Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Eire's Passing Ability

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eire's Passing Ability
    Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 11:21am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2016 at 12:06pm
o'donnell and horgan could be called up. no reason not to give them a shot. defo horgan at this moment in time, hes someone who can go at defences and create a chance.
Bally O Telly View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bally O Telly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 12:04am
To Eire is human, to forgive divine.

(sorry I just had to say that!!).

Interesting article though, although I have not read it full yet, but yea we don't play a passing game, never have and probably never will!

Mr.Mojo Risin' View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

pray for Mojo!!!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr.Mojo Risin' Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2016 at 6:51pm
Good article
Ahh heya!
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 2:41am
It's all down to the managers we employ. Charlton, Trap, O'Neil all made careers out of hoofball.
We played decent stuff under Mick McCarthy, all be it with a more talented group then our current squad.

I have seen Armenia come to LR and play us off the pitch.
My suspicion is if we beat Georgia it'll be another smash and grab 2-1 or 1-0 where. They'll probably be more constructive while our millionaire footballers hoof it long.

McCarthy, Coleman, Wes, Arter, O'Shea, Brady and Henderick are all good passers of the ball and are all Premier League level players.

While we're never going to be Barcelona it's not too much to ask these lads to pass the ball to each other and be constructive when it's on.

I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 7:44am
O'Shea is not capable of passing the ball, his distribution is terrible.

Edited by horsebox - 21 Sep 2016 at 7:44am
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 8:14am
I missed very few games at Lansdowne under Mick McCarthy yet I'm struggling to recall this fluid passing game so many recall.

Most of our goals now come from long balls and headers from set pieces whereas under McCarthy we played the wings more often, thanks to Duff, had great free kick takers in Harte and Reid who scored some great goals, the 2 Keane's were at the top of their games and scored some wonderful individual goals and then there was a few great strikes from outside the box, the most memorable for me being Mark Kennedy and Matt Holland.

I think the types of goals we scored muddy people's memory of the lump it long tactics McCarthy also deployed a lot of the time.

Having passers of the ball like Keane and Andy Reid would also help.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:25am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Well unless he's suddenly forgotten how since his days as a midfielder/full-back, I'd say his distribution is more than adequate. O'Shea was always a very reliable distributor of the ball, nothing spectacular but he hardly ever gave it away.
We're decent enough..
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 10:29am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Well unless he's suddenly forgotten how since his days as a midfielder/full-back, I'd say his distribution is more than adequate. O'Shea was always a very reliable distributor of the ball, nothing spectacular but he hardly ever gave it away.

His distribution is dire, it's probably the worst part of his game.

This is coming from a Sunderland fan not just an Ireland one.

Sunderland fans love him, but his aimless punting of the ball up field is a massive issue. 

Edited by Green Devil - 21 Sep 2016 at 10:51am
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 11:48am

really, cause i always thought his passing was brutal. i thought everyone was in agreement with that. 
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

I missed very few games at Lansdowne under Mick McCarthy yet I'm struggling to recall this fluid passing game so many recall.

Most of our goals now come from long balls and headers from set pieces whereas under McCarthy we played the wings more often, thanks to Duff, had great free kick takers in Harte and Reid who scored some great goals, the 2 Keane's were at the top of their games and scored some wonderful individual goals and then there was a few great strikes from outside the box, the most memorable for me being Mark Kennedy and Matt Holland.

I think the types of goals we scored muddy people's memory of the lump it long tactics McCarthy also deployed a lot of the time.

Having passers of the ball like Keane and Andy Reid would also help.
McCarthy always tried to play football with the long ball as plan B.
And when you have Niall Quinn on the pitch (or bench) it was correct to have this plan B.

Also Roy Keane would never have allowed long balls being played while he was captain under McCarthy.
Under Jack, Keane was only a boy and did what he was told.

McCarthy also toyed with 3 at the back.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:28pm
these players have a brain out on the pitch though. its too easy just to assume Trap or O'Neill tells them you have to hump it long and woe becomes anyone who tries to pass the ball. there is nothing to stop our players passing the ball to each other but at the minute and for a long time we just seem incapable. you don't need coaching lessons to pass the ball to each other. are we to say that if we played like barca against georgia next month that O'Neill would be furious? NO. i think its just too simply to say its all down to the coach. he may encourage a long ball but it does not mean we cannot pass the ball around also.
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RogerMilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:36pm
Any training session I was at was all passing , in the heat of battle though they hoof it
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
RayHoughton View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RayHoughton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:52pm
Dundalk players should be called up. They'll either Sink or Swim. LOI players would not be on huge amounts of money compared to Irish lads playing in England, so to get a call-up to the international squad would be of benefit to the LOI.

You never know, maybe some oil Baron would invest heavily into an LOI team.
George 'The Baggio brothers, of course, are not related' Hamilton

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

His distribution is dire, it's probably the worst part of his game.

This is coming from a Sunderland fan not just an Ireland one.

Sunderland fans love him, but his aimless punting of the ball up field is a massive issue. 

You don't last 10 years playing as a midfielder and full-back for Manchester United if your passing is "dire". His play has probably deteriorated somewhat in recent years due to his loss of mobility, but he's no Mick McCarthy none the less.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic