freiburg, Hannover and Kaiserslautern. I imagine Leipzig would get it, based on geography. Much like 2006, it can't be an entirely West German tournament.

So if they get it, the ten I see being likely to get games are the seven above, Nuremburg, Leipzig and Frankfurt. I can't see Freiburg getting it, even with a new stadium. It just won't be big enough and Freiburg don't have the fan base to justify a 50,000 seater stadium. If they did get it, they'd push Nuremburg out, I imagine.
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:24pm
I think Cologne will end up with games - Overlooked in 1974, 2006 was their first crack at it. I'd certainly think they would e ahead of Hannover who've already had 2 goes. 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 4:55pm
Germany
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 5:31pm
Either way there will be 10 fantastic venues
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 7:32pm
Just go for this lot again. Was absolutely perfect... 
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

I think Cologne will end up with games - Overlooked in 1974, 2006 was their first crack at it. I'd certainly think they would e ahead of Hannover who've already had 2 goes. 

The rebuilding/updating of the Mungersdorf Stadium in Cologne was not finished in time for the 1974 World Cup.
Mulvanystrasse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mulvanystrasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2017 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Just go for this lot again. Was absolutely perfect... 

The only city that was hard to get into and out of by train on World Cup match days was Kaiserslautern. Due to the lack of accommodation in town most fans stayed in the cities east of 'lautern and many used the trains on match days leading to overcrowding. The Fritz Walter stadium is a great venue for Bundesliga games when there are only 4/5K away fans to get in and out of town. Would like to see Dusseldorf included, great city and great stadium with it's own u-bahn station.

Edited by Mulvanystrasse - 17 Feb 2017 at 9:28pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2017 at 3:41pm
Dusseldorf is a fantastic city and definitely deserves a set of games.

God I hope Germany gets it rather than Turkey. I'm sure Turkey would be great and secure but you'd be looking over your back in a way you wouldn't in Germany.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

God I hope Germany gets it rather than Turkey. I'm sure Turkey would be great and secure but you'd be looking over your back in a way you wouldn't in Germany.

Dusseldorf is great spent night there after Gelsenkirchen match, Only the one night but would like to revisit

Edited by lassassinblanc - 21 Feb 2017 at 10:55am
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Dusseldorf is great spent night there after Gelsenkirchen match, Only the one night but would like to revisit

Went on a lads trip a few years ago to Düsseldorf . One of my favourite cities in Germany . Great city to get around , plenty of bars and nice restaurants . It seems to have a bit more affluencey compared to other German cities .
Darraghn92 View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darraghn92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:33pm
Germany and Turkey the only two countres to submit a bid before the 3rd of March deadline UEFA confirmed
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Darraghn92 Darraghn92 wrote:

Germany and Turkey the only two countres to submit a bid before the 3rd of March deadline UEFA confirmed

ClapClapClapClapClap
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:19am
True.

As I said before, if UEFA won't award the tournament to Turkey when they are the only bidder, they're certainly not going to give it to them when they are up against Germany.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 10:22am
Yep. The fact they went out of their way not to give it to them speaks volumes. The 60th Anniversary of the first Euros was merely a convenient cloack for them.
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 2:25pm
Yup, hopefully. Depends on how many envelopes are passed around.

In other entirely unrelated news, Uli Hoeness has just been announced as an ambassador for the bid, which is being sponsored by Deutsche Post. So that's good.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 3:18pm
15 Cities have applied to host games : 

Berlin
Bremen
Dortmund
Dusseldorf
Frankfurt
Gelsenkirchen
Hamburg
Hannover
Kaiserslautern
Cologne
Leipzig
Monchengladbach
Munich
Nurnberg
Stuttgart 
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:23pm
UEFA have released the criteria for Euro 2024.
Strict human rights rules apply.
The only 2 bidders are Germany and Turkey.
Turkey have locked up 47,000 of its own citizens in the last 9 months since the coup attempt, including civil servants, judges, police, army personnel, journalists etc.

Germany 2024 it is so.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 7:36pm
Germany it is so should we qualify hope we don't have to go back to Gelsenkirchen absolute kip feck all in it. Trip to Berlin or Munich or perhaps a visit to Dortmund's fantastic stadium maybe a return to Stuttgart massive square for Cans Beer and unlike England we won't get into a Chair throwing competition like 06.   
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 11>
  Share Topic