You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020: Group D CRO, CZP, ENG, SCO

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Scotland's 'keeper and defence are lower championship/league 1 standard at best.

They've some decent midfielders but I'm not buying that they're a vastly improved team as many seem to think these days.
Players from Leeds and Liverpool there 

It's a 3-5-2 isn't it?

----------Marshall
Hendry - Hanley - Cooper

It's poor on paper and possibly even poorer on the pitch. 

Robertson is actually playing as a midfielder here by the looks of things.
Bit harsh,Cooper captain of Leedscand Hanley captain of Norwich who ran away with the EFL. The czech centre half plays for Bristol City...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:35pm
Hanley is a dreadful defender though, always has been.

McTominay and Adams must be wishing they held out for England at this point. McTominay especially.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:38pm
Youd fear for Scotland against England....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:42pm
To be fair to Scotland they have played fairly well going forward and created some good chances. What was Hanley doing shooting from that far out in the lead up to the second goal I'll never know. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

To be fair to Scotland they have played fairly well going forward and created some good chances. What was Hanley doing shooting from that far out in the lead up to the second goal I'll never know. 

That was Jack Hendry.

I thought Scotland played relatively well, they've had a number of good opportunities to score and have been a little unlucky not to score.

You can't fault their effort.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:50pm
The worldie lob will be the headline but conceding a goal right before half time is always a killer. I think overall its been 50/50. The Czechs were just more clinical
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
Scotland and North Macedonia not doing much for UEFA's let the lower league Nations League teams qualify for the Euros idea. Might need to be revisited for the next tournament.

Could be a long week ahead for the Scots after this. Shades of us at Euro 2012 but we were in a much tougher group.
dundon13 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dundon13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by dundon13 dundon13 wrote:

That was Jack Hendry.

I thought Scotland played relatively well, they've had a number of good opportunities to score and have been a little unlucky not to score.

You can't fault their effort.

My bad, not as bad as Hanley shooting from that far out but still not great. The Czechs have been far more clinical and that's the difference. Dykes had a great chance but side footed it straight to the keeper.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 3:55pm
The least Scotland needed was a goal from that. The consolation that would buffer them in the event they snag a win in the next two games, but are relying on the 3rd place slot.

That being said, as turgid as yesterday's game was, England will give Scotland even less of an opportunity to play, and if Croatia can play to the strengths that they showed in fits and starts yesterday, they will find gaps in Scotland and win.

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:00pm
If we are being honest that was a gutless performance from the majority of the players and the management team! Andy Robertson the only Scotland player to come out of that game with any credit.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:01pm
Scotland really needed to get at least one goal back there. Hard to see where they go from here in the tournament other than yet another first round exit. England at Wembley on Friday, even a 1 goal defeat there leaves them with a mountain to climb. It's possible to get out of a group in a 24 team tournament with 3 points, but your goal difference has to be decent to do it and Scotland's is already in trouble after that loss. England will almost certainly pile on more agony for them.

11 major finals tournaments now for Scotland, looking like 11 first round exits. An incredible record.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Scotland really needed to get at least one goal back there. Hard to see where they go from here in the tournament other than yet another first round exit. England at Wembley on Friday, even a 1 goal defeat there leaves them with a mountain to climb. It's possible to get out of a group in a 24 team tournament with 3 points, but your goal difference has to be decent to do it and Scotland's is already in trouble after that loss. England will almost certainly pile on more agony for them.

11 major finals tournaments now for Scotland, looking like 11 first round exits. An incredible record.

That's mental! We're 4/6 in getting over the first hurdle, which puts things in perspective! 

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 14 Jun 2021 at 5:01pm
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 7:24pm
When you think of the players Scotland have produced down through the years, thats a terrible stat
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

That's mental! We're 4/6 in getting over the first hurdle, which puts things in perspective! 

And one of the ones we missed was after a win and a draw. We actually would have gone out of that tournament even if we'd beaten Russia and had 4 points.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

When you think of the players Scotland have produced down through the years, thats a terrible stat

Tbf the world cups they qualified for in the 70 & 80’s was a massive achievement as so few teams qualified. 

I think they beat Holland in 78 which was a massive win and just missed out on GD.

But yeah it odd they didn’t at least make one knock out round. 

notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:36am
Jeez think some are being very harsh on the Scots here, that was a real 50/50 game decided by the Czechs being clinical for that first goal (bad defending but also a perfect cross and header) and a worldie. That 2nd goal would knock the wind out of any team's sails but Scotland still had chances after, if they had nicked one back in that wee 10/15 minute spell I'd have fancied them to go on to get the equaliser.

Marshall's positioning was atrocious but you have to say he gets away with it 99 times out of 100. Not often you see a lob so perfectly executed, it was unbelievable.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 9:46am
Originally posted by notpropaganda73 notpropaganda73 wrote:

Jeez think some are being very harsh on the Scots here, that was a real 50/50 game decided by the Czechs being clinical for that first goal (bad defending but also a perfect cross and header) and a worldie. That 2nd goal would knock the wind out of any team's sails but Scotland still had chances after, if they had nicked one back in that wee 10/15 minute spell I'd have fancied them to go on to get the equaliser.

Marshall's positioning was atrocious but you have to say he gets away with it 99 times out of 100. Not often you see a lob so perfectly executed, it was unbelievable.

I would blame Hendry more than the keeper.  Absolute madness taken on that shot when so many had pushed up. 
AKA pedantic kunt
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

And one of the ones we missed was after a win and a draw. We actually would have gone out of that tournament even if we'd beaten Russia and had 4 points.
Don't mean to be pedantic but it was the Soviet Union. They had a far bigger pool of players to draw on compared to the pool Russia has to draw from today. At euro 88 their squad only had 4 Russians in it. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 15 Jun 2021 at 10:10am
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
  Share Topic