1 [6.67%]
11 [73.33%]
1 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 10:29pm
Jenas made a good observation early on that Southgate is managing each game individually, and as a result responds to the needs of each one. Today, the lineup was more attacking, and it looked like he set them up to punch Ukraine out, which they did in the first 45. The early goal also changed everything as Ukraine were clearly establishing a withdrawn gameplan, only for that to be ripped up after three minutes. England just applied pressure in waves, but allowed Ukraine to do as much running as they could. They created nothing and once Maguire scored that was it, and the morale drained away.

The one difficulty for England is how reflective that game is of how good they are. Facts are facts, the quirks of the expanded competition open doors for poor teams to make strides that would be impossible at a World Cup. In this case, Ukraine beat the Nations League D qualifier, and finished the group on a single negative goal difference. Teams like Hungary and Finland really achieved something more impressive in the group stage. The win against Sweden was over 120 minutes, and they were exhausted, and lacked any tangible quality (they also were relegated into NL B at the end of last year). They just looked a bit out of place in the quarter finals, and it showed today. As such, it leave the question whether England were simply magnificent, or did they flat track bully Ukraine. If its the latter, they are eminently beatable by either the Danes or the Italians. If that was just a showcase of their talents, well, it was almost certainly 'Come Home'.
Sponsored Links

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

literally think even Eire under Kenny would qualify for the finals with the same path as England 

Ireland aren't even in the same stratosphere as England 
Billy no mates on the Irish forum😂😂
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:15pm

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

literally think even Eire under Kenny would qualify for the finals with the same path as England 

Ireland aren't even in the same stratosphere as England 
LOLLOLLOL

Imagine Ireland got to a Euro semi final and an Irish person starting gloating on Moldova’s premier football fans forum. Get a life you absolute loser.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:18pm
No goal conceded, is that a record in reaching a semi final of the Euros? Can't fault them this far but you can't really say how good they are. 

Denmark have really impressed me. Should be an excellent semi final 

It would damage this forums' reputation
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

No goal conceded, is that a record in reaching a semi final of the Euros? Can't fault them this far but you can't really say how good they are. 

Denmark have really impressed me. Should be an excellent semi final 

Italy got to the Semi in Italia 90 without conceding. Can’t think of any in the Euros.

As You Were
Three in a row
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:25pm
It would have to be a record as there is a last 16 now. Sure the first two tournaments had 3 teams and 4 (someone pulled out so a team got to the final with a toss of a coin or something odd like that) then 4 teams the next time, then 8 for a good while. 
It would damage this forums' reputation
Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:33pm
I'm not boasting.  I've never made any gloating posts on here. I'm just replying to the guy who tried downplaying England's achievement.  No offence 
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 11:39pm

I'm not boasting.  I've never made any gloating posts on here. I'm just replying to the guy who tried downplaying England's achievement.  No offence 

In fairness, you're not wrong.

To be honest, watching the Euros to the extent I have been has made me all the more pessimistic for our chances of any sort of short term recovery. Several teams have achieved more competitive wins in the past three weeks than we have in the last two years, and that encompasses something like 14 matches, and if you backdate it to after the Wales game in 2017 you're talking three competitive wins in four years (two against Gibraltar).
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:09am

Absolute bollox. When you joined this forum you were an Ireland fan. You’re on the wind up. Why would a genuine England fan post on YBIG? We’re irrelevant to England. We’re not a rival of England. I can understand Nordies as there’s a genuinely rivalry. There’s been Scottish and Welsh fans posting on here but they joined when we played them. You’re a WUM 100%.

As You Were
Three in a row
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:23am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Absolute bollox. When you joined this forum you were an Ireland fan. You’re on the wind up. Why would a genuine England fan post on YBIG? We’re irrelevant to England. We’re not a rival of England. I can understand Nordies as there’s a genuinely rivalry. There’s been Scottish and Welsh fans posting on here but t
hey joined when we played them. You’re a WUM 100%.
Eh? I've never said I was an Ireland fan. Look at my username.  Look back at all my posts. I'm just sick to the back teeth of home nations fans trying to deride our achievements.  
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fairness, you're not wrong.

To be honest, watching the Euros to the extent I have been has made me all the more pessimistic for our chances of any sort of short term recovery. Several teams have achieved more competitive wins in the past three weeks than we have in the last two years, and that encompasses something like 14 matches, and if you backdate it to after the Wales game in 2017 you're talking three competitive wins in four years (two against Gibraltar).
Thumbs Up
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 12:30am

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Absolute bollox. When you joined this forum you were an Ireland fan. You’re on the wind up. Why would a genuine England fan post on YBIG? We’re irrelevant to England. We’re not a rival of England. I can understand Nordies as there’s a genuinely rivalry. There’s been Scottish and Welsh fans posting on here but t
hey joined when we played them. You’re a WUM 100%.
Eh? I've never said I was an Ireland fan. Look at my username.  Look back at all my posts. I'm just sick to the back teeth of home nations fans trying to deride our achievements.  
What exactly do you mean by “home nations”?

As You Were
Three in a row
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 1:33am
Home nations = the countries in the British Isles mate 
Sharpshooter View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sharpshooter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 2:16am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Home nations = the countries in the British Isles mate 

The home nations championship though involved England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, not the ROI.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 2:56am
Their squads incredible 
They’ll easily dispose of Denmark and its up to Italy now to stop them 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 3:36am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

How is Luke Shaw in this team. Chilwell a much better player. He passes the ball back almost every time. No pace. Strolls around. Watch him. Hes a fraud Bill.

Was he not the best in the league last year?

I dont care what he was. Watch him. Passes the ball back all the time. I think he looks very average. Im beginning to think Jose was right about him.
LOL
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 7:36am

Their squads incredible 

To me, what is incredible is what sits below it. You have both the established players not in the squad, then you have another raft of shovel ready potentials, and then you have further potential bubbling below that (Willock, Nketiah, Greenwood. Gallagher, Sessengon). You could also go for a team of 'middle of the roaders' who would undoubtedly qualify England (although they wouldn't progress as far). Heck, there is probably even a total Championship team that could hold its own. The riches are very rich at the moment, and they are being managed very sensibly and on a game-by-game basis. I just noticed that as a result of injury and selection, something like 5 players involved in the 2019 Champions League Final are not in the England squad.

We're also seeing more and more young English talent spread their wings across the continent, which I think has major positives in terms of speeding up development, and enhancing their confidence.

In short, if you're an England fan, there is a lot of reasons to be very position.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 8:20am

Their squads incredible 

It’s the strongest England squad since the 90’s.
Just look at the bench last night. 

They have spend loads on their youth system and it took awhile but it’s really looking promising now. If you look at their 2016 Euro squad they have come along way in a short period of time. 

I expect to beat Denmark at home.
Italy is our only hope now. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic