You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drink driving

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Whats you attitude towards drink driving
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
10 [15.38%]
7 [10.77%]
2 [3.08%]
18 [27.69%]
10 [15.38%]
4 [6.15%]
5 [7.69%]
9 [13.85%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
The Dude

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Metal Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 4:45pm
2, 4 and 5.  
"There are no chicks with dicks Johnny, just guys with tits."
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 4:56pm
I've only ever done it once, after the Bosnia match last May. I must have had the best part of 10 pints throughout the day and had to drop my Mam to her friends house as my Dad was out of the country and my moths car was banjaxed. I was a nervous wreck doing it and I'll never do it again.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:03pm
Drove home pissed once (day I got home from a Spanish holiday, went to a 40th) in 2000 and vowed never to do it again.  I only had to drive about 2 miles but it was fookin ridiculous thing to do.  Since the drink driving law was changed, I might occasionally have 1 pint all night, or else just stay on the water or soft drinks.  Just not socially or morally acceptable anymore.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:16pm
If you drink and drive you are being a stupid selfish prick. End of.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:37pm
Got caught win the engine turned on hammered one night. Don't remember it and thank god they caught me because god only knows what would have happened. Before getting caught I would have the odd time drove home from the local pub which I don't have to go out onto any main roads while being over the limit for sure.

Since getting me license back I would never drink and drive, the maximum I've had would be a bottle of beer or going to an Ireland game I've had 2 pints before the game on one occassion.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:43pm
Have driven very drunk twice. Wouldn't do it again
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Don't think its an "end of" black or white situation.

1)Somebody having 2 pints (over the limit) and driving 2 miles down a country lane in a very rural area

2) Getting black out drunk not remembering driving through city and residential area.

Big difference between the two imho and I'm not preaching as i've done both many times .

Kind of a separate point but also related,

I think boy racers thinking they are immortal and are better drivers than anyone else on the road pulling stupid/dangerous moves on the road are selfish pricks.Again I was one of them so not preaching.
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 6:21pm
Stupidly done it a few times. Worst was 3 years ago the time of the bad snow and frost. Drove 9 miles on more or less ice because we thought "ah sure the guards will hardly be stopping in that weather"
Got back to my house in one piece but the mates car was parked at mine and he lived another half mile up the road. He drove his car home but ploughed into the side of a minibus on his street that his ole fella drove for a handicapped kids school. Just hopped out if the car where it was and went to bed. Had no recollection of anythin next morning when his ole fella was standing over him ready to deck him!
Ill never put myself in a situation where I could potentially drink and drive anymore
sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 6:38pm

Ever got into a car knowing the driver has been drinking TJ? (excluding your aul lad up to when you were young)
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Polcia View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Ybig's resident Doctor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polcia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:02pm
Drink driving is a plague in Poland Thumbs Down

So damn stupid...
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:06pm
If it was a bicycle, 2, 3, 4 and 6.

I've cycled home and not remembered doing it more times than I can remember. The big thing that stopped that messing was last October, when I went to a friend's house for a few drinks. Bought a bottle of rum, met the bottom of that with another friend there, then starting making mojitos with gin. Fell asleep on the couch, only to wake up at 1am and find the place empty. Of course, I cycled into town, had a kebab, then went on to meet my friends. I remember cycling along the quays, then up to Baggot street where I met them. Definitely went on to Leeson street, was in a place there briefly, and then presumably went to head home. At some stage en route home, I fell off the bike (towards the kerb) and, upon feeling a bit of a snap, looked down and noticed my thumb was at *completely* the wrong angle. So I ended up leaving the bike and getting a taxi to James's hospital. When I left James's about three hours later, dislocated thumb having been snapped back into place, I didn't have a clue where the bike was. I spent the best part of the following weekend (this was a Friday night) walking the streets in that area of Dublin never to find it. Thankfully the hospital were able to relocate my thumb even if I wasn't able to relocate my bike. I've posted this story on here before, but it is definitely relevant to this thread, so sorry if anyone is reading it a second time. I've never deliberately set out to drink cycle since and invariably take the bus into work on Fridays just in case I end up out. I still wouldn't have an issue cycling home after three or four pints, but I have set a four pint limit that I haven't broken since that night.

But I have no driving licence, so option eight on the above poll.
jinky View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Ireland's number one fan, ole ole ole

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jinky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by ShannonHibs10 ShannonHibs10 wrote:

Originally posted by jinky jinky wrote:

i read somewhere car manufacturers are trying to develop cars that drive themselves... problem solved when they come out

Until cars like that exist, I think the lads over in New Zealand have a great way to get the car home from the pub.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-12-11/an-new-zealands-driving-dogs-pass-their-driving-test/4420446

A pair of highly trained dogs from New Zealand have passed their doggie driving test, guiding a modified car along a race track on live television.

In a project aimed at increasing pet adoptions from animal shelters, a group of cross-breed rescue dogs from Auckland were taught to drive a car - steering, pedals and all - to show the potential of unwanted canines.

Footage of the motorised mutts learning their skills has proved an internet sensation, but their ultimate test came when the two best performers, Monty and Porter, were put through their paces on national television.

Monty the giant schnauzer cross was first up, driving the modified Mini down the straight by himself, in what is claimed to be a world first.

"It's all the dog doing it," trainer Mark Vette said.

"He's started the key, put the paw on the brake to allow it to go into gear, put it into drive, paw on the steering wheel, accelerator on, and off he goes down the track."

Mr Vette, who has worked with animals on numerous film sets, admitted he had his doubts when the project was first mooted.

"I must say, this has been the toughest assignment we've had," he said.

"We've done Lord of the Rings, [The Last] Samurai, many of the big movies but to actually get a dog in a car with no trainer and it does the whole gig itself, I tell you what, it's been a real challenge.

"No one's in the car, no tricks, it's all Monty driving - he loves it."

He said the car, which has handles fitted on the steering wheel and dashboard-height brake and accelerator pedals, also came with a speed limiter to restrict it to walking pace.

Although he says there was a mishap ahead of the test.

"The knob came off this morning and he was off down the road at about 30 kilometres an hour and we had to chase after him," he said.

Porter, a bearded collie-cross, then tried the trickier manoeuvre of steering the car around one of the racetrack's bends while a television reporter sat in the passenger seat.

He was largely successful, but ran off the track onto a grass verge at one point as the reporter nervously asked trainers "can we stop now?"

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eco-nomics/2012/09/25/self-driving-cars-will-take-over-by-2040/
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

1)Somebody having 2 pints (over the limit) and driving 2 miles down a country lane in a very rural area

2) Getting black out drunk not remembering driving through city and residential area.

Big difference between the two imho and I'm not preaching as i've done both many times .

I think boy racers thinking they are immortal and are better drivers than anyone else on the road pulling stupid/dangerous moves on the road are selfish pricks.Again I was one of them so not preaching.

To answer your points:
1) You can still kill someone, eg, someone out walking or even yourself or another driver. One lad might be able to handle 2 pints, other lads may not without it affecting them.  Still no excuse imo.

2) Obviously a mindbogglingly stupid thing to do. Should get a 10year driving ban. It's not far off attempted murder.

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:33pm
Live out in the sticks if I lost my driving license I would a foooooooooooooooooool .
Always have one up in Dublin before the match and that's it , otherwise never drink anything when driving at any other time .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:34pm
My bro is good friends with a lad who was a jockey. Won a race. Had a drink with the owners of the horse. They were all going out. He decided to drop the car home after two pints and get a taxi back. Killed two people on his way home.
Mount Joy.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:39pm
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

Ever got into a car knowing the driver has been drinking TJ? (excluding your aul lad up to when you were young)

My dad never did it. Ashamed to say I got in a car with a drink driver about 2 yrs ago. Was down the country with a lad playing golf and he was driving. After the round I ordered a guinness and thought he would order a coke. Next thing he has a pint. So I say to myself 'ffs but 1 pint and he will still be ok'. Next thing some bloke walks in he knows and brings down another couple of pints for us. I wasn't too happy about it but what can you say?  Now yer man is after having 2 pints and is slightly tipsy where he is now jovial and giggling.  So anyay its an hour drive back home on main roads and he is driving. Im not happy but I had no alternative to get home so I had to get a lift off him. Luckily we didnt have an accident but he was driving faster than usual. It puts you in a very difficult situation because you can lose a friend by refusing to get in the car with him and have a big argument but you know that you cant get home without a 90 euro taxi drive.  So now I drive myself to prevent that situation happening again.

ODCO View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Justice for the 96

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ODCO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Live out in the sticks if I lost my driving license I would a foooooooooooooooooool .
Always have one up in Dublin before the match and that's it , otherwise never drink anything when driving at any other time .
Exact same as my ould lad Murph. Can never get how yis can just have one pint thoughLOL Would rather not bother at all tbh
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2013 at 7:42pm

Originally posted by kimbap kimbap wrote:

To answer your points:
1) You can still kill someone, eg, someone out walking or even yourself or another driver. One lad might be able to handle 2 pints, other lads may not without it affecting them.  Still no excuse imo.

2) Obviously a mindbogglingly stupid thing to do. Should get a 10year driving ban. It's not far off attempted murder.

1)Can't fully agree or disagree with you here.I know myself and 90% of my mates would not be impaired after two pints and encounter/create any danger that wouldn't otherwise have occurred on the two mile journey home.Bit of a grey area though.

2)Agree with you here and think you probably would get a 10 year ban and a big fine.

Certainly not proud of driving and not remembering (good few times) as i said twice lost the car.Those times were all in my late teens early twenties.Maybe wouldnt be let now as its not socially acceptable.People had no problem the next day moralising but still got in the car with me the night before.Wouldn't do that ever again and am really thankful I didn't hurt anyone back then.If i was caught and banned for 10 years I'd have no problem with that looking at it sober.That hasnt changed i think anybody deserves it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic