You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dundalk FC Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 91>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2018 at 5:01pm
There is no long term profit in league of Ireland clubs. Look, I know some of ye are 'Dundalk till I die' and that really is great but for feck sake think about it. It'll be good for five years and then a complete disaster after that.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Sponsored Links

oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 10:53am
When we were going tits up a few years back Niall Quinn turned up at a members meeting with a rescue plan and a millionaire investor and a five year plan to bankroll a fully pro side.all we had to do was hand over dalymount and cease to be a members owned club, baddabing. He was told no, thankfully, but i do hope dundalks buyers have a genuine interest in a long haul ownership.something that dosent stink to high heaven like nialls bullsh*t anyway.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:41am
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

There is no long term profit in league of Ireland clubs. Look, I know some of ye are 'Dundalk till I die' and that really is great but for feck sake think about it. It'll be good for five years and then a complete disaster after that.

These guys are definitely financially motivated so I believe they must have some kind of a plan.
IMO they think they can get Dundalk set up properly to attract all the best talent available in Ireland. Get the odd decent run in Europe and get proper contracts in place so they can sell the top players to foreign clubs and also use Dundalk as a feeder club to other clubs.

Whether this works or not remains to be seen.

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

These guys are definitely financially motivated so I believe they must have some kind of a plan.
IMO they think they can get Dundalk set up properly to attract all the best talent available in Ireland. Get the odd decent run in Europe and get proper contracts in place so they can sell the top players to foreign clubs and also use Dundalk as a feeder club to other clubs.

Whether this works or not remains to be seen.

Again I ask the question, what's a couple of million to a company that's worth billions?

Surely there are much easier ways for them to make money

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Pablo Escobar View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pablo Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Again I ask the question, what's a couple of million to a company that's worth billions?

Surely there are much easier ways for them to make money

I know very little about Peak 6, only that I just googled them and they have $2bn plus AUM. This does not mean they're worth billions. It just means that outsiders have given them billions to make a return. Will they achieve this by pissing it away in the LOI?

These asset managers are smart people and will be directly bonused on long and short term returns. Sunk costs will likely not interest them. Now, can I ask how the likely risk-return of an investment in a LOI club would provide prudent investment?

Is it known how much they acquired the 100% stake for? I'd guess Dundalk must have a pretty strong Balance Sheet......

Edited by Pablo Escobar - 21 Jan 2018 at 7:39pm
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:27pm
I would guess the club would have had 2.5-3m I'm the bank, so I would say they have already spent more than they will realistically make back!

Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:30pm
Of course Paul and Andy may have taken that money with them and I don't think anyone with begrudge them that, it just means that they could have sold the club for very little, we may never know of course

Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pablo Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:41pm

Of course Paul and Andy may have taken that money with them and I don't think anyone with begrudge them that, it just means that they could have sold the club for very little, we may never know of course

They can't do that.

Look, anything I suggest is a personal opinion, based on judgment from very little info. I'll remain extremely sceptical until I see plans that make sense or something tangible.

Edited by Pablo Escobar - 21 Jan 2018 at 7:42pm
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 7:54pm
Why can't they do it?

Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pablo Escobar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:10pm

Why can't they do it?

Technically they can pay themselves a dividend, but let's not get into this. If they have the club at heart, as some Dundalk fans have stated, I would doubt they did.

There's really no point in arguing over the unknowns though. A healthy dose of scepticism is my recommendation. Dundalk fans can heed that or choose to ignore as they please.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 8:19pm
Well if they didn't then it's safe to assume they got the same amount from peak 6 when selling, which goes back to my point above, peak 6 already have spent more than they can realistically expect to make back!

There are no dundalk fans I know getting carried away with this, most are excited but nervous. We have yet to hear from the investors to see what their plans are, the main issue being will they invest in the ground or not.

That will be the biggest indication of their commitment to the club

Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 9:39pm
Maybe some lax Irish tax laws are enticing them to do business here . I've friends who are season ticket holders and they can't undsetand it and are not complaining "yet"
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2018 at 10:01pm
Nobody I know understands it

Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Originally posted by 02ba_rebel 02ba_rebel wrote:

This will end in tears.
hopefully..............Big smile

they'll end up ground sharing with us in utd park

They never bought the lease on Oriel Park, so we are ok! 

Are you guys not moving? Was their not talk of a new stadium on LMFM recently.
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Originally posted by 02ba_rebel 02ba_rebel wrote:

This will end in tears.
hopefully..............Big smile

they'll end up ground sharing with us in utd park

They never bought the lease on Oriel Park, so we are ok! 

Are you guys not moving? Was their not talk of a new stadium on LMFM recently.

yeah , down on the ballymakenny road,i haven't heard much ,  like most loi moves I believe when I walk thru the turnstiles...
Come on Irelind
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2018 at 8:59pm
Pictures from Dundalk Fc website during build-up and action from Dundalk 1:1 Shenxin Shanghai

The lovely Venue: Real Club de Golf Campoamor, Alicante/Alacant, Valencian Community, Spain

I understand Dundalk are due to play one more pre-season match in Spain.

www.ucdsupporters.ie
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2018 at 2:43pm
I see we signed some Hungarian dude on loan, really going all international with our last two sigings

Reildogg View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reildogg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2018 at 4:52pm
Dano Cleary signed there apparently after an unimpressive but successful Rovers trial
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2930313233 91>
  Share Topic