You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2020 - "A EURO for Europe" Confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 75>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:30pm
The source say we're bidding is from a German paper, wouldnt read too much into it

But if we did bid three ways it would still mean 1/8 teams gets a spot so don't rule it out.
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:48pm
Can't see a three country bid getting anywhere.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:53pm
Braga's stadium in Portugal

Its common knowledge that UEFA don't allow terracing in stadiums anymore , given that all of our GAA stadiums have terracing and the majority of the big counties have stadium capacity's of 30,000+ . One solution is to simply upgrade all the seats in the two main stands of a GAA stadium provided its big enough to reach the minimum capacity required to meet Uefa standards and regulations. Braga's stadium is the perfect example , we wouldn't be using the terracing thats always on either side of a stand in a GAA stadium.

Croke Park and Landsdowne are ready as they are. Thomond Park would need to increase its capacity by 10,000. 

5 stadiums (w/o Croker) have capacity's of 40,000 + already , we could host a European Championships imo , it'd be alot of work and money but i'm sure it could be done.

Edited by Green Devil - 22 Mar 2012 at 12:54pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:00pm
Would be great craic if they redevolped Brefini Park, Cavan was used a host town and England drew Germany and were playing there.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Del-Piero Del-Piero wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

McHale park?not a hope.it should be bulldozed.it must be the windiest Gah ground in ireland.everyyime ive gone there its been hailstones,pissing rain.even if its sunny its still windy.that place would freeze a polar bear

That honour must surely go to Pearse Stadium! LOL

i was only in pearse stadium once in 09 when mayo won it in the last minute from gardiner Star and it was a nice day.there was a fantastic atmosphere but it seemed like a sheltered enough spot but this was in july to be fair.its a nicer stadium,more compact stadium than mchale park i found. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Liatroim Red View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane
Longford Red

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liatroim Red Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:07pm

McHale park?not a hope.it should be bulldozed.it must be the windiest Gah ground in ireland.everyyime ive gone there its been hailstones,pissing rain.even if its sunny its still windy.that place would freeze a polar bear

Was thinking the same myself.

Did a reckie whilst over in the west last weekend and apart from the floodlights it and the surrounding area are as dilapidated as when I was last there over 10 years ago. Apparently, it's a 42k all seater these days. Perhaps so with someone sat on your shoulders!

Not enough money swilling around in the coffers for Ireland to get this on their own I'm afraid. Be great if a Celtic bid was successful, but I have to say I love travelling for the big tournaments to foreign pastures so wouldn't be that gutted if it wasn't.
"I only ever hit Roy Keane the once. He got up so I couldn't have hit him very hard." - Brian Clough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Liatrom Red Liatrom Red wrote:

Was thinking the same myself.

Did a reckie whilst over in the west last weekend and apart from the floodlights it and the surrounding area are as dilapidated as when I was last there over 10 years ago. Apparently, it's a 42k all seater these days. Perhaps so with someone sat on your shoulders!

Not enough money swilling around in the coffers for Ireland to get this on their own I'm afraid. Be great if a Celtic bid was successful, but I have to say I love travelling for the big tournaments to foreign pastures so wouldn't be that gutted if it wasn't.

what i do know was years ago it used to hold 35k for connaught finals many moons ago but they wouldnt allow those number again id imagine.it would be great for thecountry if we got it but i prefer going abroad myself
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:17pm
Azerbaijan/Georgia double bid. That would be an interesting trip!
ballymacB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ballymacB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:19pm
Gaa stadiums need to be updated anyway because of health and safety no reason the gaa fai irfu and government can't all work together and aim to host the rugby world cup and one of the euro between 2020-2028
damo21 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
What powers have MODS got?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote damo21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:33pm
Can't see it been given to our bid , were are to broke , the Government has no money for this ,
it's only 8 eight years way , I would be very surpised if UEFA would even consider a bid from us,Wales and Scotland.
he who lies down with the dog will come up with fleas
c90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:43pm
Bit of a stupid question but if we did host a tournament (croker and lansdowne). would we still play in Lansdowne, with 25k less fans able to go ?
Id choose lansdowne as long as id get a ticket
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves
Barna Bee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barna Bee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:49pm
what would the Troika say? ....Non!, Nein!, No !, Para!

Forget it lads ...even a bid would be veto'ed

"in di cup for Tottinghang!"
JimmyG View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JimmyG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 1:54pm
Have yez no faith in our Government lads.  Those tricycle lads will be long gone.  Like a rocket the man said
"MINISTER FOR Finance Michael Noonan has given an upbeat assessment of the Irish economy, saying it could grow by more than 6 per cent in nominal terms next year and “take off like a rocket” if the world economy picks up".
Football is all very well a good game for rough girls, but
not for delicate boys.
greengiant View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greengiant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Would be great craic if they redevolped Brefini Park, Cavan was used a host town and England drew Germany and were playing there.
LOL Why Breffni??...redevelop it??....must be a while since u were about it...its one of the finest grounds in Ireland...should get the final IMO LOL
The first two-syllable word I ever learned growing up was discretion." Dunphy on a his childhood
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:20pm
It's not just about stadiums, the transport infrastructure is a shambles, are there enough hotel rooms? Not sure the Welsh or Scots have the facilities either, it would be very expensive all round.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

McHale Park: Over 40k 

German Holland quarter-final in mayo Cool
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:35pm
sure it would be class for travelling reasons if it went to Germany or Netherlands. Then of course if it goes to Georgia/Azjerwhatever then there should be more tickets available.

Ideally they should be all held in one country though.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 2:52pm
i cant see holland or germany getting it , the germans had the world cup recently.

if ireland got a tight bid together with scotland then it could be a runner.
Croker
Aviva
Thomond
then redevelop one from semple , thurles , etc.etc.

Hampden
Celtic park
Ibrox
Murrayfield
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 75>
  Share Topic