You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Documentaries on the web

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by deco911 deco911 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

The War - starts on Tuesday 14 parter on PBS America about America in ww2

Made by ken burns so should be good - his 5 part prohibition one is excellent halfway through it

That on YouTube?
It's on Netflix, although I haven't got to it yet. I assume the WW2 one will be released on the same platform when finished?
The Vietnam one was a cracker, with a soundtrack to match.Clap
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Made by ken burns so should be good - his 5 part prohibition one is excellent halfway through it

That on YouTube?
t
It's on Netflix, although I haven't got to it yet. I assume the WW2 one will be released on the same platform when finished?

Yeah the Vietnam one was excellent
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 7:24pm

That on YouTube?
t

I tried looking for this today. The version available on YouTube seems to be a Vietnamese version.That's fine for the English speaking parts with subtitles but they don't put up subtitles obviously for the Vietnamese speakers. Just wondering is that the version you guys watched or is it available online in the American PBS version?
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by whitesideOnside whitesideOnside wrote:

That on YouTube?
t

I tried looking for this today. The version available on YouTube seems to be a Vietnamese version.That's fine for the English speaking parts with subtitles but they don't put up subtitles obviously for the Vietnamese speakers. Just wondering is that the version you guys watched or is it available online in the American PBS version?

WO

The Vietnam one was on bbc4 on a sat night or Friday keep an eye on iPlayer as it was on it but may return

The prohibition and the war one was is on pbs America
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:15pm

Edited by whitesideOnside - 04 Mar 2018 at 9:17pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2018 at 9:16pm

That on YouTube?
t

WO

The Vietnam one was on bbc4 on a sat night or Friday keep an eye on iPlayer as it was on it but may return

Thanks
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2018 at 8:24pm

That on YouTube?
t

WO

Thanks

the prohibition one is on you tube - Pete Hamill is a contributer his parents were from Belfast
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:42pm
Started on 14 hour Doc on Roosevelts also made by Ken Burns. Very interesting and as usual well put together. I think the narrator makes these wonderful too as does the actors that do the quotes like Jeremy Irons or Paul Giamatti
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:48pm

Started on 14 hour Doc on Roosevelts also made by Ken Burns. Very interesting and as usual well put together. I think the narrator makes these wonderful too as does the actors that do the quotes like Jeremy Irons or Paul Giamatti
Where is this available?
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 12:54pm

Where is this available?

PM sent
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:27pm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8-CcUJDNY
Came across this on youtube, looks like it is from the 70's or so. It is very good and the sole survivor gives a first hand account.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pC8-CcUJDNY
Came across this on youtube, looks like it is from the 70's or so. It is very good and the sole survivor gives a first hand account.

Also a brilliant documentary and happened not too far away from me.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 2:20pm
Cheers for that.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 2:33pm
dont know if its been mentioned here but AlphaGo - a documentary about the Google AI taking on the world's best Go player a couple years back - is on Netflix and is a compelling watch
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 4:23pm
What is 'Go' ?
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2018 at 10:24pm

What is 'Go' ?

It's a game from east Asia similar to chess in terms of it being a strategy game, but its about 'boxing off' territory against another player with stones. Really simple in theory but gets complex when its played. The number of different possible moves in a game is more than the number of atoms in the universe, so they thought that AI was years or decades behind being able to master it!

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 06 Mar 2018 at 10:25pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 12:14am

Are any of Ken Burns' documentaries any less boring than his one on the US Civil War?

I watched the first episode of that series about a year ago. I found it excruciating. I didn't bother going on to episode 2. 

I find that in general, the Brits are infinitely better at making documentaries than the Yanks. 

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2018 at 8:26am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Are any of Ken Burns' documentaries any less boring than his one on the US Civil War?

I watched the first episode of that series about a year ago. I found it excruciating. I didn't bother going on to episode 2. 

I find that in general, the Brits are infinitely better at making documentaries than the Yanks. 

Eh ? His civil war one was excellent
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 21>
  Share Topic