Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England v Ireland - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: England v Ireland - Match Thread
    Posted: 14 May 2013 at 10:32am
Time to get the ball rolling on this...just over two weeks to go Clap

Jack Wilshere will miss the game as he's having an ankle op at the end of the season. With Gerrard out as well it'll be interesting to see who'll play in the England midfield...Cleverley and Lampard maybe?

Coleman versus Cole should be an interesting contest.

Come on you boys in green  Clap Clap Clap Clap

Below is the last England squad for the match played against Montenegro:

England
  • 01 Hart
  • 02 Johnson 
  • 03 Cole
  • 05 Lescott
  • 06 Smalling
  • 04 Gerrard
  • 07 Milner
  • 08 Carrick
  • 11 Cleverley (Young - 78' )
  • 09 Welbeck
  • 10 Rooney

Substitutes

• 13 Foster
  • 23 Forster
  • 12 Walker
  • 14 Baines
  • 15 Caulker
  • 16 Lampard
  • 17 Parker
  • 18 Osman
  • 19 Oxlade-Chamberlain
  • 20 Young
  • 21 Defoe
  • 22 Sturridge
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

PaulMcGrath5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMcGrath5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:25am
Wouldn't be too afraid of there midfield without Gerard and Wilshere. 

Think we can do well if trap plays our strongest team. McCarthy and Whelan could defo put it up to Carrick and Cleverley or Parker. 

Think our wingers can cause them problems too, hopefully our strikers are able to put away any chances that come their way, which is what I would be worried about. That England side has a real lack of width, but the likes of Adam Johnson/ Walcott or Aaron Lennon could cause us problems if they come in.

Our players will definately need to play a bit above themselves.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:28am
Doubt this match will go ahead with all the trouble that'll be found before it.

But it looks as if Hoolahan is going to start along with Pilington. Unfortunately would presume Sammon is in pole position for the lone striking trole with Keano unlikely to be released for this one.

If theres no injuries should be a strong starting 11 anyway
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

But it looks as if Hoolahan is going to start along with Pilington. Unfortunately would presume Sammon is in pole position for the lone striking trole with Keano unlikely to be released for this one.

Shocked Any links to this?
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:35am
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Shocked Any links to this?

on the irish times today seany.

The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 11:40am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:28pm

How is Samonn in pole position for the striker role?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

How is he not? Hes started nearly as many competitive games as Long has under Trap for 5 years in the space of 2 squads. He played 90 minutes twice in 3 games. Not sure how many Long has played 90 in 5 years?

Also he loves a big lump up front and Long wont be around for the Faroes match so Trap would probably see more sense in playing Sammon who will
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:35pm

How is he not? Hes started nearly as many competitive games as Long has under Trap for 5 years in the space of 2 squads. He played 90 minutes twice in 3 games. Not sure how many Long has played 90 in 5 years?

Also he loves a big lump up front and Long wont be around for the Faroes match so Trap would probably see more sense in playing Sammon who will

Would you ever change the record.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 12:51pm

Would you ever change the record.

So I cant have an opinion on what the time will be now

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:08pm
There's a difference between having an opinion and having a cheap pop at the manager at every opportunity.

There is no mention of formation, although Trap has said he will try a different formation.

Yet you go for the worst possible scenario as if it's gospel.

Considering Keane and Walters are clearly ahead of Samonn I would say they most likely will play, or maybe he might go for Walters up top and Hoolahan behind him.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:11pm

There's a difference between having an opinion and having a cheap pop at the manager at every opportunity.

There is no mention of formation, although Trap has said he will try a different formation.

Considering Keane and Walters are clearly ahead of Samonn I would say they most likely will play, or maybe he might go for Walters up top and Hoolahan behind him.

how do you reckon walters is ahead of sammon ? i dont
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:54pm
From da Indo:
New York Red Bulls 'keeper Ryan Meara was also given a mention and may be asked to join up with the squad in the Big Apple if David Forde, Keiren Westwood or Darren Randolph suffer a setback.

Pilkington is getting married so will only bethere for the England game which is a little annoying.  Being there for the 4 games could have cemented him into the starting 11.  Could they not move the honeymoon? 

Anthony Pilkington, who is getting married on May 31 and is likely to be restricted to involvement in the England match provided a slight knee problem clears up.

With a honeymoon scheduled, Trapattoni looks likely to have to prepare for the other three games without the attacking Norwich midfielder, although he remains bemused by personal events getting in the way of football, once again referencing the time that he lined out in a cup semi-final in the days after he got married.

"There is a problem with the wife," he said, with a smile, indicating that he would talk to Pilkington about the Faroes game, albeit with hope rather than expectation.

Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Because Walters had played most games and Sammon hasn't.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
PaulMcGrath5 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulMcGrath5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 2:05pm
Walters played wide right last couple of games and Sammon started them both up front, or am I getting mixed up?
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by RogerMilla RogerMilla wrote:

Because Walters had played most games and Sammon hasn't.

sammon has played most games since he was named starter. and walters was moved to the wing to accomodate him , this puts him ahead of walters.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 2:14pm
Long started the last 3+ games but let's ignore that.

I would say Walters played right in the absence of McGeady and Pilkington.

Sammon started against the Poland game and was then on the bench for the Sweden game and then started against Austria due to the absence of Keane.

I would expect him to start up front with either Keane or maybe Hoolahan.

Long might also play too, unless he gets excused from the squad due to his ongoing injury concerns.

Edited by horsebox - 14 May 2013 at 2:15pm
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2013 at 2:15pm

In the unlikely event he does change the formation and play Hoolahan off one striker, he will revert to the 4-4-2 hoofball tactics for the Faroe's game. The same thing happened last year in the Serbia friendly where we played 4-5-1 with the wingers supporting a lone striker - as it turned out the midfield were on the ball a lot more and passed it around better than usual. As soon as the qualifiers came around it was normal service resumed as far as the tactics go. 
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 40>
  Share Topic