You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dublin Narcos

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dublin Narcos
    Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:02pm
Just finished watching the third episode of this on sky.

Knew a lot of the content but some surprises.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

What did you think DM ? I was at a do in Dublin at the weekend and it was discussed, the view of the people who watched it said it was total rubbish, so badly done that it was funny. I've only watched the first episode and that was enough for me. 
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:24pm
Terribly made I thought 
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2023 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

What did you think DM ? I was at a do in Dublin at the weekend and it was discussed, the view of the people who watched it said it was total rubbish, so badly done that it was funny. I've only watched the first episode and that was enough for me. 

It didn't really show a great deal of new insight that I thought it would have focused on.

I'm sure people on here from Dublin of a certain age could have given a better insight.

Didn't like how the Dunne family were glorified in parts.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 4:43am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Terribly made I thought 

Have only seen the first episode but I thought it was reasonably well made.

The dramatisations were brutal but they're never usually great. How hard is it to get actual actors from Dublin rather than someone butchering a Dublin accent.

There was a lot of archive footage I hadn't seen before so I enjoyed that.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 8:41am
Never heard of this - where can you watch it?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 9:06am
Found it unwatchable to be honest, all for getting first hand accounts but I felt they were totally glorifying themselves and making it seem like they weren't drug dealers.

Nicola Talents excellent podcast did an interview with a few of the characters recently which I found far more insigthful
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 10:02am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Never heard of this - where can you watch it?

On sky.
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 10:31am

I thought it was decent but a bit of a wasted opportunity. Sky obviously have a big budget and great documentary making capabilities so they didn’t make the most of the potential.

It had a bit of a “Banged Up Abroad” vibe to the production. 

As said above, the re-enactments were brutal! They might play better to a non Irish audience who can’t tell the difference in the accents. 

The topic of drugs and gangland in Dublin is so broad that they had to take a bit of an overview with a more granular focus on only a few specific storylines (the Dunnes, Gilligan and Guerin) to fit it into 3 episodes. I didn’t know the majority of the contributors either. Some of them were entertaining or worth listening to (Dean Scurry, Lynn Ruane, Tony Curry).
Interesting to see Noirin O Sullivan being interviewed,
I never knew that she was part of the Drug Squad. 
The Dunne brother was such an obvious spoofer that he rendered his testimony irrelevant in terms of content. 

I enjoyed the second episode as I was into the rave and dance scene. 

I don’t know about anyone being “glamourised”. Most of them had cautionary tales and the gangsters were shown as ruthless and dangerous.

There’s prob a bit of bias as I enjoy watching stuff about Dublin general but I’d give it a 6/10

El Puto Amo
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 11:59am
As Shedite said the SW Crime podcast about this featured the hairdresser Paul Tracey who was in episode 1 of DN and his contention based on his experience was that heroin first appeared in Dublin in UCD in the late 70s early 80s brought in by students who first discovered it in London. I'm of an age to remember the mid 80s and the heavy drug scene was mainly centralised in the flat complexes in the underprivileged parts of town - Theresa's, Fatima, Hardwicke St, Corporation Buildings and in Ballymun and parts of Dun Laoghaire. Anyone with their heads screwed on knew where to avoid around town. Heroin in my experience was not prevalent in the pub scene and in the pre mobile phone era if you wanted it you had to search it out. There was a number of telephone boxes outside Abrakebabra on O'Connell Bridge which had a steady stream of addicts ringing dealers, they'd put sh*te in the return money collection box, so ordinary joes would leave their money their and the addicts would get it.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic