Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2020 qualifiers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by Crap senior Crap senior wrote:

Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by Paul Andrew White Paul Andrew White wrote:

Shame on you Scotland!! I think the only one who can bring them back again is king Kenny Dalglish

How would Dalglish do things differently ?

Steve Clarke took up a huge challenge with things already wrecked before he even signed his contract. I'm fully behind Clarke and will give him time. I am reminded of the atrocious start Michael O'Neil made as the IFA team manager but how it very gradually began to get better for them.

I am expect another doing when we go to Moscow next month, so he must start to rebuild slowly but surely with a home win against San Marino, an away win against Cyprus and a home win against Kazakhstan.

Anyone who was expecting him to work miracles against a top team such as Belgium clearly can't tell the difference between a Football Manager 2020 or FIFA 20 game and harsh reality.

I do have some hope that players such as Billy Gilmour, David Turnbull and Fraser Hornby may progressively improve things.
who does hornby play with?
Nobody, he just trains...
Sponsored Links

DUBLIN DOC View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:45pm

Shame on you Scotland!! I think the only one who can bring them back again is king Kenny Dalglish

Steve Clarke took up a huge challenge with things already wrecked before he even signed his contract. I'm fully behind Clarke and will give him time. I am reminded of the atrocious start Michael O'Neil made as the IFA team manager but how it very gradually began to get better for them.

I am expect another doing when we go to Moscow next month, so he must start to rebuild slowly but surely with a home win against San Marino, an away win against Cyprus and a home win against Kazakhstan.

Anyone who was expecting him to work miracles against a top team such as Belgium clearly can't tell the difference between a Football Manager 2020 or FIFA 20 game and harsh reality.

I do have some hope that players such as Billy Gilmour, David Turnbull and Fraser Hornby may progressively improve things.
Train sets
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Nobody, he just trains...

LOL
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I think the scots should have kept strachan. Did a decent job. Defo have some decent players on paper anyway. Really made a balls of this group tho. Belguim aside they should be challenging for 2nd spot. 

Let's have a look at Strachan's record.

Had a hazy start but eventually got up a head of steam and got surprise wins against Croatia home and away. 

Brought wee Anya into the team who became a cult hero and turned the previously ineffective Shaun Maloney into basically our best player.

Yet his reluctance to trust youth and an obsession with always playing Barry Bannan (not good enough) ultimately cost him. He had also wasted some time trying to accommodate Charlie Adam who couldn't hack it at international level.

If he had brought Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong, Ryan Fraser into the team about twelve months or so earlier than he did (and fans were calling for their inclusion) and trusted Andy Robertson rather than leaving him on the bench for a number of games then he might still be the Scotland manager today !

Then came the poor results against team like Canada, Slovakia and Lithuania , His blaming the Lithuania draw on young Oli Burke was disgraceful management of a young player. Oh and playing for a draw in Dublin ......

His comments about Scottish players supposedly inferior genetics where a proper WTF moment. He had clearly lost the plot by that point.

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

You aren’t going to do much with Charlie Mulgrew still starting 

Take a look at the other central defenders available for Clarke tonight and in addition those who were injured and unavailable. It's not a good pool to select from. You end up just having to go with Mulgrew and hope for the best.

In fairness to Mulgrew he does at least put the effort in which some don't.

Personally I'd like Craig Halkett at Hearts to be given a go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Tom McIntyre at Reading turns out half decent.

who does hornby play with?[/QUOTE]

He's just went on loan to K.V. Kortrijk in Belgium from Everton,

He's available on the OO Gauge and highly valued by collectors.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 11:01pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

Just to clarify, if we finish 3rd in our group, we want the following teams to qualify from their groups:

Group A - England & Czech Rep
Group B - Portugal & Ukraine
Group C - Germany & Holland
Group D - Switz & Denmark
Group E - 2 from Croatia/Wales/Slovakia
Group F - Spain & Sweden
Group G - Poland & Austria
Group H - 2 from France/Iceland/Turkey
Group I - Belgium & Russia
Group J - Italy & Bosnia

Is that right?

Yep, correct. Bosnia looking very dodgy though, Czechs, Sweden & Austria have a bit to do yet. All others looking OK, though Hungary could force 2 from the Croatia group into playoffs as well. The rest all look good (well, hopefully not Den & Swiss)

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:50pm
Kosovo 1-0 up against England
The only way is up
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:53pm
1-1 now. It was good while it lasted.
The only way is up
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:01pm
England 5 Kosovo 3. 35 minutes left. LOL
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 9:30pm
Just the 4 goals for Ronnie tonight. 
He should get to 100 international goals soon. On 93 at the moment.

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 11:25pm
Remember England fans used to boo Raheem Sterling not so long ago 

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 5:00am
Seen a video of him giving his shirt and boots to a young kid in the crowd. 

Has become a great role model at a relatively young age, despite certain media outlets' best attempts.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:34am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Has become a great role model at a relatively young age, despite certain media outlets' best attempts.
Absolutely nothing against RS, who seems to be a good guy etc.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the boot/kit manufacturers "encourage" players to do such things, since it gives great exposure to their products.

(Wasn't their some player whose contract specified that he must "celebrate" after scoring? Neymar maybe?)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 11:43am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Absolutely nothing against RS, who seems to be a good guy etc.

But I wouldn't be surprised if the boot/kit manufacturers "encourage" players to do such things, since it gives great exposure to their products.

(Wasn't their some player whose contract specified that he must "celebrate" after scoring? Neymar maybe?)

Neymar was/is also allegedly paid to wave/salute fans at the end of games too Wacko
El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:02pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Neymar was/is also allegedly paid to wave/salute fans at the end of games too Wacko

Thought so.

Apparently he gets fined if he doesn't! LOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:25pm
Well, I think the issue is that for some reason under French labour law, he couldn't be fined if he didn't and it is an expected part of the job so rather than paying him an appearance bonus of €10k or whatever, they pay him a "thank the fans" bonus instead. It's a matter of nomenclature rather than substance. The outcome is the same.

Option (a) is pay him €10k per appearance but fine him €10k if he doesn't thank the fans after the game.
Option (b) is pay him €10k to thank the fans after each game.

There is nothing unusual about option (a), it's just that there is some reason they can't use that.

Edit: I have no sources for any of this, of course, but I recall reading something along those lines somewhere.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 11 Sep 2019 at 12:26pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Well, I think the issue is that for some reason under French labour law, he couldn't be fined if he didn't and it is an expected part of the job so rather than paying him an appearance bonus of €10k or whatever, they pay him a "thank the fans" bonus instead. It's a matter of nomenclature rather than substance. The outcome is the same.

Option (a) is pay him €10k per appearance but fine him €10k if he doesn't thank the fans after the game.
Option (b) is pay him €10k to thank the fans after each game.

There is nothing unusual about option (a), it's just that there is some reason they can't use that.

Edit: I have no sources for any of this, of course, but I recall reading something along those lines somewhere.

That sounds right.

Either way, it's pretty farcical and taking the fans for a ride - not that the Glory Hunters who must make up half of PSG's support don't deserve it.

Edited by Territorial - 11 Sep 2019 at 1:32pm
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Just the 4 goals for Ronnie tonight. 
He should get to 100 international goals soon. On 93 at the moment.

He'll be aiming for Ali Die's record of 121 I think it is.

Ronaldo HeartClap
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:52pm
Amazing if he really does play until 40,and what kind of level he could be at then?Interesting how little he's been injured over the years. Luck or some kind of special training he does?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 19>
  Share Topic