Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 Qualifying

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 59606162>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2019 at 6:45pm
Austria and Croatia struggling. Probably not best news for us, but there’s bound to be a few teams above us who won’t qualify given we are ranked 23. 
Sponsored Links

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:37am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

If all the league A teams qualify, are the 4 best league B teams who haven't qualified put into League A, or are they in the league B qualifier and the next best four unqualified teams in the league A qualifier? 

For arguments sake if the 20 teams that qualify are all from League A and B( let’s assume it’s 12 teams from League A and 8 from League B) then the 4 remaining League B teams would go into the League B playoff and the next 4 highest teams from League C would go into the League A playoff. Essentially you won’t get penalized for your ranking as Ireland will only be moved up to League A if there is already 4 higher ranked teams in the league B playoff. So in the scenario that a Portugal misses out it’s highly likely that they’ll be up against League C and very lowly ranked League B teams in the playoffs. Complicated I know 😂 

This isn't correct.  In such a scenario two of the League B countries would go up to League A with home semi finals v League C opposition.  

There are numerous different scenarios and some involve group winners.

In simple terms for a playoff we need

1)  15 or more of the countries ahead of us qualifying directly or just 7+ of the 10 higher ranked League B countries qualifying directly.  

For a home semi final we need

1)  19 or more of the countries ahead of us qualifying directly or just 9+ of the 10 higher ranked League B countries qualifying directly.  
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:01pm
It's such a strange concept when you think about it. Finishing 3rd or 4th or 5th in our group doesn't really matter, as it all comes down to who else qualifies from the other groups for us to get a playoff (which is quite likely). Not sure if my head around it properly or not based on what gspain said, but from what I can see it would be likely we would be away to another League B side if we were to miss out on top two in our group.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

If all the league A teams qualify, are the 4 best league B teams who haven't qualified put into League A, or are they in the league B qualifier and the next best four unqualified teams in the league A qualifier? 

For arguments sake if the 20 teams that qualify are all from League A and B( let’s assume it’s 12 teams from League A and 8 from League B) then the 4 remaining League B teams would go into the League B playoff and the next 4 highest teams from League C would go into the League A playoff. Essentially you won’t get penalized for your ranking as Ireland will only be moved up to League A if there is already 4 higher ranked teams in the league B playoff. So in the scenario that a Portugal misses out it’s highly likely that they’ll be up against League C and very lowly ranked League B teams in the playoffs. Complicated I know 😂 

This isn't correct.  In such a scenario two of the League B countries would go up to League A with home semi finals v League C opposition.  

There are numerous different scenarios and some involve group winners.

In simple terms for a playoff we need

1)  15 or more of the countries ahead of us qualifying directly or just 7+ of the 10 higher ranked League B countries qualifying directly.  

For a home semi final we need

1)  19 or more of the countries ahead of us qualifying directly or just 9+ of the 10 higher ranked League B countries qualifying directly.  

The 16 teams will be selected based on their performance in the 2018–19 UEFA Nations League. These teams will be divided into four paths, each containing four teams, with one team from each path qualifying for the final tournament.[6] Each league will have its own play-off path if at least four teams are available. The Nations League group winners will automatically qualify for the play-off path of their league. If a group winner has already qualified through the conventional qualifying group stage, they will be replaced by the next best-ranked team in the same league. However, if there are not enough teams in the same league, then the spot will go to the next best team in the overall ranking. However, group winners cannot face teams from a higher league.[5]

Not saying your incorrect but what is your source for the situation where they would move two League B teams up to League A if there were only 4 League B teams left.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying_play-offs

“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:53pm
This is the overall rankings for the UEFA Nations League which will be used to determine the UEFA Euro 2020 Playoffs. The 16 Group winners as highlighted in yellow are all guaranteed a playoff. From my understanding and I’ll be happy to be proven wrong is that if a group winner has already qualified they will be replaced by the next highest ranked team in the same league. For example if Ukraine qualifies automatically then Russia will take their place and so on. If there isn’t enough teams in League B to fill the playoff spot then it would go to the highest ranked team in League C who isn’t a group winner. In this scenario it would be Bulgaria. However if one of the group winners from Group C had already qualified then Bulgaria would move into the League C playoff and Israel would move into the League B playoff. Yes this is complicated but I’m fairly confident I’m correct in my assessment but happy to be proven wrong.

For arguments sake let’s assume these are the 20 teams that qualify through the Euro 2020 qualifiers:

Group A (England and Czech Republic) Group B (Portugal and Ukraine) Group C (Germany and Netherlands) Group D ( Switzerland and Denmark) Group E (Croatia and Wales), Group F (Spain and Sweden) Group G (Poland and Austria) Group H (France and Turkey) Group I (Belgium and Russia) Group H (Italy and Bosnia)

The way the format works is the two highest ranked teams get a home semifinal against the two lower ranked teams according to their overall Nations League ranking. I believe the semifinals for the Euro 2020 playoffs would be:

League D
Georgia vs Belarus
Macedonia vs Kosovo 

League C
Scotland vs Finland 
Norway vs Serbia 

League B
Slovakia vs Bulgaria 
Ireland vs Northern Ireland 

League A
Iceland vs Romania
Israel vs Hungary 

“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 12:55pm
Us and the North f**king hell LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Very unlikely but could you imagine that for a game 😂 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 1:12pm

It's massively likely (bout 40% in my opinion), if we both don't get auto qualification. It'll most likely* either be them (the team below us) or Turkey (or the team above us) in the first round of the playoffs

* I realise there's a chance one of us could be bunked to another group depending on who qualifies
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

It's massively likely (bout 40% in my opinion), if we both don't get auto qualification. It'll most likely* either be them (the team below us) or Turkey (or the team above us) in the first round of the playoffs

* I realise there's a chance one of us could be bunked to another group depending on who qualifies

It is highly highly unlikely that we could meet NI in a semi final.  It would take 19 of the qualifiers to be teams above us.  A semi final meeting can only be in the Aviva.  

There is a high chance we could end up in the same playoff.  This would mean if we both won our semi finals we'd meet for a place in Euro2020.  
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 8:20pm

[QUOTE=gspain][QUOTE=AonSceal19][QUOTE=cildaratown]

Not saying your incorrect but what is your source for the situation where they would move two League B teams up to League A if there were only 4 League B teams left.

See the video

If less than 4 league A teams are left then they must move up teams from the lower leagues to fill the league A spots.  
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:19pm

Becoming big fans of Turkey and the Ukraine and some of the other League B teams that might not qualify in their group. Would love a first round game vs the North and a final game vs a League C opponent. 
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 9:40pm

Becoming big fans of Turkey and the Ukraine and some of the other League B teams that might not qualify in their group. Would love a first round game vs the North and a final game vs a League C opponent. 

yes important late goal in Luxembourg.

Serbia matching the point in Lisbon though.  

I really don't want Ukraine away in a playoff.  
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:16pm

yes important late goal in Luxembourg.

Serbia matching the point in Lisbon though.  

I really don't want Ukraine away in a playoff.  

Glad the Ukraine pulled through, but wish Portugal was able to beat Serbia. Given the Ukraine's ranking, I'd guess we'd see them in a final versus the first leg.

Right now it looks like Austria is really struggling and could end up in the playoffs. Ukraine, Austria, us, and the North wouldn't be a playoff I'd fancy us to get out of, but we did end up beating Austria the other year. 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 10:18pm

[QUOTE=gspain][QUOTE=AonSceal19][QUOTE=cildaratown]

See the video

If less than 4 league A teams are left then they must move up teams from the lower leagues to fill the league A spots.  

Ya I’ve seen that video. If there isn’t enough teams in League A that doesn’t necessirarly mean that it must be a League B team that moves up. My understanding is that they fill up the playoff spots for League B before moving onto League A. They also fill up the playoff spots for League C before moving onto League B and the same applies for League D. The rules for the playoff format on the Wikipedia page which is sourced from UEFA itself seems to back that up.

Let’s say for Arguments sake that all League A teams except Portugal and Iceland have qualified. In League B there is also two playoff spots to fill and only Slovakia, Ireland and Northern Ireland have failed to qualify. In League C there is one playoff spot to fill also as Serbia has qualified ahead of Portugal. It would not be fair on Slovakia to move up to the League A Playoffs with Ireland as they are higher ranked in the Nations League. Northern Ireland moving in to the League B playoff would be unfair since they are getting rewarded from being lower ranked than Slovakia and Ireland. Bulgaria moving up to the League B playoff would also be unfair as Israel who are ranked one spot below them get to stay in the League C playoff. This is why a team will only move up to a higher league when all 4 playoff spots in their league has been filled. It therefore is quite likely to see League C teams in the League A playoff. Regulations quoted below.

Path formationEdit

The 16 selected teams will then be allocated to paths of 4 teams. This is designed so that group winners will not have to compete with teams from a higher league in the play-off stage. Starting with League D and working up to League A:[6]

1. Form a path with four teams from the same league.
  2. If there are more than four teams qualified in a given league, group winners are automatically allocated to that league's path. Then, draw which remaining teams will participate in the play-off path of that league.
  3. Remaining teams are drawn into a path of a higher league.

Additional conditions may be applied, subject to approval, including seeding principles and the possibility of final tournament hosts having to be drawn into different paths.[1] If there are no teams from League A (i.e. they have all qualified directly for UEFA Euro 2020), then this procedure will result in four teams from lower leagues being allocated to the path of League A”.

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:34pm
Portugal dropping points again is bad news for us but Ukraine winning is a relief. Kosovo and Bulgaria ending in a draw is a good result as it keeps Czech Republic in touching distance of 2nd. We probably want England to run away with the group in the same way we would like the French to run away with their group. Hopefully Turkey finish 2nd even though Iceland are on paper a League A team. Croatia losing away to Hungary defeating Croatia yesterday was a bad result for us but in the Long run maybe it’ll end up being a positive as you’d expect Croatia to bounce back and finish in the top 2 and maybe it’ll enhance the chances of the Welsh pipping the Slovaks to a top 2 position as I’d rather face them. Obviously as long as 2 out of Croatia, Wales and Slovakia qualify then it’ll benefit us. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2019 at 11:37pm

Portugal dropping points again is bad news for us but Ukraine winning is a relief. Kosovo and Bulgaria ending in a draw is a good result as it keeps Czech Republic in touching distance of 2nd. We probably want England to run away with the group in the same way we would like the French to run away with their group. Hopefully Turkey finish 2nd even though Iceland are on paper a League A team. Croatia losing away to Hungary defeating Croatia yesterday was a bad result for us but in the Long run maybe it’ll end up being a positive as you’d expect Croatia to bounce back and finish in the top 2 and maybe it’ll enhance the chances of the Welsh pipping the Slovaks to a top 2 position as I’d rather face them. Obviously as long as 2 out of Croatia, Wales and Slovakia qualify then it’ll benefit us. 

Wouldn't be the end of the world if League A Croatia don't make it. If we are in the playoffs I'd rather face Group C teams, so we'd want as many Group A teams to qualify as possible
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 2:11pm
Hoping for a Swiss win or a draw tonight guys?
A Danish win I think would be bad for us.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2019 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Hoping for a Swiss win or a draw tonight guys?
A Danish win I think would be bad for us.

Unfortunately I actually fancy the Danes to win. I think they have one of the best defensive records in Europe. They’ll grind out a win for me.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 59606162>
  Share Topic