You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do we want the first leg to be home or away?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

I love points

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote raclle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:26pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Defo home first. We are usually awful at home these days. Much better off to be away second leg, be written off after the uninspiring first leg home performance and then pull something out of the bag miraculously away from home. 

Agreed I would take a 0-0 at home now knowing that the other tram would basically have to beat us to go through. I think away goals could be our best route to qualify

The luas has speed on its side though. Even though it's a little inconsistent, I wouldn't fancy our chances to be honest. Whether they played the home leg on the red line or the green line, (the new line won't be ready on time for the match) we can expect a tough game.
Bit of reverse psychology here but since our away form has been better playing away first better option.
Sponsored Links

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:36pm
Home first. We're better away. If it goes according to plan these will be two very low scoring affairs so extra time is a very real possibility and we'd want the away goals advantage there.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:27am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Traditionally, the first leg away from home is seen as an advantage.

But with our setup of only attacking when we need to score, being at home first would give us more time attacking away from home where away goals count double.
The possibility of extra time would add to this argument.

For example, defend the first leg and it finishes goalless. Second leg we fall one behind - at home we need to score twice when we finally decide to attack, away one goal sends us through.

What do other ybiggers think?

I can see both sides to this post. If you asked me though - gun to my head I think play away first. Worked for Bosnia, Estonia and Iran. Albeit weaker teams. I think we could will try keep it tight regardless because the quality of the 4 teams are better than some of the Euro playoffs. Probably be 0-0 away. Then try win 1-0 at the Aviva. Both games will be cagey affairs. Not like we will actually go for any of these teams. Say we drew Croatia. Kept it very tight, 0-0. Their fans would be going crazy. They would under HUGE pressure coming to Dublin. We would again keep it tight for at least an hour and then try nick it. I could see definitely see that working. 

Other question is this - have we got lucky too many times? I believe anyways and I'm sure the players do. I'd imagine as soon as the draw is made the DOOM & GLOOM brigade will be out. 

We were home to Iran first. 

Apologies - couldn't remember and couldn't be arsed googling it 

You are almost as lazy as Ashley Williams

I'm sorry Trap
GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 10:56am
It is a very strange one to be fair, if it were any other team, I'd say a second leg at home would be advantageous but in our case I'd imagine an second leg away would suit us better.

I'd even go as far as saying that I'd be a firm believer that if the fixtures were reversed and Wales came to Dublin this month, we wouldn't be in today's draw.

My prediction of the two outcomes:

1)Away first, Home second: We go abroad, try to defend a draw and hopefully against the odds nick a goal. In reality with the four possible teams that we could draw (maybe not Denmark), we end up conceding.

We go into the second leg needing a goal, our home form is dire and a single goal from the opposition will all but put us out.

2) Home first, Away second: Same game plan different mindset. If theres one thing we're alright at it seems to be drawing important games at home, would be a tough watch but I could see us coming out of the first leg with at least a draw against any of the four teams (strangely enough Croatia would be my biggest worry rather than Italy). A tough watch but exactly what we need all the same.

We go into the away leg either needing a goal or needing to hold on with the possibility of a devastating goal, our away record has been good (especially in important games) and would it wouldn't be out of character for us to nick one. The game will show no real gameplan but more of a hearty individual performances similar to Wales.

BUT all of this means very little and is just a concept until 2pm today.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Unbeaten away from home and beat both Austria and Wales whilst being beaten at home once by Serbia and drawing the other 2 games against the top seeds. We have been shocking at home. Far far better away but thats the type of football we play it suits being away. Worst case scenario for me is Croatia away first.

Maybe it does, but it also suited us with the last coach in charge as well, setting new records and against far better sides than Wales and Austria, and all he got for it was begrudgery at best and complete condemnation at worst.

In the European Cup, teams that win the group get the second leg of their second round tie at home. The vast majority of them take advantage of it and go through to the quarter finals. Having the second leg at home in any cup tie is, a good chance to either rescue a tie after a poor away leg, or in the case of winning 4-0 away, a formality in front of thousands of your own fans.

Hierro did Keane a favour in 93 by heading that ball in against them to send us to the World Cup. Today, he did him another favour by handing us a second leg home tie against them, to help send us to the World Cup. Uncanny.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2017 at 11:29pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Unbeaten away from home and beat both Austria and Wales whilst being beaten at home once by Serbia and drawing the other 2 games against the top seeds. We have been shocking at home. Far far better away but thats the type of football we play it suits being away. Worst case scenario for me is Croatia away first.

Maybe it does, but it also suited us with the last coach in charge as well, setting new records and against far better sides than Wales and Austria, and all he got for it was begrudgery at best and complete condemnation at worst.

In the European Cup, teams that win the group get the second leg of their second round tie at home. The vast majority of them take advantage of it and go through to the quarter finals. Having the second leg at home in any cup tie is, a good chance to either rescue a tie after a poor away leg, or in the case of winning 4-0 away, a formality in front of thousands of your own fans.

Hierro did Keane a favour in 93 by heading that ball in against them to send us to the World Cup. Today, he did him another favour by handing us a second leg home tie against them, to help send us to the World Cup. Uncanny.

LOL LOL
Out of interest, who under the previous manager did we beat that's better than Wales and Austria? No spin or anything, just a team name will do fine.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic