You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2020 - "A EURO for Europe" Confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 75>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:12pm
I got that train for the Uefa cup final in 2003.

It’s like a lightening bolt.
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:22pm
Where do we play if we get out of the group?  Better not be Dublin again.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:24pm
Dublin or Bilbao
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

At the minute it's five hours from Madrid. However, with a few more sections of the high speed line to Madrid to be finished before then, it may well be three and a bit hours from Madrid by then, with train tickets less than €20 each way.

There'll be options, anyway.

Bus is cheap as chips too
Danger here, OH NO
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Depends, massively.

In Euro 2016 there were four options: Paris, Bordeaux, Lille and Lyon.

There will be four here as well: one for the group winner, one for the runner up, and two potential locations for the third placed team.

There's no guarantee Dublin and Bilbao will be the venues for the group winner and runner up, though.

We could literally find ourselves having to figure out a way to Baku in the space of three days. Best of luck with that, especially with the need for a visa. Same for St Petersburg.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 07 Dec 2017 at 8:43pm
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:15pm
possibly we won't even qualify for the finals and 4 other teams will be in Dublin/Bilboa

still a while before we find out our Euro Qul opponents but we will knw our Nations league group next month or so
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:48pm

Depends, massively.

There will be four here as well: one for the group winner, one for the runner up, and two potential locations for the third placed team.

There's no guarantee Dublin and Bilbao will be the venues for the group winner and runner up, though.

We could literally find ourselves having to figure out a way to Baku in the space of three days. Best of luck with that, especially with the need for a visa. Same for St Petersburg.

I'd imagine Visa would be waived
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:02am
So are we thinking, if we qualify, we'll have 2 games in Dublin, 1 in Bilbao, with one of those games V Spain
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:12am

UEFA said it is yet to decide the routes following the group stage.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
Will be strange seeing Spain play in Bilbao. I doubt they played there many times, maybe they played there when Franco was alive. I doubt that many locals would have much interest in supporting Spain.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

So are we thinking, if we qualify, we'll have 2 games in Dublin, 1 in Bilbao, with one of those games V Spain
Correct assuming Spain qualify.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Depends, massively.

I'd imagine Visa would be waived
That's what I was thinking - surely that's a condition that UEFA would have insisted on for allocating them (both St Petersburg and Baku) games at the tournament. Possibly a Fan ID-type set-up instead like the 2018 World Cup.
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 2:16pm

We could literally find ourselves having to figure out a way to Baku in the space of three days. Best of luck with that, especially with the need for a visa.
You can get your Visa for Azerbaijan online now - five minutes to apply, confirmed next day, pretty easy.

(Well if you're a Brit, at any rate. Wink )

Afterthought: There are no non-stop flights between Rome and Baku, and they're not the closest geographically, either. Whereas St.Petersburg and Budapest are much closer to Baku, with both offering cheap and frequent non-stop flights. Silly pairing (imo).

Edited by Territorial - 08 Dec 2017 at 2:33pm
SeanCruz View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SeanCruz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2017 at 10:08pm
This needs to come around pronto. Having bad withdrawal. Been watching Euro 2016 videos all night Cry
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

We could literally find ourselves having to figure out a way to Baku in the space of three days. Best of luck with that, especially with the need for a visa.
You can get your Visa for Azerbaijan online now - five minutes to apply, confirmed next day, pretty easy.

Afterthought: There are no non-stop flights between Rome and Baku, and they're not the closest geographically, either. Whereas St.Petersburg and Budapest are much closer to Baku, with both offering cheap and frequent non-stop flights. Silly pairing (imo).

The 5 minute online visa applies to Irish passport holders too for Azerbaijan.

St. Petersburg is a lot closer to Baku than Rome as you say.  Although over 3,000 KMs as opposed to 4,500KMs doesn't make a huge difference in my book.  

The pairings were done with a view to some sort of fairness as they also fix the draw if both teams qualify.  I'm a bit surprised by Rome/Baku as well though.  I got the sense that Azerbaijan was much more pro Russian than the likes of Georgia or Armenia.  So I doubt there were political concerns re pairing them.

The logistics of following a team that progresses are also pretty horrendous.  
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 11:50am
Originally posted by gspain gspain wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

The 5 minute online visa applies to Irish passport holders too for Azerbaijan.

St. Petersburg is a lot closer to Baku than Rome as you say.  Although over 3,000 KMs as opposed to 4,500KMs doesn't make a huge difference in my book.  

The pairings were done with a view to some sort of fairness as they also fix the draw if both teams qualify.  I'm a bit surprised by Rome/Baku as well though.  I got the sense that Azerbaijan was much more pro Russian than the likes of Georgia or Armenia.  So I doubt there were political concerns re pairing them.

The logistics of following a team that progresses are also pretty horrendous.  
That's about 1500 KMs in an atlas book.
Icy Bread People View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icy Bread People Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 4:06pm
You'd think it's unlikely we would qualify given how awful we were in this campaign. Got lucky with one attempt on goal and Joe Allen being taken out in Cardiff. I can't see any improvements with no talent coming through and MON in charge. Hot potato football is not going to cut it. 
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2017 at 6:52pm
I think it'll be the perfect ending to the Martin O Neill era, when Euro 2020 is in Dublin and we're not taking part.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6970717273 75>
  Share Topic