You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

EURO 2020 - "A EURO for Europe" Confirmed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 75>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EURO 2020 - "A EURO for Europe" Confirmed
    Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:23am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_bids

I see we have listed an interest in a joint bid with Wales and Scotland. The stadium requirement to host the tournament is as follows

• 2 stadiums with 50,000 seats
  • 3 stadiums with 40,000 seats
  • 4 stadiums with 30,000 seats

If we used the GAA stadiums, is there any chance of getting close to that to go it alone? Or even have half the stadia so we can opt for a joint bid instead. Highly unlikey that a three way bid would be accepted in my opinion.

I see Germany have expressed an interest to host it though!

Edited by t_rAndy - 22 Mar 2012 at 11:24am
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:27am
GAA stadia are not all seater.
We could use Croke Park if something was done with the Hill temporarily and obviously lansdowne but that would be it.
Can't see an Ireland, Wales, Scotland bid getting close to winning it.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:30am
Think we could defo provide 5 stadia that meet the requirments if we got the GAA and IRFU backing:

Croker: 70k
Landsdowne: 50k
Thormand: upgraded to 35k
Semple: Bit of a revamp needed but around 40k
McHale Park: Over 40k

Nicely spread out around the country as well.

I know UEFA would rather the tournaments take part in soccer stadiums that leave a legacy, but if Qatar got 2022 and most of the stadia will be pulled down after then maybe we would have a chance!

Depends on whether we go for the 2022 rugby world cup though I guess

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:30am
Can you use 2 stadia in the same city,as in Croke Pk and Lansdowne? Would be too close id say
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:32am
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Can you use 2 stadia in the same city,as in Croke Pk and Lansdowne? Would be too close id say

Think you can in one city or something. Like England's 2018/22 bid had 3 stadia in London I think.

One is North side, the other is south side. I think it would be ok
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:34am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Think you can in one city or something. Like England's 2018/22 bid had 3 stadia in London I think.

One is North side, the other is south side. I think it would be ok
True but there must be only about 3 miles between them?London is a different kettle of fish
Whelo79 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Whelo79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:38am
If the Dutch go for it they will get it, no doubts.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:38am
Realistically, we won't have the stadia.
Who is going to pay to make the GAA grounds and Thomond all seater ?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by Whelo79 Whelo79 wrote:

If the Dutch go for it they will get it, no doubts.
Didnt they do one with Belgium recently?
c90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote c90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:40am
you imagine there'd be no chance but if you compare ire/scot/wales to poland/Ukraine to logistics of getting around are much easier. travel from glasgow to cardiff and back again is shorter/easier/quicker than what england have to do going from donetsk to kiev to donetsk.
This post is less 'ire/scot/wales to bid for the euros' and more 'hate to be england'LOL

Edited by ciaran90 - 22 Mar 2012 at 11:41am
Maggie Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Lawrence Of Arabia, Elton John! Yiz can all go f**k yerselves
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Realistically, we won't have the stadia.
Who is going to pay to make the GAA grounds and Thomond all seater ?

would need government backing, which is the same as the Rugby World cup bid if we go for it.

Realistically you are correct, but wouldn't totally rule it out either. Although the competition is strong. UEFA have said they favour single country bids, which is why the 3 country bid wouldn't come close in my opinion
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:44am
McHale park?not a hope.it should be bulldozed.it must be the windiest Gah ground in ireland.everyyime ive gone there its been hailstones,pissing rain.even if its sunny its still windy.that place would freeze a polar bear
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Mr Marbles View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr Marbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:45am
Czech republic Slovakia would be class 

Both great countries to visit 
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 11:52am
Im sure UEFA give grants to the associations holding the tournament for upgrading existing stadiums but would they give a grant to the GAA to do up there stadiums ? No hope of that. 

The only other option would be would the government be willing to speculate to accumulate and aid the cost of revamping the stadiums , taking in mind they don't have a pot to piss in . No hope in that either im afraid ..

l hear you are a racist now, father ?
kieranmc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kieranmc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:02pm
f**k the GAA. Lansdowne, Thomond, RDS, new 30k seat Musgrave Park. Then Hampden, Parkhead, Ibrox, Murrayfield and one more in Scotland.

Actually that's a terrible idea for a lot of reasons, but honestly, f**k the GAA.
Del-Piero View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Del-Piero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

McHale park?not a hope.it should be bulldozed.it must be the windiest Gah ground in ireland.everyyime ive gone there its been hailstones,pissing rain.even if its sunny its still windy.that place would freeze a polar bear

That honour must surely go to Pearse Stadium! LOL
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:21pm
I'd love for it to be here, but just can't see it happening. Lansdowne Road and Croker would be fine, just don't know where we'd fins another two stadiums. Maybe Thomand Park, would need a stadium built in Cork. Don't even know if the GAA would allow Croker to be used as it would be in the middle of the Championship

If we had a combined bid with Scotland, they have three stadiums in Glasgow. That would mean that two cities have five stadiums between them. Can't see UEFA going for that. I think Germany or Netherlands will get it.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
moose View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2012 at 12:27pm
Aviva, Thomond Park (upgrade), upgrade one of the stadiums around the country, it would be worth the govt while many times over if we win the bid. Cardiff, Swansea (upgrade), Parkhead, Ibrox, Hampden, Pittodrie (upgrade)

Logistics would be perfect for travelling fans around the 3 countries. Hotels are 10 a penny in Ireland so there will be plenty of accomodation. I dont know about Scotland and Wales. Training facilities may be a problem, maybe not I dont know. Its not impossible and I think we would be in with a great shout because of UEFAs worries over Poland and Ukraines preperations. Ireland, Scotland and Wales would be a lot more sure fire than most of the bidders except for Germany and Holland. Holland and Belgium held it in 1998 so I dont think Holland will go for it again. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 75>
  Share Topic