You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doping in sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doping in sport
    Posted: 26 Jun 2013 at 11:24pm
Don't know if anyone has seen the stats from USADA about the amount of doping tests they did last year but some of it is shocking, especially the fact that they only carried out 29 tests on tennis players for the entire year and none of them in competition! For a country that hosts a grand slam and many tour events with massive prize money it's a disgrace

This along with the dr. Fuentes case in Spain really make you wonder about them (Fuentes was gagged by the Spanish government from naming any of his clients other than cyclists)

here are the stats

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:01am
I think they only brought testing in tennis a few years ago. I would imagine Tennis would be a sport where doping would be very beneficial. 

America doesn't really care too much about doping, it is just an inconvenience to them. Spain are happy to see their footballers, tennis players, cyclists etc succeed no matter how they are doing it. 

Football in general has the same attitude. It is pretty much factual that the likes of Maradona and Zidane were doping, yet they are still heralded as great players.  
Irish Times Fantasy 6 Nations

League Name: YBIG League
Password: YBIG
Peake View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2013 at 1:45am
Everybody should watch the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster on Youtube. Fantastic documentary that really gives you an amazing insight into doping in sport.

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 9:30am
Lizzie Armistead cleared despite missing 3 drug tests because her phone was "on silent". British Cycling funded her case appeal against UKAD. Presumably because British athletes as everyone knows never take drugs..
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 10:47am
Well that's not the fully story at all.

She missed 3 tests, and missing a test can happen for a number of reasons as they just turn up at a particular time that you believe you will be home.

And in her case there was an admin error and a serious illness in her family so you must give her the benefit of the doubt.

How many clean tests did she provide in that period?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 11:58am
I do have some sympathy for her in the fact that she was where she said she would be. Was her phone on silent at 6 in the morning? If i was an elite level athlete at an even then yeah i probably would have mine on silent.

Should the testers be calling at 6 in the morning when they probably know the hotel will not give the room details out? maybe, maybe not, as she was there with the GB team could they have contacted a team staff member?

I'm more interested to as to why this was not reported before now, and as to why the procedures to report this to the UCI appear to not have been followed.

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:05pm
They should let them all it, then it's a level playing field. I want to see some lad doped up to the eyeballs run the 100m in 7 seconds.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

They should let them all it, then it's a level playing field. I want to see some lad doped up to the eyeballs run the 100m in 7 seconds.
+1 They are all at it anyway, if they are not they are unlikely to be competitive. Medals to be given to doctors too, be about time they are recognised.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

I do have some sympathy for her in the fact that she was where she said she would be. Was her phone on silent at 6 in the morning? If i was an elite level athlete at an even then yeah i probably would have mine on silent.

Should the testers be calling at 6 in the morning when they probably know the hotel will not give the room details out? maybe, maybe not, as she was there with the GB team could they have contacted a team staff member?

I'm more interested to as to why this was not reported before now, and as to why the procedures to report this to the UCI appear to not have been followed.

It's up to each individual to provide a location and time slot whereby they will be available during a random call out.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Sligo Hornet View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Runner Up, Branson lookalike 2003

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sligo Hornet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:42pm

Possibly in the Fans game in Moldova?
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

It's up to each individual to provide a location and time slot whereby they will be available during a random call out.

Well if she gave a time slot that included a 6am time slot then she should have had the volume turned up on her phone then.

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 1:00pm
Yes. Correct.

This is what I read about her missed tests - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/olympics/36948193

The first came at a World Cup event in Sweden on 20 August, 2015.
    The second was an administrative failure on 5 October
    And the third was a missed test on 9 June this year following "an emergency change of plans due to a serious illness within her family".
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:02pm
Supposedly you must give a 1 hour slot each day that you will be available to be tested,

I assume the 6am time was given as you kinda know where you will be in advance, bed!!

it should be noted that she did pass an in competition test the next day

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:20pm
Exactly.

The athlete in question should be given an opportunity to explain her missed tests and whether they were genuine reasons or not.

In this case I agree with the decision that she should be allowed to continue to compete.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:27pm
I would agree it was a genuine mixup.

But there should be a full explanation, reason why it was covered up and a breakdown of costs for the appeal and why it was British cycling that paid for this.

Also, if she was on two missed tests already how did she miss a third (i understand it was a family emergency)but surely this would be a genuine reason for missing a test and not be counted?

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Sligo Hornet Sligo Hornet wrote:

Possibly in the Fans game in Moldova?
I would say you would seen that many times Hornet , like every time you walk into a pub as most of us are out the side door like a shot .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 3:03pm
So it now appears that she didn't appeal the first missed test when she was first notified of it last summer, have to say that's a bit odd!

And as has been suggested on twitter by many people, what would peoples opinion be if she was a Russian athlete

Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2016 at 3:56pm
Does anyone give a sh*t about the Olympics anymore? Stopped watching it a long long time ago. 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
  Share Topic