You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Documentaries on the web

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

@superdave. Just watching Portillo’s Canadian rail trip programme on BBC 2. Would you prefer Portillo or Palin for the railway docs?
I think I like Portillo's shows in spite of him rather than because of him. He gets some great scenery and background to the area, but a lot of his interviews are very cheesy.
He is an unbelievable ****, but I enjoy Portillo on them. He makes them.

I agree. It wouldn't be the same with Palin over him. In fairness, they're different concepts. Palin's are more about the actual travel whereas Portillos are much more about the arcana of small-town places and what made them a hundred years ago and what still makes them. The show is more about comparisons between 100 years ago and now than it is about the actual experience of travel. Palin's shows tend to be somewhat different but no less enjoyable for it. Portillo's shows wouldn't work as well with Palin, and Palin's wouldn't work as well with Portillo.

There's a couple from London who have done a whole heap of railway youtube videos, including one where they visit all the stations in GB then last year all the stations in Ireland. They have decent enough production values too even if they are themselves a bit nerdy. In fairness though, that's to be expected from a couple making youtube videos on trains. They've done the longest possible journey on the UK rail network on the summer solstice (Penzance to Aberdeen) and the shortest on the winter solstice (some weird tram job thing in the Midlands somewhere). Their videos are generally worth watching. They've a couple of great videos from Corrour (that bleak Highlands part of Trainspotting). The youtube channel is called All The Stations. I've watched a decent number of them and they're entertaining, in particular when they go to places like the West Highland Line and Cornwall. They have the same nose for the lesser-spotted things in our midst, like the mini-series they do on the least-used stations on each line or in each county in England. They don't have the same budget as Palin or Portillo (obviously enough) but the series is none the worse for it.
I might give these a go next week; I assume they are easy to find?
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 3:19pm

They can come across as d*cks at times but mostly they're alright. And they're not really documentaries as such, mostly shorter videos.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 23 Mar 2020 at 3:19pm
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:02am
The Social Dilemma in Netflix. Everybody should watch this and it should be shown in schools, absolutely brilliant. Shows how much social media has f**ked up the world and is only getting worse. Also very informative on fake news and how people might be targeted with far-right agendas and people divided more than ever which is clearly a very big problem here and everywhere at the moment. Have turned off notifications for all my apps since watching it and find I’m on my phone much less. 10/10 from me. 
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 11:04am
Originally posted by The White Cafu The White Cafu wrote:

The Social Dilemma in Netflix. Everybody should watch this and it should be shown in schools, absolutely brilliant. Shows how much social media has f**ked up the world and is only getting worse. Also very informative on fake news and how people might be targeted with far-right agendas and people divided more than ever which is clearly a very big problem here and everywhere at the moment. Have turned off notifications for all my apps since watching it and find I’m on my phone much less. 10/10 from me. 

Just mentioned this in the far right thread. Excellent doc. Second viewing later today 
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 12:03pm

Ironic.
theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:23pm

Very good doc. We’re all way too dependent on technology these days. As I deal with tech problems on day to day basis. The fear and tantrums people get when their phones are broken is scary. At least 2-3 times a day in work I will hear ‘ I can’t be without my phone’. ‘ My phone is important to me’ Etc. 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

Very good doc. We’re all way too dependent on technology these days. As I deal with tech problems on day to day basis. The fear and tantrums people get when their phones are broken is scary. At least 2-3 times a day in work I will hear ‘ I can’t be without my phone’. ‘ My phone is important to me’ Etc. 

I'm glad I resisted the urge to follow the crowd and join twitter/facebook/instagram in the past.

A pal of mine went through quite a nasty episode of depression a couple of years back when he had an argument with some horrible wee **** on twitter who then spent the next few months going after my mate, trying to get him sacked from his work etc. Absolute scum. Angry

Thankfully we got it sorted and he's alright again. Thumbs Up
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Originally posted by theheff1989 theheff1989 wrote:

I'm glad I resisted the urge to follow the crowd and join twitter/facebook/instagram in the past.

A pal of mine went through quite a nasty episode of depression a couple of years back when he had an argument with some horrible wee **** on twitter who then spent the next few months going after my mate, trying to get him sacked from his work etc. Absolute scum. Angry

Thankfully we got it sorted and he's alright again. Thumbs Up
These days I open up Twitter, see someone being a vile ****, usually Farage, and I then exit Twitter. Seeing how vile people are, all the f**king time, isn't good for you.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2020 at 7:11pm
If not mentioned already the BBCs once upon a time in iraq is one for the ages. Superb production and tells the story of one of the most disgusting acts of destruction in history. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 2:35am
Anyone know where to watch Unquiet Graves on the web for free?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 9:28am
RTE player?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 1:54am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

RTE player?

Not on there.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:34pm

They should in their f**k! It was someone else's turn to choose and they won't be allowed to forget it in a hurry. 
Abysmal. How did this get so much traction? This was so badly put together that I lost interest almost immediately. A mix of badly put together interviews interspersed with ham acting and real action clips and cartoons. A very good transition year project, a terrible film/documentary/drama/whatever the f**k it is. It was an open goal too, given it is such an easy subject. 
1/10

Edited by pre Madonna - 12 Mar 2021 at 9:35pm
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2021 at 10:26pm
LOLLOL

I watched hand on a hardbody last week, one of the best docs I’ve ever watched, but then again I say that about every documentary after I watch it LOL
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 10:09am
anyone ever watched this:

This guy got a job onboard a ship to bring beer to his mates in Vietnam 
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 6:38pm
Louis T has a new Tiger King doc on bbc 2 tonight at 9pm.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:21pm
watched a fascinating doc on BBC4 recently, called Collective - Unravelling a Scandal. About widespread corruption at the heart of Romanian health system. Following a fire at a music venue which killed 27 people, a further 37 victims of the fire died in hospital, not as a result of the fire but from getting infections picked up in the hospital. It turned out that the company who supplied the disinfectants to the hospital (and other hospitals) had  diluted the disinfectants by 10 times more than they should have which was complicit in the deaths of patients. That's only the start of it, the level of corruption was astounding. It was actually a sports paper that broke the story....
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 7:34pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

watched a fascinating doc on BBC4 recently, called Collective - Unravelling a Scandal. About widespread corruption at the heart of Romanian health system. Following a fire at a music venue which killed 27 people, a further 37 victims of the fire died in hospital, not as a result of the fire but from getting infections picked up in the hospital. It turned out that the company who supplied the disinfectants to the hospital (and other hospitals) had  diluted the disinfectants by 10 times more than they should have which was complicit in the deaths of patients. That's only the start of it, the level of corruption was astounding. It was actually a sports paper that broke the story....

Aye thought it looked decent but haven’t got around to watching it 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1718192021>
  Share Topic