Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

English FA Cup 2017/18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 10:15pm
Another of yesterday's managers. Tick tock Jose, always adds to by day to see him beaten. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Sponsored Links

Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2018 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The f**king about with the offside rule has been worse. I can see both sides of the debate on this one.
there has been loads of bad changes to the rules in the past few years. Agree that the offside is now very messy. This rule with the yellow for a foul in the box is a free pass for defenders to foul in the box imo. They know they'll hardly ever see a red, so it's a massively regressive rule.

A free pass for defenders to foul in the box!? As in a free pass to give away a penalty (i.e. not a free pass)? Outside of the clear absence of logic, in the two years since the rule was brought in, there has been absolutely no evidence of this happening
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 2:22am
Originally posted by Reildogg Reildogg wrote:

The f**king about with the offside rule has been worse. I can see both sides of the debate on this one.
there has been loads of bad changes to the rules in the past few years. Agree that the offside is now very messy. This rule with the yellow for a foul in the box is a free pass for defenders to foul in the box imo. They know they'll hardly ever see a red, so it's a massively regressive rule.

A free pass for defenders to foul in the box!? As in a free pass to give away a penalty (i.e. not a free pass)? Outside of the clear absence of logic, in the two years since the rule was brought in, there has been absolutely no evidence of this happening
Absolutely no evidence of what exactly? The fact that players aren't sent off when they should be? Or the fact that the forwards advantage is now totally gone. Before a defender would think twice before lunging in for a ball they know 99 percent of the time they won't, or cannot get. Now defenders do not hesitate, the rule ensures the red card will hardly ever come your way. I've been banging this drum since the minute the rule change came in and I still can't believe how many think this change was a positive step for the game. It was a massively regressive rule change, and has allowed referees to cop out of decision after decision when fouls occur in the box. In terms of defenders, you would now be an absolute idiot not to attempt to win the ball in a situation like today, even though you are almost certain you cannot do so. It's a free pass as the chances of the forward scoring are massively high. Since a 1 percent shot of winning the ball is now considered a genuine attempt to play the ball by the ref, you as the defender now get a yellow and your keeper gets the chance to save the penalty. Do you actually think this rule change was a positive step for football?
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:04am
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Another of yesterday's managers. Tick tock Jose, always adds to by day to see him beaten. 

Typical of him with his post match comments saying Chelse were predictable ( are Man U not) and Man U should have won it.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:38am

Absolutely no evidence of what exactly? The fact that players aren't sent off when they should be? Or the fact that the forwards advantage is now totally gone. Before a defender would think twice before lunging in for a ball they know 99 percent of the time they won't, or cannot get. Now defenders do not hesitate, the rule ensures the red card will hardly ever come your way. I've been banging this drum since the minute the rule change came in and I still can't believe how many think this change was a positive step for the game. It was a massively regressive rule change, and has allowed referees to cop out of decision after decision when fouls occur in the box. In terms of defenders, you would now be an absolute idiot not to attempt to win the ball in a situation like today, even though you are almost certain you cannot do so. It's a free pass as the chances of the forward scoring are massively high. Since a 1 percent shot of winning the ball is now considered a genuine attempt to play the ball by the ref, you as the defender now get a yellow and your keeper gets the chance to save the penalty. Do you actually think this rule change was a positive step for football?

How could you possibly say that "giving the keeper the chance to save the penalty" classes as a free pass?! The percentage of penalties that are actually saved is quite low. I'm not sure how anyone in their right mind could consider giving a penalty away as a "free pass" just because they won't get sent off
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:11am
Giving away a penalty is a free pass LOL Personally I think the rule tweak is correct, I think it’s far better to watch the defending player attempt the tackle than to run along side the attacking player too scared to do anything. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 10:27am
terrible game of football 
Uniteds lack of creativity proved their undoing again, Chelsea didn’t even have to be that good. 
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:41am
Does winning the cup change the stage they enter the Europa League?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:42am
I thought Hazard was excellent yesterday.
He really stepped up on the big stage. Looking forward to seeing him at the World Cup.

I don’t think any Man U player stepped up.
Pogba missed a free header from about 10 yards. 

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 11:43am
It is a free pass for the defender or keeper to now make a foul in the box. A foul that may look like a genuine attempt to play the ball, but just like Jones instance yesterday, he knows well he's going to foul. He believes Hazard will score so he makes the foul. Now he's only on a yellow and his keeper has a  chance to save the resulting penalty. The real deterrent in this situation is totally gone.The situation where a keeper comes out sliding now and takes out a striker in a one on one - good chance the striker nudges the ball around the keeper and would proceed to roll the ball into an empty net with a decent touch. Keeper will now take him out every single time. Why, because if there's a 1 percent chance of getting to the ball, he has a free pass at doing that. It will not result in a red card anymore, and he can then attempt to save the penalty. Btw I would say it's roughly about 1 in 4 pens on average that are saved. That's a decent amount. Simply put, before this woeful rule change there was a serious deterrent for defenders and keepers to act recklessly in their own box, now it has swung totally the other way. I'm amazed every time I hear how good a rule change this was.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:11pm

I think it's a decent rule. There's no guarantee that the attacker is going to score his chance so a peno is fair after the foul. The ref can still issue a red card if the offence warrants it but a yellow should be sufficient if there is a genuine attempt to win the ball 
El Puto Amo
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:12pm
So giving a player a 75% chance to score (going by your made up statistic, and excluding the chance that they will miss the target) is a free pass?
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I think it's a decent rule. There's no guarantee that the attacker is going to score his chance so a peno is fair after the foul. The ref can still issue a red card if the offence warrants it but a yellow should be sufficient if there is a genuine attempt to win the ball 

I think yesterday Jones should have trusted his keeper.
At that angle it would have been difficult for Hazard to score. At best it’s a 50% chance. Hazard was definitely waiting for the tackle.
Whereas the peno is around 80% chance to score.

I think the new rule is good. A red card and peno can ruin a game after 2 mins. Then the player gets a 3 match ban for miss timing one tackle. It’s too harsh in all cases.
Maybe the refs need to issue more reds when feel there was no intention to win the ball which is your point hans.

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 1:01pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

At that angle it would have been difficult for Hazard to score. At best it’s a 50% chance. Hazard was definitely waiting for the tackle.

I think the new rule is good. A red card and peno can ruin a game after 2 mins. Then the player gets a 3 match ban for miss timing one tackle. It’s too harsh in all cases.
Maybe the refs need to issue more reds when feel there was no intention to win the ball which is your point hans.
Well that is exactly my point, as I've said in an earlier post. The problem with the law is not the law itself, it's the fact that it's a cop out that was going to always be used by refs. If Jones tackle yesterday was given as a red card, and such tackles always were, I agree it's fine as a rule. If every keeper charging out knowing they aren't getting to the ball and taking down the attacker, ended up getting a red it would be a great ruling. That's not what has happened though, the refs have used it as a total cop out and all these red card offences are blanket yellow card offences across the board. There is only one high profile red I can remember in this situation in the past 2 years (Koscielny against Bayern), and even then the analysis and commentary iirc were saying it was a yellow under the newer rule change. It was a blatant red for Koscielny and the rule was applied properly. It is an awful rule, simply because of it's application. It's a cop out for refs and they use it every single time. More to the point though, defenders and keepers know they will cop out every single time by giving a yellow (the deterrent that was there before has been totally removed, you would now be an idiot of a gk or defender not to make a lunge or whatever desperate attempt to win the ball). My use of the term free pass is probably wrong, it is just in comparison to the previous laws it feels like that to me.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:26pm

Fans of both teams will definitely view the new rule differently. Great if you're defender doesnt get sent off but you'd always want the opposition defender sent off.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2018 at 9:39pm

Did you just randomly make that up or something ffs.

How many penalties are scored? Far more than 80% I'd imagine.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Did you just randomly make that up or something ffs.

How many penalties are scored? Far more than 80% I'd imagine.

According to these team stats from the Prem it ranges from as low as 63% in West Brom's case right up to 95% in Swansea's. If all Prem teams are combined the probability of a goal is 78% (1360 penos, 1065 scored), so the 80% figure is roughly accurate.

In terms of the rule change - I can certainly understand where Hans is coming from. In theory it is a progressive amendment, however in practice it is a 'get out of jail free' card for referees. They can always claim there was intent in a challenge in order to defend their call - even though most would admit Jones was hugely fortunate for the ref to deem it that on Saturday. On the other hand, as has been pointed out a number of games have been ruined by the double punishment of the old rule. I suppose it all depends on the circumstances of the challenge, and you would hope that blatant infringements do still result in a red, but it does look like we can expect to see a lot more yellows for cynical, goal denying tackles - as was the case on Saturday.
Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2018 at 11:24am

It is quite hard to say definitely, as of course it will remain up to the referee to decide it correctly or not. What I meant by the evidence was: I have not witnessed compelling evidence in the past two years that indicates the rule change has led to players and goalkeepers lunging at attackers in the box due to gaining a free pass. In that sense, I am not convinced by the supposed negative aspects of the rule change. A penalty is a very serious 'penalty' against a team - regardless of the colour of the card subsequently shown. 

For example, as a result of being penalised for an infringement in the box on Saturday, Chelsea scored the only goal of the game; and, won the FA cup. That's nowhere near a free pass. Ask Eden Hazard if he would prefer to take a penalty or have a go from a somewhat tight angle. Ask De Gea if he'd prefer to try and save a penalty or a one-on-one from a tight angle. Both answers would likely provide an insight into whether a free pass is now provided to those who foul opposing players in the box. 

I think giving the opposition a roughly 80% chance of a goal is a very strong disincentive to fouling opposition players in the box, while the rule still allows for a red card when it is abundantly clear there was no intention to play the ball. My personal opinion was that Phil Jones took a free slide in an effort to block a potential shot, so one could interpret that as no intention to play the ball or not. Nonetheless, United lost 1-0 due to the penalty given, so the punishment seems proportionate here.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
  Share Topic