You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do we want the first leg to be home or away?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Traditionally, the first leg away from home is seen as an advantage.

But with our setup of only attacking when we need to score, being at home first would give us more time attacking away from home where away goals count double.
The possibility of extra time would add to this argument.

For example, defend the first leg and it finishes goalless. Second leg we fall one behind - at home we need to score twice when we finally decide to attack, away one goal sends us through.

What do other ybiggers think?

I can see both sides to this post. If you asked me though - gun to my head I think play away first. Worked for Bosnia, Estonia and Iran. Albeit weaker teams. I think we could will try keep it tight regardless because the quality of the 4 teams are better than some of the Euro playoffs. Probably be 0-0 away. Then try win 1-0 at the Aviva. Both games will be cagey affairs. Not like we will actually go for any of these teams. Say we drew Croatia. Kept it very tight, 0-0. Their fans would be going crazy. They would under HUGE pressure coming to Dublin. We would again keep it tight for at least an hour and then try nick it. I could see definitely see that working. 

Other question is this - have we got lucky too many times? I believe anyways and I'm sure the players do. I'd imagine as soon as the draw is made the DOOM & GLOOM brigade will be out. 

We were home to Iran first. 

Apologies - couldn't remember and couldn't be arsed googling it 

You are almost as lazy as Ashley Williams
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by flaghunter flaghunter wrote:

Traditionally, the first leg away from home is seen as an advantage.

But with our setup of only attacking when we need to score, being at home first would give us more time attacking away from home where away goals count double.
The possibility of extra time would add to this argument.

For example, defend the first leg and it finishes goalless. Second leg we fall one behind - at home we need to score twice when we finally decide to attack, away one goal sends us through.

What do other ybiggers think?

I can see both sides to this post. If you asked me though - gun to my head I think play away first. Worked for Bosnia, Estonia and Iran. Albeit weaker teams. I think we could will try keep it tight regardless because the quality of the 4 teams are better than some of the Euro playoffs. Probably be 0-0 away. Then try win 1-0 at the Aviva. Both games will be cagey affairs. Not like we will actually go for any of these teams. Say we drew Croatia. Kept it very tight, 0-0. Their fans would be going crazy. They would under HUGE pressure coming to Dublin. We would again keep it tight for at least an hour and then try nick it. I could see definitely see that working. 

Other question is this - have we got lucky too many times? I believe anyways and I'm sure the players do. I'd imagine as soon as the draw is made the DOOM & GLOOM brigade will be out. 

We were home to Iran first. 

Apologies - couldn't remember and couldn't be arsed googling it 

You are almost as lazy as Ashley Williams

Anyway, I think we'd be better off at home 1st - keep a clean sheet at home and head over to the away leg not having to worry about conceding a costly away goal and maybe do a 'Cardiff' - and put all the pressure on the other team to find 2 goals.

Sure, the idea of a noisy home crowd for the 2nd leg (especially if it goes the distance) would be great but it's only really useful if we can get goals, which unfortunately is our weakness atm. if we were to concede an away goal we'd be goosed, having to find 2 goals when we're struggling just to get 1.

Edited by ConorMac77 - 16 Oct 2017 at 6:56pm
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Trapped View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Coat hangar expert

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trapped Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 7:07pm
Defo home first. We are usually awful at home these days. Much better off to be away second leg, be written off after the uninspiring first leg home performance and then pull something out of the bag miraculously away from home. 
67% points to games ratio at the last Euro's (better than Portugal's)
baresi41 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baresi41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:11pm
Away first. We've proved to be a better team away in this campaign. Away result including a goal is vital. Bosnia proved the point. We need to aggresive at home, but our manager only did that for the Serbia game.
FRANCO BARESI: Always supporting the green brigade
moanermufc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moanermufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:21pm
Conflicted, I feel it would suit us better to play away 2nd, but I wouldn't be able to fly home and back for the home leg on the Thursday with an exam on Friday morning Dead LOL
SportingRizzlaCF View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizzlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by moanermufc moanermufc wrote:

Conflicted, I feel it would suit us better to play away 2nd, but I wouldn't be able to fly home and back for the home leg on the Thursday with an exam on Friday morning Dead LOL

Home leg first. If your education was doing you any good you would have had the foresight to know that any course planning exams around WC play-offs was a non-starter.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moanermufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by SportingRizzlaCF SportingRizzlaCF wrote:

Home leg first. If your education was doing you any good you would have had the foresight to know that any course planning exams around WC play-offs was a non-starter.

The Dutch are just jealous that they've failed to get anywhere, so they're punishing the rest of us! LOL
SportingRizzlaCF View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SportingRizzlaCF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:06pm

The Dutch are just jealous that they've failed to get anywhere, so they're punishing the rest of us! LOL

All I’m saying is you’ve never had a problem getting home for the All Ireland and glory fixtures against Oman
Seamus Coleman is Sligo ONLY
The Green Werewolf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Green Werewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 9:42pm
Depends on who we get

Tournament heavyweights like Italy id prefer to play away first. will never forget leaving Crocker after France in 09 and travelling to Paris thinking of the mountain we had to climb after Anelkas deflected goal, it's a pity we came up short after the spirited performance in the away leg and cheated out. But that's in the past..

I want Swiss or Danes and to play either away first and bully them the same way as Bosnia double header panned out. This is the most viable scenario imo.
Away days brighten the North Stand, Our football friends from foreign lands. They'd nudge eachother with their hands - "Wow these really are the worlds best fans"
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:07pm
Would always want to be away first but in a strange campaign we have been much better away from home. On that basis home first- 0-0 draw likely then go for a 1-1 away.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Away first. We've proved to be a better team away in this campaign. Away result including a goal is vital. Bosnia proved the point.

This campaign:

Georgia(a), Serbia(a)

Last campaign:

Georgia(a), Scotland(a), Poland (a)

All either crap results and/or crap performances. With no Hoolahan.

We haven't been much better away from home. Winning in Wales against Barnsley and Bristol Rovers finest is one thing. Winning in Italy/Zagreb against world class players is something else.

Go away first, hoof and hack our way to a 0-0. Nick a goal at home in the last 10 minutes off a 40 yard agricultural hoof, Party Time.
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by baresi41 baresi41 wrote:

Away first. We've proved to be a better team away in this campaign. Away result including a goal is vital. Bosnia proved the point.

This campaign:

Georgia(a), Serbia(a)

Last campaign:

Georgia(a), Scotland(a), Poland (a)

All either crap results and/or crap performances. With no Hoolahan.

We haven't been much better away from home. Winning in Wales against Barnsley and Bristol Rovers finest is one thing. Winning in Italy/Zagreb against world class players is something else.

Go away first, hoof and hack our way to a 0-0. Nick a goal at home in the last 10 minutes off a 40 yard agricultural hoof, Party Time.

Unbeaten away from home and beat both Austria and Wales whilst being beaten at home once by Serbia and drawing the other 2 games against the top seeds. We have been shocking at home. Far far better away but thats the type of football we play it suits being away. Worst case scenario for me is Croatia away first.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 16 Oct 2017 at 10:18pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
donegalcelt View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote donegalcelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 10:42pm
When O'Neill brought Celtic to 2003 Uefa Cup final they played at home first in every single round:

2002/03 Uefa Cup

FK Suduva (h) 8-1 (a) 2-0
Blackburn (h) 1-0 (a) 2-0
Celta Vigo (h) 1-0 (a) 1-2
Stuttgart (h) 3-1 (a) 2-3
Liverpool (h) 1-1 (a) 2-0
Boavista (h) 1-1 (a) 1-0
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:09pm
It not as important as some make out. Have to do the business in both legs anyway. Playing away 1st in our last 2 playoffs worked out good for us but the opposition were a lot weaker than what we could potentially draw tomorrow 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by donegalcelt donegalcelt wrote:

When O'Neill brought Celtic to 2003 Uefa Cup final they played at home first in every single round:

2002/03 Uefa Cup

FK Suduva (h) 8-1 (a) 2-0
Blackburn (h) 1-0 (a) 2-0
Celta Vigo (h) 1-0 (a) 1-2
Stuttgart (h) 3-1 (a) 2-3
Liverpool (h) 1-1 (a) 2-0
Boavista (h) 1-1 (a) 1-0
We are Ireland not Celtic and O Neill took us to France last summer after playing the 1st leg of the playoff away so I dont really get your point 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Defo home first. We are usually awful at home these days. Much better off to be away second leg, be written off after the uninspiring first leg home performance and then pull something out of the bag miraculously away from home. 

Agreed I would take a 0-0 at home now knowing that the other tram would basically have to beat us to go through. I think away goals could be our best route to qualify
AKA pedantic kunt
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by Trapped Trapped wrote:

Agreed I would take a 0-0 at home now knowing that the other tram would basically have to beat us to go through. I think away goals could be our best route to qualify

The luas has speed on its side though. Even though it's a little inconsistent, I wouldn't fancy our chances to be honest. Whether they played the home leg on the red line or the green line, (the new line won't be ready on time for the match) we can expect a tough game.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moanermufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 11:26pm

All I’m saying is you’ve never had a problem getting home for the All Ireland and glory fixtures against Oman

Ah forking out for those flights for the first ‘glory fixture’ since moving against Iceland was always a great decision   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic