You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ebola Virus

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ebola Virus
    Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 11:49am
What do people think, is this the virus to wipe us all out?

I see the World Bank have pledged $200m do fight the outbreak.

Might be worthwhile buying some shares in Mapp Biopharmaceutical or Tekirma.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101892335#.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 1:34pm
I'm just back from a stag in Liverpool and I felt so rough this morning, I actually googled the full symptoms of Ebola to see if I had it. Apparently it take 4 - 7 days to incubate. I'll let you know how I am over the next while
El Puto Amo
Paulie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 2:09pm
Try reading The Hot Zone. Scary stuff.

The Hot Zone: A Terrifying True Story is a best-selling[1] 1994 non-fiction thriller by Richard Preston about the origins and incidents involving viral hemorrhagic fevers, particularly ebolaviruses and marburgviruses. The basis of the book was Preston's 1992 New Yorker article "Crisis in the Hot Zone".[2]

The filoviruses Ebola virus (EBOV), Sudan virus (SUDV), Marburg virus (MARV), and Ravn virus (RAVV) are Biosafety Level 4 agents. Biosafety Level 4 agents are extremely dangerous to humans because they are very infectious, have a high case-fatality rate, and there are no known prophylactics, treatments, or cures. Along with describing the history of the diseases caused by these two Central African diseases, Ebola virus disease (EVD) and Marburg virus disease (MVD), Preston describes a 1989 incident in which a relative of Ebola virus named Reston virus (RESTV), was discovered at a primate quarantine facility in Reston, Virginia, less than fifteen miles (24 km) away from Washington, DC. The virus found at the facility was a mutated form of the original Ebola virus, and was initially mistaken for Simian Hemorrhagic Fever (SHV). The original Reston facility involved in the incident, located at 1946 Isaac Newton Square, was subsequently torn down sometime between 1995 and 1998.[3]

Contents [hide]
1 Synopsis
2 Reception
3 See also
4 References
4.1 Notes
4.2 Bibliography
5 Further reading
6 External links
Synopsis[edit]
The book is in four sections:

"The Shadow of Mount Elgon" delves into the history of filoviruses, as well as speculation about the origins of AIDS. Preston accounts the story of "Charles Monet" (a pseudonym), who might have caught MARV from visiting Kitum Cave on Mount Elgon in Kenya. The author describes in great detail the progression of the disease, from the initial headache and backache, to the final stage in which Monet's internal organs fail and he "bleeds out" (i.e., hemorrhages extensively) in a waiting room in a Nairobi hospital. This part also introduces a young promising physician who becomes infected with MARV while treating Monet. Nancy Jaax's story is told. Viruses, and biosafety levels and procedures are described. The EVD outbreaks caused by EBOV and its cousin, Sudan virus (SUDV) are mentioned. Preston talks to the man who named Ebola virus.
"The Monkey House" chronicles the discovery of Reston virus among imported monkeys in Reston, Virginia, and the following actions taken by the U.S. Army and Centers for Disease Control.
"Smashdown" is more on the Reston epizootic, which involved a strain of the virus that does not affect humans but which easily spreads by air, and is very similar to its cousin the Ebola virus.
"Kitum Cave" tells of the author's visiting the cave that is the suspected home of the natural host animal that Ebola lives inside of.
The book starts with "Charles Monet" visiting Kitum Cave during a camping trip to Mount Elgon in Central Africa. Not long after, he begins to suffer from a number of symptoms, including vomiting, diarrhea and red eye. He is soon taken to Nairobi Hospital for treatment, but his condition deteriorates further and he goes into a coma while in the waiting room. This particular filovirus is called Marburg virus.

Dr. Nancy Jaax had been promoted to work in the Level 4 Biosafety containment area at USAMRIID, and is assigned to research Ebola virus. While preparing food for her family at home, she cuts her right hand. Later, while working on a dead, EBOV-infected monkey, one of the gloves on the hand with the open wound tears, and she is almost exposed to contaminated blood, but does not get infected. Nurse Mayinga is also infected by a nun and elects to visit Nairobi Hospital for treatment, where she succumbs to the disease.

In Reston, Virginia, less than fifteen miles (24 km) away from Washington, DC, a company called Hazelton Research once operated a quarantine center for monkeys that were destined for laboratories. In October 1989, when an unusually high number of their monkeys began to die, their veterinarian decided to send some samples to Fort Detrick (USAMRIID) for study. Early during the testing process in biosafety level 3, when one of the flasks appeared to be contaminated with harmless pseudomonas bacterium, two USAMRIID scientists exposed themselves to the virus by wafting the flask. They later determine that, while the virus is terrifyingly lethal to monkeys, humans can be infected with it without any health effects at all. This virus is now known as Reston virus (RESTV).

Finally, the author himself goes into Africa to explore Kitum Cave. On the way, he discusses the role of AIDS in the present, as the highway they were on, sometimes called the "AIDS Highway," or the "Kinshasa Highway" was where it first appeared. Equipped with a Hazmat suit, he enters the cave and finds a large number of animals, one of which might be the virus carrier. At the conclusion of the book, he travels to the quarantine facility in Reston. The building there was abandoned and deteriorating. He concludes the book by saying EBOV will be back.

Reception[edit]
In his blurb, horror writer Stephen King called the first chapter, "one of the most horrifying things I've read in my whole life."[4] When asked whether any book "scared the pants off you" television writer Suzanne Collins answered, "The Hot Zone, by Richard Preston. I just read it a few weeks ago. Still recovering."[5]
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 2:28pm
Ebola one of the many potentially fatal viruses in the world today....and in my view...the best!
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2014 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

I'm just back from a stag in Liverpool and I felt so rough this morning, I actually googled the full symptoms of Ebola to see if I had it. Apparently it take 4 - 7 days to incubate. I'll let you know how I am over the next while

Sounds like you MCH
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 8:21am
It's here!
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 8:26am
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 9:20am
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

It's here!

"There are no confirmed or suspected cases of Ebola in Ireland at this moment" HSE statement a few minutes ago
Metal Paul View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 11:46am
Is this the beginning of the end??
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 12:55pm
If ever there was a time to panic, it is now.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 1:41pm
Ebola Virus spotted in Galway today hanging around street corners looking for trouble.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:18pm

A reliable source told me about this on Tuesday, the HSE have being kitting out the Matter all week with Boiler Suits etc. All equipment used in the treatment of the patient is to be destroyed. The patient is of Nigerian decent and recently returned to Ireland from there, thus raising the suspicion when he presetned himself with the symtoms. He has being in another Dublin hospital until today but has being in isolation.

Curiousdub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curiousdub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 2:57pm
Stop the f**king flights to and from these countries affected.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Curiousdub Curiousdub wrote:

Stop the f**king flights to and from these countries affected.

I dont think there are many direct flights to Guinea , Sierra Leone and Nigera. They all go to London. It has to be the UK that stops the flights and even then they could still go to Paris etc

Edited by Landon Donovan - 15 Aug 2014 at 3:17pm
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:29pm
hopefully nile ranger catches it. 

cant see it making its way to blackpool though. 
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 3:36pm
More people die of colds and flu then all the other viruses put together.

So my suggestion is punch the next oul wan that sneezes near you
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Ebola one of the many potentially fatal viruses in the world today....and in my view...the best!
LOL
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Count Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 10:34pm
check this out, mental stuff!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2794854/what-thinking-mystery-man-without-hazmat-suit-seen-helping-2nd-ebola-nurse-board-plane-atlanta-joining-them.html

'Who's the idiot with the clipboard?' Disbelief and panic as mystery man WITHOUT a hazmat suit helps second Ebola nurse board her plane to Atlanta, disposes waste and then climbs aboard

• Man casually dressed in shirt and pants seen on TV walking with Ebola patient Amber Vinson
  • He carried a clipboard and walked alongside Ms Vinson and healthcare workers who were ALL dressed in hazmat suits
  • He has been identified as a supervisor for Phoenix Air, the company that flew Miss Vinson to Atlanta  
  • Miss Vinson walked onto the plane in Dallas and the man without protection also boarded the plane, flying with her to Atlanta, Georgia
  • Social media has dubbed him the 'clipboard man' - expressing shock that he came so close to an infected patient and unprotected  
As news helicopters swarmed over Dallas' Love Field on Wednesday evening to watch the second U.S. nurse to contract Ebola board a private plane bound for Atlanta, one lone mysterious man stood out from the pack.

Holding a clipboard and directing the transfer, the unidentified man seemed to be the only person on the tarmac without protective clothing, wearing just a button down shirt and slacks.

While Ebola is not an airborne disease, his presence so close to patient Amber Vinson's medical team sparked fears after he was seen grabbing a container and hazmat trash bag from one of the workers' in full-protective gear and later boarding the flight. 

He then flew with Vinson and the other hazmat-suited medical staff to Atlanta and local television crews spotted him with the stricken nurse as she disembarked at the airport in Georgia to be transferred to Emory University Hospital.

ABC News reports that the man is a supervisor for Phoenix Air, the company that flew Miss Vinson from Dallas to Atlanta.  

When the plane landed in Atlanta, the man had still not donned any protective clothing and was seen openly interacting with Vinson and the other medical professionals caring for the nurse.  

Scroll down for video 

Is he with the CDC? Both the ambulance company and Emory University Hospital said the unprotected man with the clipboard (center) is not one of their employees - meaning he is likely a CDC employee
+20

Is he with the CDC? Both the ambulance company and Emory University Hospital said the unprotected man with the clipboard (center) is not one of their employees - meaning he is likely a CDC employee

A man in plain clothes was seen on the tarmac Wednesday afternoon, as the second Ebola patient (in yellow hazmat suit) boarded a flight to Atlanta, Georgia 

A man in plain clothes was seen on the tarmac Wednesday afternoon, as the second Ebola patient (in yellow hazmat suit) boarded a flight to Atlanta, Georgia 

The man is seen boarding the flight, after exchanging several objects with the hazmat crew 

The man is seen boarding the flight, after exchanging several objects with the hazmat crew 

Clipboard man appears to have flown on the same flight as infected Miss Vinson, as he is seen in footage of her getting into an ambulance at an airport in Atlanta 

Clipboard man appears to have flown on the same flight as infected Miss Vinson, as he is seen in footage of her getting into an ambulance at an airport in Atlanta 

Members of the public watching were struck with disbelief at the man's decision to throw caution to the wind. 

'He needs to be put on watch the second the plane lands so he does not infect anyone in Atlanta. This needs to be contained and I for one will be ticked of I hear a report next week that he is the next victim!' Dean Pitts wrote on NBC Dallas' website.  

Phoenix Air, which operates the special air ambulances that have also flown all five American Ebola patients from West African to the US, claimed the unprotected man actually made the process safer. 

'Our medical professionals in the biohazard suits have limited vision and mobility and it is the protocol supervisor’s job to watch each person carefully and give them verbal directions to insure no close contact protocols are violated,' a Phoenix Air spokesman told ABC. 

'There is absolutely no problem with this and in fact insures an even higher level of safety for all involved.' 

Vinson landed in Atlanta, Georgia before 8pm Eastern Time to be treated at Emory University Hospital

Vinson landed in Atlanta, Georgia before 8pm Eastern Time to be treated at Emory University Hospital

A CDC spokesman told KTVT that they didn't think anything was wrong with the interaction since he 'kept a safe distance'.  

Miss Vinson's flight landed in Atlanta around 7:45pm Eastern Time. 

Social media was as equally impressed as they were dumbfounded by the man who has quickly become known as 'clipboard man' online.

Dan Hevia said what many shocked viewers must have immediately thought when they saw the brave or foolhardy individual when he wrote, 'I'd like to know who the dude with the clipboard is so I can avoid him. C'mon!

Another incredulous witness was staggered, asking, 'My infectious disease training may be a bit limited but fairly sure that clipboard isn't Ebola proof.'

Others went straight to the heart of the matter, with Lib Media Exposed asking, 'Who's the idiot who thinks all the protection he needs from Ebola is a f******' clipboard?'

Another Twitter user, Luke Murray pointed out that 'clipboard man' might be the recipient of a dubious prize, should the worst come to the worst.

'So much for protocols,' wrote Lurray. 'Clipboard dude in the pic with nurse 2 is up for a Dawrin Award should something happen to him.'

The mystery man on the tarmac is just the latest questionable practice highlighted in the CDC's handling of the Ebola outbreak in America, which started when Liberian patient Thomas Eric Duncan was initially turned away from Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital last month after reporting a high fever. 

The man with the clipboard is seen grabbing various objects from the hazmat team, raising questions about whether he could have been contaminated 
The man with the clipboard is seen grabbing various objects from the hazmat team, raising questions about whether he could have been contaminated 

A plane carrying Miss Vinson, who tested positive for Ebola, departs Love Field for Atlanta

A plane carrying Miss Vinson, who tested positive for Ebola, departs Love Field for Atlanta

Despite telling health care workers that he had recently returned from Liberia, he was not tested for Ebola, and was instead sent home with antibiotics. He returned home to his family's apartment and continued to get worse over the next several days. It was only when he was taken to the hospital a second time, that time by ambulance, that medics discovered he had Ebola. 

And in the initial days of Duncan's treatment, nurses at the Dallas hospital revealed that they were given 'no protocols' on how to dress when caring for the Ebola patient. 

That confusion led nurse Nina Pham, 26, to report to the hospital on Friday when she noticed a spike in her temperature. Just four days later, her co-worker Miss Vinson, became the second nurse at the hospital to contract the disease. The CDC is currently monitoring more than 75 health care workers at the hospital who came into contact with Duncan during his stay. He passed way from the disease last week. 

The worsening Ebola problem led President Obama to abruptly cancel a planned campaign trip on Wednesday, deciding to meet with his Cabinet on the issue instead.   

Obama's decision to nix the trip - just a few hours before Air Force One was scheduled to depart - reflected the urgency facing the administration amid the American public's escalating concerns about potential spread of the virus.

Ebola patient Amber Vinson arrives by ambulance at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta yesterday

Ebola patient Amber Vinson arrives by ambulance at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta yesterday

Miss Vinsons plane landed in Atlanta around 7:45pm Eastern Time. She was then seen being loaded into an ambulance (pictured) to be taken to Emory University Hospital

Miss Vinson's plane landed in Atlanta around 7:45pm Eastern Time. She was then seen being loaded into an ambulance (pictured) to be taken to Emory University Hospital

Press secretary Josh Earnest said on Wednesday that Obama still had confidence in CDC Director Tom Frieden.

However, the president admitted that Ebola needs to be fought in a 'much more aggressive way'.

'What we've been doing here is reviewing exactly what we know about what’s happened in Dallas,' Obama said Wednesday, 'and how we’re going to make sure that something like this is not repeated – and that we are monitoring, supervising, overseeing in a much more aggressive way exactly what has taken place in Dallas initially, and making sure that the lessons learned are then transmitted to hospitals and clinics all across the country.'

Emergency vehicles escort an ambulance carrying Miss Vinson on the tarmac at Love Field Airport

Emergency vehicles escort an ambulance carrying Miss Vinson on the tarmac at Love Field Airport

A maintenance woman wears a mask while working before the Protect Environmental Haz-Mat emergency response team arrived at the Bend East apartment complex where the Ebola-stricken nurse lives

A maintenance woman wears a mask while working before the Protect Environmental Haz-Mat emergency response team arrived at the Bend East apartment complex where the Ebola-stricken nurse lives

Workers in hazmat suits begin to decontaminate the female Ebola patients apartment, covering the door with plastic sheeting 

Workers in hazmat suits begin to decontaminate the female Ebola patient's apartment, covering the door with plastic sheeting 

Decontamination was in progress in the apartment building of the second health care worker with Ebola 

Decontamination was in progress in the apartment building of the second health care worker with Ebola 

This comes as President Barack Obama pledged on Wednesday to approach new cases of the Ebola virus in a 'much more aggressive way,' signaling that his administration hasn't already been doing all it can to slow the advance of the deadly contagion.

As pressure grows on the administration to explain how it has failed to contain the disease in Texas, the president said the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention would launch a 'rapid response SWAT team' within 24 hours whenever a new case is confirmed.

A Frontier Airlines jet carrying Dallas nurse Amber Jay Vinson crisscrossed Americas skies

A Frontier Airlines jet carrying Dallas nurse Amber Jay Vinson crisscrossed America's skies

The CDC team, he said, will 'take local hospitals step by step through what needs to be done.'

Obama's comments to the press came after a hastily called all-hands-on-deck cabinet meeting that lasted two hours and pre-empted a pair of planned political campaign appearances in New Jersey and Connecticut.

The president's promise to get more serious about Ebola mirrors a vow on Monday from CDC Director Dr. Thomas Frieden, who said his agency would 'double down' on disease surveillance and interventions.

The Frontier Airlines plane that Amber Vinson flew from Cleveland to Dallas on Monday, rests at a terminal at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Wednesday

The Frontier Airlines plane that Amber Vinson flew from Cleveland to Dallas on Monday, rests at a terminal at Cleveland Hopkins International Airport on Wednesday

Dallas Police patrol the entrance to The Village Bend East apartments where a nurse, Amber Jay Vinson, tested positive for Ebola after caring for patient zero Thomas Duncan

Dallas Police patrol the entrance to The Village Bend East apartments where a nurse, Amber Jay Vinson, tested positive for Ebola after caring for 'patient zero' Thomas Duncan

In harms way: Obama said he had personally hugged and shook hands with nurses who had treated an Ebola patient at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta

In harm's way: Obama said he had personally hugged and shook hands with nurses who had treated an Ebola patient at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta

Miss Winson is transported to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta where she is receiving treatment for Ebola

Miss Winson is transported to Emory University Hospital in Atlanta where she is receiving treatment for Ebola

That comment, too, suggested that the government hadn't yet put the pedal to the metal.

'What we've been doing here is reviewing exactly what we know about what’s happened in Dallas,' Obama said Wednesday, 'and how we’re going to make sure that something like this is not repeated – and that we are monitoring, supervising, overseeing in a much more aggressive way exactly what has taken place in Dallas initially, and making sure that the lessons learned are then transmitted to hospitals and clinics all across the country.'

Obama is struggling amid low approval ratings to show that he's in command of the world's most sophisticated public health infrastructure as Ebola threatens to claim tens of thousands of lives across the Atlantic Ocean.

'I am absolutely confident that we can prevent a serious outbreak of the disease here in the United States,' Obama said, 'but it becomes more difficult to do so if this epidemic of Ebola rages out of control in West Africa.'

Wrong guy? Thomas Frieden (on screen) is a doctor with years of experience in monitoring disease outbreaks, but his communication style and his all-is-well predictions rub some in Congress the wrong way

Wrong guy? Thomas Frieden (on screen) is a doctor with years of experience in monitoring disease outbreaks, but his communication style and his all-is-well predictions rub some in Congress the wrong way

President Barack Obama called off a political trip on Wednesday to convene an Ebola brain-trust meeting at the White House, saying afterward that his administration would be much more aggressive in the future

President Barack Obama called off a political trip on Wednesday to convene an Ebola brain-trust meeting at the White House, saying afterward that his administration would be 'much more aggressive' in the future

'If it does, then it will spread globally in an age of frequent travel and the kind of constant interactions that people have across borders.'

Citing the need to continue sending relief workers and aid shipments to western Africa, he insisted that 'the investment we make in helping Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea deal with this problem is an investment in our own public health.'

'This is not simply charity. ... It is also probably the single most important thing we can do to prevent a more serious Ebola outbreak in this country.'

In a bid to assure Americans that the risk of transmitting Ebola from person to person is low, Obama said that he personally 'shook hands with, hugged and kissed (not the doctors) but a couple of the nurses at Emory [University Hospital] because of the valiant work that they did in treating one of the patients.'

'The followed the protocols, they knew what they were doing and I felt perfectly safe doing so,' he said. 'This is not a situation like the flu where the risks of a rapid spread of the disease are imminent.'

'I want to use myself as an example so people have a sense of the science here,' Obama declared.

But the president's confidence has been confounded by his choice of point-persons, which is under fierce attack on Capitol Hill as Republican members of Congress privately fret that the administration has put the wrong people out in front.

Frieden on Wednesday blamed the third confirmed U.S. Ebola patient for getting on a commercial aircraft on Monday following her close interaction with the first patient, when she had a slight fever before the aircraft began boarding.

However, later on Wednesday, the CDC admitted they gave Vinson permission to fly.

Edited by The Count - 16 Oct 2014 at 10:35pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic