You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Electric car

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Electric car
    Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 8:15pm
Anyone have any experience or thought about getting one?

Price of fuel getting so ridiculously unmanageable now it's hard not to consider 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Price of fuel getting so ridiculously unmanageable now it's hard not to consider 
Youve gone awful green lately!

Edited by BigStrongMan - 23 Feb 2022 at 8:49pm
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 8:54pm
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

Youve gone awful green lately!

Nothing green about the amount of materials that goes into them. 

Doesn't solve congestion either

My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
CatalanCelt1 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatalanCelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:04pm

Work in group of main franchise dealers. 
Unless you only do small predictive daily journeys around town etc they are a complete waste of time and money. 
Between their extortionate up-front cost, range issues, lack of proper infrastructure, you’d want to be very brave and have your homework well done and stress tested before making the leap. 
Would not advise for anyone. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by CatalanCelt1 CatalanCelt1 wrote:

Unless you only do small predictive daily journeys around town etc they are a complete waste of time and money. 
Between their extortionate up-front cost, range issues, lack of proper infrastructure, you’d want to be very brave and have your homework well done and stress tested before making the leap. 

Oof!

Have a friend who swears by them. Driving one for 5 years. I do around 500km a week so would make sense for me from that perspective. Your synopsis doesn't inspire confidence 😬
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:23pm
Where do someone in the country charge them up? No re sale value either. Pie in the sky stuff for years id say
I love beer gardens
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:30pm
Heard that alot of the electric car manufacturers are telling porkies about how many km per charge, less than 25% on some. Handy for popping here and there but wouldn't go near them if I was doing big mileage 
Chips don't bounce
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:36pm

Oof!

Have a friend who swears by them. Driving one for 5 years. I do around 500km a week so would make sense for me from that perspective. Your synopsis doesn't inspire confidence 😬

So 100 max in a day? If you are buying brand new they will all do that. Have  mate who has two drivers who have the e niro and they are on the road  every dat and he said they are brilliant and he has them about 18 months now.  

Edited by Baldrick - 23 Feb 2022 at 10:39pm
AKA pedantic kunt
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 9:51pm
I'd do 60km minimum and some days up to 150/200km.

CatalanCelt1 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CatalanCelt1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by drog addict drog addict wrote:

Heard that alot of the electric car manufacturers are telling porkies about how many km per charge, less than 25% on some. Handy for popping here and there but wouldn't go near them if I was doing big mileage 
Flexible with the truth is all. Them quoting up to X kms range is done at optimum conditions, etc. There is definitely a bedding in period where the car has to get use to your driving style and pattern. As mentioned before, thread carefully and err very much on the side of caution when running your figures. 
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:12pm
Currently in the process of switching a fleet of 100 cars with work over to EV's.

Mainly Volkswagon, iD4 are the business to drive. Costing us about 12k more for to buy that the equivilent Diesel Car (something like Passat). 

Easy enough to do the maths on the fuel, you're probably filling once a week Mark? Bout 75 a pop? So bout 3.5 - 4k for Diesel year? Electricity will be about 20 to do 500/week so bout 1k a year. Covers the cost in about 4 years at that rate, probably need to be doing more miles than that to break even.

On the resale, I've heard the opposite of what doherty said, the EV's should hold their value far better than petrol cars, a lot of the engine bits that usually wear and tear aren't there. We're probably too new in the cycle to see what it loos like really tho. Teslas certainly haven't dropped in value like the equivilent car 5 years later. I'd definitely consider a second hand one if they were cheaper.

From driving them myself, I would definitely get one if the cost price comes down a bit, I'm sure it will in time. For now, I don't do enough mileage.
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:20pm
"Easy enough to do the maths on the fuel, you're probably filling once a week Mark? Bout 75 a pop? So bout 3.5 - 4k for Diesel year? "

Yep exactly on the money. Probably 80 soon enough the way fuel is going 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Oof!

So 100kmax in a day? If you are buying brand new they will all do that. HBe a mate who two of his drivers have the e niro and they are on the roaf eveey dY and he said they are brilliant and have them about 18 months now.  

Could we get that in English?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2022 at 11:11pm
Will definitely be getting one in the next 5 years when the range increases and price drop a bit. I read an interesting article before Christmas where a fella took the ioniq on a drive between I think Adelaide and Sydney. Will dig it out and post here if I find it. 

Edited by colemanY2K - 23 Feb 2022 at 11:20pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 8:42am
Hybrid car seems a good idea on the face of it but a fella at work bought one and brought it back after couple of weeks. The main issue was on electric mode the range was only 60 to 80km. Then it switched to fuel, but because of the extra battery weight it was burning a lot more petrol. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2022 at 1:58pm
Better to wait a few years as the idea of not able to drive up to Dublin and back without a charge would drive me nuts . 
 in 10 years time all will be very different but not today . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2022 at 12:22pm
dacia about to shake up the market with a relatively low cost dacia spring ev that could be in showrooms later this year but more than likely in 2023. its been on the market as left hand drive for the past 2 or so years and costs 15 to 20k on the continent after govt incentives are taken into account. the combined range in real life is about 180km between charges. 

i recently bought a 172 seat ateca but the next car in 5 or so years time will likely be electric when ev prices in general come down and the range improves a bit more.

Edited by colemanY2K - 21 Jul 2022 at 12:23pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic