Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2024 Germany

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

And given the size of Europe I dont think the sub hosts have to be beside Germany. Why not Ireland, its a few hrs flight which is nothing.
Fans should not be expected to go to the time, trouble and expense of flights in order to watch games in the tournament.

One of the joys of Euro2016 is that many fans travelled around France to watch games involving teams other than their own.

So if eg Germany were only to be the main host (as opposed to sole host), then fans should at least be able to travel to other sub-hosts by car, bus and train.

I mean, it's not as if there is any shortage of land neighbours who could do the job i.e. Austria, Belgium, Czech Rep, Denmark, France, Netherlands, Poland and Switzerland (we needn't count Luxembourg!)

What about the football fans from say Latvia or Slovenia who cant afford to travel to Germany and won't ever hold a EURO's. It would be great for them if they had one group so local fans could go to matches.
I'm trying to help out the little people and share the wealth. 

Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:07pm

What about the football fans from say Latvia or Slovenia who cant afford to travel to Germany and won't ever hold a EURO's. It would be great for them if they had one group so local fans could go to matches.
Latvia has a land border with Russia, and Slovenia with Italy.

And if you were to go down the route of sub-hosts, Latvia shares with Belarus, Lithuania and Estonia, whilst Slovenia has Austria, Croatia and Hungary as possible candidates.

In fact, the same principle applies to just about every member of UEFA, barring island nations, such as Iceland, Malta, Cyprus and the two Irelands   

I'm trying to help out the little people and share the wealth.

To be serious, UEFA is already helping out the little people by expanding the tournament to 24 teams.

I mean, just ask any of the "little people" who qualified for Euro2016 by coming third in their group and winning a play-off.

You know, like Hungary, Sweden and ROI...

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2017 at 3:09pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:24pm

I think the Euro 2020 format is sh*te tbh and would've loved if it was in Italy irrespective of us getting some group games in Dublin.

The only type of multi-hosts among the smaller countries I'd like to see which'd keep that tournament vibe in the one area and would have no more than 3/4 neighbouring host countries:

Balkans (Bosnia/Serbia/Croatia/Slovenia)

Low Countries (Netherlands/Belgium & Luxembourg) No harm adding Luxembourg to distinguish it a bit from Euro 2000

Baltic (Estonia/Lithuania/Latvia & Finland)

Scandinavia (Sweden/Denmark/Norway)

Caucauses (Georgia/Azerbaijan/Armenia) *Would need significant infrastructure with at least 4 new stadiums to be constructed. Probably not a goer.

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:50pm
Azerbaijan co-hosting a tournament with Armenia might need a *bit* more than a new stadium.

And that's leaving aside the Bosnia Serbia proposal too, which is (somehow) more sensible.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:53pm
Was about to say same thing, it be like getting North and South Korea to host LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:56pm
f**kin hell muff strikes again
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

I think the Euro 2020 format is sh*te tbh and would've loved if it was in Italy irrespective of us getting some group games in Dublin.

The only type of multi-hosts among the smaller countries I'd like to see which'd keep that tournament vibe in the one area and would have no more than 3/4 neighbouring host countries:

Low Countries (Netherlands/Belgium & Luxembourg) No harm adding Luxembourg to distinguish it a bit from Euro 2000

Caucauses (Georgia/Azerbaijan/Armenia) *Would need significant infrastructure with at least 4 new stadiums to be constructed. Probably not a goer.

I agree that the 2020 format is muck, it`s going to be more like a qualification campaign than a tournament. I think a lot more people would be saying that if we hadn't got games, they may yet say it if we don't qualify. Imagine a situation where England or even Scotland were playing group games out of Dublin while we sat at home.

Potentially only 2 of those sets of countries are a goer for hosting a tournament. You couldn't send Luxemburg to a tournament chiefly because they`d get bet out the door but also because the highest capacity stadium in Luxemburg is a 10,000 seater with a running track around it. 

It`s a similar situation with some of the Baltic countries.

As for the Balkans, there`s all kinds of historical issues there.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 4:14pm

They hate each other. Two of them have serious hooligan problems. Two of them are EU, two aren't. And they don't have 8 adequate stadia between them.

Luxembourg doesn't have an adequate stadium:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stade_Josy_Barthel
In fact, it might not even have enough footballs...

Meanwhile, Netherlands and Belgium between them only have four stadia with a capacity of over 35k - the minimum requirement for Euro2016 (though they sneaked Toulouse in with 33k):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_football_stadiums_in_the_Netherlands
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=list+of+football+stadium+in+belgium,+by+capacity&ie=&oe=

The biggest stadium in Finland currently has a capacity of 36k (though is due to be enlarged). The next biggest is 17k. And the biggest in the others are Estonia: 12k; Latvia: 10k; Lithuania: 9k.
Plus the weather's Baltic...

Only two stadia with a capacity of over 30k between them(Stockholm and Copenhagen), with the biggest (Stockholm) "only" holding 50k.

Now you really are taking the piss!

I mean, never mind the stadia and the infrastructure etc, you do realise that Azerbaijan and Armenia are still technically at war with each other? That they were fighting each other (over Nagorno Karabakh) as recently as last April, when at least 350 people died? And that you cannot travel directly between the two?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Nagorno-Karabakh_clashes

Poor oul Georgia would have to do some serious heavy lifting there!

Still, they could always get Katie Melua to sing at the Opening Ceremony, so that'd be a start...

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2017 at 4:17pm
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Potentially only 2 of those sets of countries are a goer for hosting a tournament. You couldn't send Luxemburg to a tournament chiefly because they`d get bet out the door but also because the highest capacity stadium in Luxemburg is a 10,000 seater with a running track around it. 

Maybe not with Lux but some of the Baltic countries could improve their best stadiums if they were awarded a EURO group knowing some big cash is on its way.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 4:42pm

Maybe not with Lux

"Maybe not Luxembourg"? Did you really post "Maybe"? Are you on drugs?

... some of the Baltic countries could improve their best stadiums if they were awarded a EURO group knowing some big cash is on its way.
Latvia's national stadium holds 10,007, the next biggest 5,083.
Lithuania's equivalents are 9,180 and 6,250, with Estonia's being 12,000 and 9,690.

How much "big cash" would it take to build from scratch an 80k Stadium (Final), 2 x 60k Stadia (Semi's and Quarters) and another 5 (minimum) with a capacity of at least 35k?

And that's before you get to the infrastructure - motorways, trains, international airports, hotels, burger vans, programme stalls and yon wee woman who sells the oranges outside the AVIVA...

And what are they going to do with these stadia afterwards? Bid for the Olympics?

I mean, you do realise that between them, they have a total population of just over six million?

I am reminded of an FAI bid for some tournament a while back.

It wasn't you who took the UEFA delegation to a field outside Dublin and said: "Here ya go, we've already a fence round it to keep the Travellers out, so it's coming on nicely..."

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2017 at 4:43pm
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 5:06pm
The only recent precedent for a multi-host tournament was in 2007 when the Asian Cup was played in Singapore, Vietnam, Indonesia and Malaysia.  It was not a success, none of the four made it out of the group stages, and all games not involving the hosts were sparsely attended, including the final.  Can see a similar thing happening if the Baltic countries hosted.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Maybe not with Lux

"Maybe not Luxembourg"? Did you really post "Maybe"? Are you on drugs?

... some of the Baltic countries could improve their best stadiums if they were awarded a EURO group knowing some big cash is on its way.
Latvia's national stadium holds 10,007, the next biggest 5,083.
Lithuania's equivalents are 9,180 and 6,250, with Estonia's being 12,000 and 9,690.

How much "big cash" would it take to build from scratch an 80k Stadium (Final), 2 x 60k Stadia (Semi's and Quarters) and another 5 (minimum) with a capacity of at least 35k?

And that's before you get to the infrastructure - motorways, trains, international airports, hotels, burger vans, programme stalls and yon wee woman who sells the oranges outside the AVIVA...

And what are they going to do with these stadia afterwards? Bid for the Olympics?

I mean, you do realise that between them, they have a total population of just over six million?

I am reminded of an FAI bid for some tournament a while back.

It wasn't you who took the UEFA delegation to a field outside Dublin and said: "Here ya go, we've already a fence round it to keep the Travellers out, so it's coming on nicely..."

What the hell are you smoking? It must be really good stuff

I was talking about a single group being awarded to a smaller nation - the whole point of the previous few posts!! Not the whole bloody Euro's you nutter.

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:29pm
I don't mind the 24 team Euro tournament with the best 3rd place thingy.
The 1986 Mexico WC used that format and it was great.

UEFA probably know it's not popular.
But don't worry, UEFA will solve this particular problem by........expanding it to a 32 team finals tournament.
The 2028 Euro tournament finals will feature 32 teams.
8 groups of 4, top 2 in each group go thru to knockout round.
By the time the qualifying begins, Jersey, Greenland, Monaco, Northern Cyprus etc will be UEFA members bringing the total up to around 60 members.

Top 3 in each qualifying group qualifies along with host or hosts, or something along those lines.
If there was a vote in the morning to expand it, it would probably sail through.
Only the Germans would oppose it, ironic given that they are one of the 5 or 6 countries that could host it and make a fortune from it.
Before we start packing our bags just remember we only finished 4th in the group qualifying for 2006 WC and 2014 WC.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:32pm

What the hell are you smoking? It must be really good stuff

I was talking about a single group being awarded to a smaller nation - the whole point of the previous few posts!! Not the whole bloody Euro's you nutter.
Sorry, I got high on a whiff of whatever it is irishmufc was smoking, when he suggested sharing the whole tournament amongst regional blocs, such as the Baltics or Balkans etc.

But even with your suggestion, if you awarded one Group (i.e. four teams) to one neighbouring country, then you'd still be stuck with staging the main tournament itself in one of the same handful of countries capable of hosting 20 teams in 7 or 8 different stadia.

Thereafter, if you chose a smaller nation for one Group from, say, the Baltics, that nation would need at least two modern stadia with a capacity of 35k+ to host their group games. (In Euro2016, each team actually played their Group games in 3 different stadia)

Which would almost certainly mean two, even three, brand new builds.

Which the host FA could not afford, and would have zero need for after.

Meaning that UEFA would have to pay for them, which they won't do, since they don't pay even the Big Boys for tournament stadia, never mind supply expensive White Elephants to the Little Guys.

In short, it ain't gonna happen.

Edited by Territorial - 24 Jan 2017 at 11:34pm
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2017 at 11:55pm

Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Maybe not with Lux but some of the Baltic countries could improve their best stadiums if they were awarded a EURO group knowing some big cash is on its way.
The likes of Estonia and Latvia are trying to build up basic infrastructure after EU membership.
I`ve been out there so I've seen it first hand.
They aren't in a position to host a major international tournament.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:07am
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

I don't mind the 24 team Euro tournament with the best 3rd place thingy.
The 1986 Mexico WC used that format and it was great.

UEFA probably know it's not popular.
But don't worry, UEFA will solve this particular problem by........expanding it to a 32 team finals tournament.
The 2028 Euro tournament finals will feature 32 teams.
8 groups of 4, top 2 in each group go thru to knockout round.
By the time the qualifying begins, Jersey, Greenland, Monaco, Northern Cyprus etc will be UEFA members bringing the total up to around 60 members.

Top 3 in each qualifying group qualifies along with host or hosts, or something along those lines.
If there was a vote in the morning to expand it, it would probably sail through.
Only the Germans would oppose it, ironic given that they are one of the 5 or 6 countries that could host it and make a fortune from it.
Before we start packing our bags just remember we only finished 4th in the group qualifying for 2006 WC and 2014 WC.
There are serious hopes that Northern Cyprus will be condemned to history as there seems to be genuine progress in reunification talks on the island. Greenland, while 'owned' by Denmark, is part of the North American continent. Then again, see Armenia,Azerbaijan, Israel etc.
Monaco should be allowed play international football, they have more of a claim than many countries that do for a start, they have only recently become interested in applying for UEFA or FIFA membership. 
Jersey have little interest.

coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:27am
Going very off topic here.

But why isn't Monaco considered a Country. And if its because it's considered a City state then so is Singapore and they have their own National team with FIFA membership.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 1:37am
I think it's just the case that they've never bother applied to FIFA for membership. Could be wrong, mind.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 11>
  Share Topic