You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

End of an Era at St Jame's Gate.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: End of an Era at St Jame's Gate.
    Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:09am
Sad to hear.

End of an era as St James’ Gate fold after 120 years in action St James' Gate have folded Aidan Fitzmaurice July 12 2022 03:16 PM IRISH football has lost a link to one of the founding members of...

Edited by Double Maxim - 13 Jul 2022 at 9:15pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Sponsored Links

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:30am
bad news alright, getting pushed out of the iveagh grounds was a big contributor , seemed to have real trouble attracting players too.
No Pasaran!
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:02am
Originally posted by oldbilly oldbilly wrote:

bad news alright, getting pushed out of the iveagh grounds was a big contributor , seemed to have real trouble attracting players too.

I'd be interested in what the deal to sell with Iveagh Grounds to Trinity was. I've played there against James Gales plenty of times and it's by far the nicest pitch I've ever played on. Only pitched used for both football and GAA that I know off too. Was told before that Sky paid for part of the floodlights in the early 90's with a view televising LOI games but have no idea if it's true.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 11:38am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

I'd be interested in what the deal to sell with Iveagh Grounds to Trinity was. I've played there against James Gales plenty of times and it's by far the nicest pitch I've ever played on. Only pitched used for both football and GAA that I know off too. Was told before that Sky paid for part of the floodlights in the early 90's with a view televising LOI games but have no idea if it's true.
Did you blow them away or did they breeze passed the Wanderers?

Edited by Sham157 - 13 Jul 2022 at 11:39am
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 11:45am

One of my many former clubs. Loved playing there on a Friday night. The club had a rapid fall from Sunday Senior down through the leagues. Given the facilities and location, they shouldn’t really have had a problem attracting people. I don’t want to criticise volunteers but it could have been run better. 
El Puto Amo
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:39pm

Sky contributed to a number of loi clubs floodlights back then to help them move away from Sunday football as it clashed with “super Sunday” - UEFA made them do it if I remember correctly 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

auto correct ya smart bollox
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:28pm
Title of thread should change as it doesn’t really tell you what this is about.  Unless we aim to include all end of era posts here such as when Paul McCartney dies or Fair city ends on RTE etc. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:30pm

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

auto correct ya smart bollox
Big smile
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Title of thread should change as it doesn’t really tell you what this is about.  Unless we aim to include all end of era posts here such as when Paul McCartney dies or Fair city ends on RTE etc. 

Probably best if you read the article then!
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Surely the point of thread titles is not to make them vague.  

I think we had one before which was when will it stop.  It was to do with sexual abuse of minors in football.  Just put a proper thread title and makes it simpler for all. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 8:29pm

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Surely the point of thread titles is not to make them vague.  

I think we had one before which was when will it stop.  It was to do with sexual abuse of minors in football.  Just put a proper thread title and makes it simpler for all. 

It's really straight forward you need to give your head a shake.

Perhaps you've been out in the sun too long today?
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 8:59pm
Tend to agree with Baldy on that one, but doesn't make much difference either way. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Tend to agree with Baldy on that one, but doesn't make much difference either way. 

Exactly he's just splitting hairs bizarrely.

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 10:21pm
What’s this thread about,some old timer retiring from Guinness’?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jul 2022 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

What’s this thread about,some old timer retiring from Guinness’?

LOL
AKA pedantic kunt
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2022 at 8:57am
LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Glen of Aherlow View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Glen of Aherlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2022 at 12:06pm
Seems St. James Gate are not finished yet
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic