You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Poll Question: Where will Ireland finish?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [7.32%]
30 [36.59%]
45 [54.88%]
1 [1.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Euro 2020 qualifying: Group D
    Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 11:54am
It’s basically a 4 team group and top 2 qualify.
We are guaranteed a play-off so you hope that means we can take more risks.

Our away form is actually not too bad, we are hard to beat. The main problem is beating teams at home.
We need to take 6 points from Georgia and beat one of Switzerland/Denmark at home.

Switzerland are very good in qualifying so I think it’s between us and Denmark.

Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:00pm
Put the mortgage on us being third.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Put the mortgage on us being turd.

FixedLOL

Ah no I am optimistic we can run whoever close for 2nd spot.  We should have points on the board early and momentum on our side. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:45pm
I decided to be optimistic and go for 2nd I really think with a good start of hopefully 10 points from the opening 4 games leaves us in a very strong position.

If you look at the average points needed for 2nd place in a 5 team group is 13/14 points. If we get that 10 points would we be capable of getting another win and a draw from the remaining games?

I think so.

Again hopefully the Swiss can beat Denmark in their game, that would coupled with ourselves getting a point in Copenhagen would put them on 4* points and ourselves on 10 (giving that they beat Georgia at home).

Yes we'll have to play Switzerland twice, Georgia away and then Denmark at home but the Danish would have Georgia away and Switzerland at home as well as ourselves away to make up a 6 point gap
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

FixedLOL

Ah no I am optimistic we can run whoever close for 2nd spot.  We should have points on the board early and momentum on our side. 
Why the optimism? Realistically, third is our level. I'm genuinely at a loss at it. It seems to be solely based on our ability to beat Gibraltar and Georgia.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:49pm
Well I am thinking Mick probably has more ideas than "Hoof it out to the wing for McClean to chase" and "put it on Duffy's head" so with that in mind I'd be a lot more confident than before
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:52pm

FixedLOL

Why the optimism? Realistically, third is our level. I'm genuinely at a loss at it. It seems to be solely based on our ability to beat Gibraltar and Georgia.
Totally agree it will come down to our ability to beat denmark or the swiss in of our 4 games against them IF we can do this then we can talk about second because the Danes and the Swiss will.also beat the other 2 teams.
If any team is more likely to slip you against Georgia its us 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by DangerHere DangerHere wrote:

Well I am thinking Mick probably has more ideas than "Hoof it out to the wing for McClean to chase" and "put it on Duffy's head" so with that in mind I'd be a lot more confident than before

This.

I also can't see Mick going with a right back in centre midfield

Edited by lassassinblanc - 03 Dec 2018 at 12:53pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 12:59pm
I am sure he has too, but he can't make us a midfield! Even if he can, it will take at least 18 years for them to be ready!
I have no doubt we will improve under Mick, but improving enough in the time space involved, in international football, is almost unheard of.
Denmark strolled through two games with us asleep and we couldn't lay a glove on them. They have a brilliant defence, goalkeeper and midfield, as well as a couple of lads with pace.
Switzerland are a very well organised, technically capable side with players spread across Europe's top leagues and an unbelievable talent in Shaqiri who seems to perform better in international football.
I know people think I am just negative, but nobody seems to stop and assess the situation objectively.
We will need to beat one of Switzerland and Denmark at least once and can only afford to lose one, drawing the others. We would need a mountain of luck the size of the Matterhorn for that to happen.
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:03pm
we have plenty of midfielders . The problem is that clown o Neill didn’t play with a midfield or midfielders. That middle area of the pitch he just seemed to throw in whoever he liked as it made no odds to his game plan. My first choice midfield would be McCarthy and arter. That’s a premiership midfield. A bit of bite and passing ability. Not to mention the other options. Browne , hourihane, Whelan etc. 

Edited by Pauldaly1984 - 03 Dec 2018 at 1:04pm
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

FixedLOL

Totally agree it will come down to our ability to beat denmark or the swiss in of our 4 games against them IF we can do this then we can talk about second because the Danes and the Swiss will.also beat the other 2 teams.

TBH if l look at Denmark record against Eastern Bloc countries it doens't make for good reading against them.

They have struggled to break down teams at times relying heavily on Christian Eriksen in the last few years to unlock teams.

As we showed under MON bar that one game if you are resolute then you can frustrate them and get points off them.

Would I be happy with four boring 0-0's against both games with them, If it helps us qualify then YES!!
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:15pm

I am sure he has too, but he can't make us a midfield! Even if he can, it will take at least 18 years for them to be ready!
I have no doubt we will improve under Mick, but improving enough in the time space involved, in international football, is almost unheard of.
Denmark strolled through two games with us asleep and we couldn't lay a glove on them. They have a brilliant defence, goalkeeper and midfield, as well as a couple of lads with pace.
Switzerland are a very well organised, technically capable side with players spread across Europe's top leagues and an unbelievable talent in Shaqiri who seems to perform better in international football.
I know people think I am just negative, but nobody seems to stop and assess the situation objectively.
We will need to beat one of Switzerland and Denmark at least once and can only afford to lose one, drawing the others. We would need a mountain of luck the size of the Matterhorn for that to happen.

And bar the one game were we gave Eriksen the freedom of Dublin did they actually score against us. I can't see us doing that again.

I don't buy that they have a better defense then us, equal perhaps but not better

Their defense against us in Dublin last time out was Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Jorgensen, Stryger Larsen

That is one Championship, one lower PL defender, one lower Serie A and Kjaer being the exception

Our strongest back 4 contains 3 mid/lower PL players.

Schmeichel I'll agree is better then Randolph but the only member of their back 4 I'd 100% want would be Kjaer

.....Preparing myself now for a PM backlash Wink

Edited by lassassinblanc - 03 Dec 2018 at 1:16pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:20pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

we have plenty of midfielders . The problem is that clown o Neill didn’t play with a midfield or midfielders. That middle area of the pitch he just seemed to throw in whoever he liked as it made no odds to his game plan. My first choice midfield would be McCarthy and arter. That’s a premiership midfield. A bit of bite and passing ability. Not to mention the other options. Browne , hourihane, Whelan etc. 
McCarthy hasn't played in over two years. There has also been questions about his application. His standout performances have been few and far between. There is no doubting he is capable, but I would have huge doubts about him ever showing it again for us.
I think my views on Arter's ability are known. I used to think he wasn't interested, I have since realised he just isn't very good.
Browne and Hourihane both give the ball away a lot in the Championship. I know the latter's passing statistics are quite good, but I have watched Villa's last three games and he can be very sloppy in possession and at important times. I would love the two Cork lads to be of the required standard but they are not. 
As much as I have admired and respected Whelan's contributions 
to the Irish team, the fact he is even being seriously mentioned shows our limitations in this area. We don't have players who can retain possession in key areas and at key times, we don't have anybody who can play defence splitting passes. We have limited journeymen, many with poor technique that we expect to compete with talented players playing for some of the biggest teams in Europe's best leagues.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:25pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

FixedLOL
The Swiss and Danes have both screwed up in the past out in Georgia. However this time I think the Danes are a more likely to slip up than the quietly efficient Swiss.

Edited by colemanY2K - 03 Dec 2018 at 1:26pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

And bar the one game were we gave Eriksen the freedom of Dublin did they actually score against us. I can't see us doing that again.

I don't buy that they have a better defense then us, equal perhaps but not better

Their defense against us in Dublin last time out was Dalsgaard, Kjaer, Jorgensen, Stryger Larsen

That is one Championship, one lower PL defender, one lower Serie A and Kjaer being the exception

Schmeichel I'll agree is better then Randolph but the only member of their back 4 I'd 100% want would be Kjaer

They have a genuine top class goalkeeper and a brilliant leader in Kjaer. Two things we are lacking.
I do agree that we can be well organised and difficult to beat, but how are we going to beat anybody? Even with a decent defence, which I think we have, it is very difficult to stop good teams from scoring when they will have close to two-thirds of the ball. Denmark weren't arsed about scoring in the last two games and I would always argue, and so would Hareide, that a scoreless draw at home in a two-legged tie is a good result, especially against a side that doesn't score many. I think that if we had played Denmark in a must win game they would have won.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:34pm
Main problem for us is that the Swiss and Danes very rarely lose qualifiers.

For us to sneak into second, we're probably going to have beat one of them at least once.
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:34pm
We could do with Switzerland beating Denmark twice, or vice versa. 
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2018 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

They have a genuine top class goalkeeper and a brilliant leader in Kjaer. Two things we are lacking.
I do agree that we can be well organised and difficult to beat, but how are we going to beat anybody? Even with a decent defence, which I think we have, it is very difficult to stop good teams from scoring when they will have close to two-thirds of the ball. Denmark weren't arsed about scoring in the last two games and I would always argue, and so would Hareide, that a scoreless draw at home in a two-legged tie is a good result, especially against a side that doesn't score many. I think that if we had played Denmark in a must win game they would have won.

As I said I agree, in the last game in Aarhus Denmark weren't arsed(neither did we mind) which is why I went with the lineup against us in Dublin in Nations League only one team did look like winning that but even then the Danes only had one real chance which was the Kjaer header cleared off the line.

As I said above the Danish have struggled to break teams down who are resolute in defense. We showed that in Copenhagen and Aarhus and during the World Cup they struggled against Australia and Peru.

I really think we McCarthy has us playing with am actually game plan we can take points off them.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic