Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England Supporters Thread - World Cup 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 2:52pm
Living in London I for one am happy they qualified. Will be great listening and watching the circus that surrounds the team in the months building up to the WC and how they are going to win the WC before a ball is kicked only for them to fall flat on their arses when and get knocked out early on in Brazil.
Sponsored Links

The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 3:15pm
In fairness there is a lot less buzz around tournaments when they aren't there, that being said it's always great to see them make their customary exits at the last 16/quarter final stage after losing a penalty shootout.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:34pm
Don't think anybody, even the English, are expecting England to win the world Cup and I certainly didn't hear anybody last summer saying they'd win the Euros.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 4:37pm
They have picked two very tough games against Chile and Germany for their next two friendlies.

They could get a group with both of those teams in it as well. A group I wouldn't expect them to qualify from.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Don't think anybody, even the English, are expecting England to win the world Cup and I certainly didn't hear anybody last summer saying they'd win the Euros.

+1

Met a few last year and in Vienna last month.Every one of them was down to earth and completely realistic about their team.As sound and friendly as any fans I ever met.The Irish tabloid media are nearly as bad as the British for expectations. Id imagine most down to earth english fans don't get lost in the hysteria surrounding their team.I think as usual they'll be shagged out after a long season and will underperform.People then will make out they're a worse team than they actually are if they have a poor showing in Brazil

I'd like to see the United players do well with them but apart from that I'm not too fussed how well they do.I'm indifferent.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Tippbiffo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tippbiffo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 6:34pm
Best of luck to them and their true fans
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:09pm
Expectations are low so it'll only be talksport who'll be bigging them up. The hype for the euros didn't get going until the week of the tournament.

The side is too poor to win it...best of luck to them though.

Edited by colemanY2K - 17 Oct 2013 at 9:09pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
tribalarmy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tribalarmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:19pm
Wouldn't say they definitely won't win it but they are around my 13th favourites with the likes of Russia and the Ivory Coast.

Brazil
Argentina
Spain
Italy
Germany
Netherlands
Colombia
Uruguay
Chile
Belgium
Portugal
France
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:20pm
I'd love to see Roy try and persuade Rio to come out of international retirement. 

Rio in Rio would have a wonderful ring to it.

If the headlines in June 1914 were about the Archduke Franz Ferdinand, the headlines in June 2014 could well be about another noble Ferdinand. 

Edited by sid waddell - 17 Oct 2013 at 9:21pm
Conor Messi View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Messi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:25pm
LOL In fairness to you sid, some of your sh*te talk is very well constructed sh*te talk!
@MessiConor
Hasta La Victoria Siempre
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by Tippbiffo Tippbiffo wrote:

Best of luck to them and their true fans
This.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:34pm
England have not lost a World Cup finals match in a year ending in 4 since the quarter-final defeat to Uruguay in 1954. 

60 years unbeaten, an incredible record. The weight of history is on our side. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:41pm
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

England have not lost a World Cup finals match in a year ending in 4 since the quarter-final defeat to Uruguay in 1954. 

Considering they didnt qualify in 74 and 94 you're talking sh*te
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:47pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Considering they didnt qualify in 74 and 94 you're talking sh*te
59 years (60 next summer) unbeaten in World Cup finals in years ending with 4. 

F

A

C

T

planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

+1

Met a few last year and in Vienna last month.Every one of them was down to earth and completely realistic about their team.As sound and friendly as any fans I ever met.The Irish tabloid media are nearly as bad as the British for expectations. Id imagine most down to earth english fans don't get lost in the hysteria surrounding their team.I'm indifferent.

I'm not.

They turned up at Lansdowne in 95, and smashed the place up. When they return in 12 months time, they'll have their no surrender chants back. If they haven't wrecked the North Stand by then.

My favourite phrase at every tournament is hearing "England are out of....." and sure enough we'll hear it again in Brazil.
The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 9:58pm

+1

Met a few last year and in Vienna last month.Every one of them was down to earth and completely realistic about their team.As sound and friendly as any fans I ever met.The Irish tabloid media are nearly as bad as the British for expectations. Id imagine most down to earth english fans don't get lost in the hysteria surrounding their team.I think as usual they'll be shagged out after a long season and will underperform.People then will make out they're a worse team than they actually are if they have a poor showing in Brazil

I'd like to see the United players do well with them but apart from that I'm not too fussed how well they do.I'm indifferent.

Always find this funny. Post up some examples there
And not Dunphy
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

+1

Met a few last year and in Vienna last month.Every one of them was down to earth and completely realistic about their team.As sound and friendly as any fans I ever met.The Irish tabloid media are nearly as bad as the British for expectations. Id imagine most down to earth english fans don't get lost in the hysteria surrounding their team.I'm indifferent.

I'm not.

They turned up at Lansdowne in 95, and smashed the place up. When they return in 12 months time, they'll have their no surrender chants back. If they haven't wrecked the North Stand by then.

My favourite phrase at every tournament is hearing "England are out of....." and sure enough we'll hear it again in Brazil.

Well it wouldn't be like you to let go of the past.
Most people on here wouldn't as insulting to genuine English fans by categorizing them with the scumbags that smashed up Lansdown.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2013 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by The GerK The GerK wrote:

+1

Always find this funny. Post up some examples there
And not Dunphy

To be fair I should've posted in a general media sense rather than focusing just on the tabloids but the Russia game away in 02.Because we done well at the world cup considering Saipan and Russia were poor we were cock sure driven by the media that we were gonna do well against a team with a fantastic qualifying record. The backlash from the Macedonia game 97 was another one.They may have been considered a minnow but if you look we've always had a so-so record against these types of eastern europe teams.
We've had raised expectations since the Charlton era and I do find the media plays it's role in hyping us up and forgetting we're a small country usually punching above our weight.

After this disastrous campaign they'll be a lot more low key
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
  Share Topic