You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2016 group games predictions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gigibongi33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:41am
1-1 Sweden
0-2 Belguim (loss)
1-0 Italy (win)
Sponsored Links

reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:26pm
After the disaster that was Poland 4 years ago 1 point will be an improvement. I think we will get a win and a draw or 2 draws. At least we should get something to cheer about which didn;t happen in Poland so that's a bonus.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
xRedmanLFCx View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

We would be. Don't beat Sweden and we don't qualify, it is that simple.

No. Even if we lose to Sweden we can still qualify. Even if we lose to Both Belgium and Sweden we can still qualify by beating Italy. There will be something at stake in every game. 

My predictions:

Ireland 1-0 Sweden 
Italy 1-1 Belgium (a cagey opening game, leaving us sitting top of the group!)

Ireland 0-2 Belgium
Italy 2-1 Sweden

Ireland 0-0 Italy (a 0-0 draw would put both teams through if earlier results go as expected) 
Belgium 2-1 Sweden

Belgium 7 pts
Italy 7pts
Ireland 4pts
Sweden 0 pts

I think 3 pts and we are probably into the last 16, even 2 pts could do it depending.
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:37pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

1-1 v Sweden
1-1 v Belgium
0-0 v Italy

I think these are an extremely likely set of results. 2 pts could get us out of the group, if Italy beat Sweden in the 2nd game - I expect they will after a tough opening game v Belgium. Italy and Ireland will go into the last game knowing a draw puts both teams through (barring Sweden beating Belgium in the last game, but Belgium would need to match Italy's result to secure top spot). 
"We will be galvanised and motivated, and we will bring thousands to this tournament." - MON
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote xRedmanLFCx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

If we got two points. 

What is the likely hood of that been enough to get us through? There are good lads with the maths head for these permutations 

What getting 2 points means is, with 4 of the 6 third place teams qualifying, you need to hope 2 of the the other 3rd place teams will only have 1 pt. This is quite likely in a group such as group A where Romania and Albania may lose both of their matches to Switz and France and then draw with each other - leaving them in 3rd and 4th on 1 pt each. That needs to happen in two groups and then all other 3rd place teams with 2 pts or more will qualify. I think it is quite likely tbh. 

Alternatively, we finish 3rd on 2 pts and 2 other groups also have their 3rd place on 2 pts - the best GD will progress. If we, say lost to Belgium by 1 and drew the other two matches, that could send us through. 

Of course, you may also get 3pts and end up bottom of your group, and see other teams in other groups in 3rd place but on only 2 points progress.

Smile
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:01pm
If we lose to Sweden you will get very good odds on us qualifying. The Sweden game is make or break; beat them and you have confidence and belief on and off the pitch, loseand you have lost to the team viewed as third best of the others in the group, huge pressure going into a game with the team viewed as the best in the group, a lack of confidence and a lack of belief etc. A draw won't do much good either really.

Based on other tournaments with a similar system, 2 points is extremely unlikely to be enough. Three points would likely be enough, four guaranteed. For the scenario of two points being enough, you are really looking at miracle territory.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I have a feeling Italy will flop at this tournament. They might not get out of the group.
Strangely enough Itlay have flopped alot at the Euros when you compare their record at WC's.

Well they got knocked out at the group stages in the last two World Cups. in the last two Euros they lost in a QF to Spain on penalties and got beaten in the final by Spain also. Recent history suggests they do better in the Euros.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:05pm
I think Belgium aren't as good as some people reckon and Sweden aren't as bad as others reckon.

I think it's a bit simplistic to present Sweden as a one man team. Zlatan had two very quiet nights when we met them in the last world cup qualifying campaign and they still took four points off us. I think they are very suspect at the back and I think who ever is in form going into this game will take the three points. A draw isn't the end of the world but a defeat is.

A draw against Belgium would be a great result irrespective of the result in the first game. I think we can carve out a draw here with a few very nervy moments.

I think most people are basing their prediction on the last game on Italy's historic performances at tournaments. Just because they generally leave it to the last game and just because they almost always go through doesn't mean it will be the case this time round. They're the second seed team and going on the coefficient points there is very little between them and Belgium. They were less than 10 minutes away from getting out of the group in the last campaign and they were knocked out. We played them just before that World Cup and performed relatively well. Again a draw is a realistic aspiration here.

Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I defo think Sweden are the worst team in the group, but they have Ibrahimovic...that said he's 35, which is a massive credit to him for been a striker and still at a really high level. 

So I think we might just get the win against them, no idea what happens after that, the momentum of a win and very likely qualification for the next round on that win could really galvinise us. 

If we lost against Sweden, I still wouldn't assume we are f**ked like we were in Poland.

We would be. Don't beat Sweden and we don't qualify, it is that simple.

"If we don't beat Poland at home and we won't qualify"

"If we don't beat Scotland at home we definitely won't qualify"

Heard all that before.. I myself won't be ruling anything out after the first match, win, lose or draw
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

I think Belgium aren't as good as some people reckon and Sweden aren't as bad as others reckon.

I think it's a bit simplistic to present Sweden as a one man team. Zlatan had two very quiet nights when we met them in the last world cup qualifying campaign and they still took four points off us. I think they are very suspect at the back and I think who ever is in form going into this game will take the three points. A draw isn't the end of the world but a defeat is.

A draw against Belgium would be a great result irrespective of the result in the first game. I think we can carve out a draw here with a few very nervy moments.

I think most people are basing their prediction on the last game on Italy's historic performances at tournaments. Just because they generally leave it to the last game and just because they almost always go through doesn't mean it will be the case this time round. They're the second seed team and going on the coefficient points there is very little between them and Belgium. They were less than 10 minutes away from getting out of the group in the last campaign and they were knocked out. We played them just before that World Cup and performed relatively well. Again a draw is a realistic aspiration here.

Zlatan dropped off behind the back four in Dublin and caused us all manner of problems. We were having a terrible campaign then but even so i still think we threw away that game and should have won it

Agree about Italy. Saying a team 'normally picks up for tournaments' is about as unreliable as saying a team is 'due a win'. Belgium are class on paper, but they have shown no indication under their current manager that they can replicate that on the field. Belgium and Italy are significantly better than us on paper of course, but there's no match in this group that I'd be thinking of as absolutely daunting like the Spain game in 2012, or even when the Italians were in much better shape then. I do think we should be beating Sweden, and hopefully get a point out of the last two games.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
aviva2015 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva2015 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 3:05pm
I genuinely feel a lot more confident about this than 4 years ago. 4 years ago i felt 3 defeats was inevitable (even in the face of extreme positivity from my travelling party). Croatia were a far superior side to Sweden. Spain 2008 - 2012 are contenders for the best team of all time and Italy were also much stronger and a better all round team than they are now. i'll go with:

Sweden 2-0 W
Belgium 0-2 L
Italy 0-1 L 

One advantage we have is all the other groups will be finished so we will know exactly what needs to be done in the final game. 

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 3:54pm
I've said before and I'll say again

Sweden aren't Croatia of 2012 a team if imo were in any other group would have got to at least quarters or semis, I can see us nicking the game 2-1

Belgium ain't Spain far from it don't get me wrong they are a great team on paper but they don't always click the Spanish during that era were making poetry on the field I think that they'll most likely beat us but could see us getting 1-1

The Italians aren't the Italy of 2012 they have lost one their main midfieldersMarchisio as is the conductor which is Pirlo I can see us beating them too but I'll go for a 2-2 draw

Giving us 5 points which would be enough for at 3rd in the group
ciarano82 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ciarano82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 4:02pm
sweden are sh*te lads ffs
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Zlatan dropped off behind the back four in Dublin and caused us all manner of problems. We were having a terrible campaign then but even so i still think we threw away that game and should have won it

Agree about Italy. Saying a team 'normally picks up for tournaments' is about as unreliable as saying a team is 'due a win'. Belgium are class on paper, but they have shown no indication under their current manager that they can replicate that on the field. Belgium and Italy are significantly better than us on paper of course, but there's no match in this group that I'd be thinking of as absolutely daunting like the Spain game in 2012, or even when the Italians were in much better shape then. I do think we should be beating Sweden, and hopefully get a point out of the last two games.
From memory he had a below par performance in both games. He was in unreal form at the time, particularly before the game in Stockholm. Strangely enough - Paul Greene had a great game that night. Don't think Zlatan featured in either of the goals in Dublin.

Either way still a danger but one that can be contained
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:56pm

From memory he had a below par performance in both games. He was in unreal form at the time, particularly before the game in Stockholm. Strangely enough - Paul Greene had a great game that night. Don't think Zlatan featured in either of the goals in Dublin.

Could be wrong but i thought it was his ball that played in Svensson?
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:12pm
Sweden seem to be written off when in all honesty they're as good as us plus they have a world class player who'll be asuch a threat playing deep or up front not to mention if we concede a free in a dangerous area, we could be in serious trouble.

I seen their play-off game away to Denmark and they played well. Thought they were a much quicker and better passing team than us.

It never ceases to amaze me the blind optimism Irish supporters have no matter how difficult a group may be.

We've gotten awful group draws for Euro 2012 and this year imo.

It'll be a tough slog to try and get out of this group
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:15pm

Watch the game again. Zlatan was very good in that game in the deeper position and he set up Svensson as far as I remember for one of the goals.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
(._.) View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote (._.) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 6:30pm
Beat the Swedes
Lose to Belgium.
Draw with Italy.
                  Randolph
Coleman       Clark.      Keogh/Duffy.     Brady

McCarthy

Arter.           Hendrick

Walters.                                   McClean

Long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic