You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do we want the first leg to be home or away?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do we want the first leg to be home or away?
    Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:15pm
Traditionally, the first leg away from home is seen as an advantage.

But with our setup of only attacking when we need to score, being at home first would give us more time attacking away from home where away goals count double.
The possibility of extra time would add to this argument.

For example, defend the first leg and it finishes goalless. Second leg we fall one behind - at home we need to score twice when we finally decide to attack, away one goal sends us through.

What do other ybiggers think?
Sponsored Links

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:19pm
Home first leg suits how we approach games. I wouldn't want to be chasing a goal down at home or defending an advantage from a first leg draw / lead.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:22pm
I prefer home first so less likely to lose on away goals if it goes to extra time.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:25pm
I hope for home first we've been dreadful at Lansdowne all campaign apart from a spirited improvement against Serbia. Wins against Austria, Wales and Moldova and unlucky in Belgrade to concede a terrible penalty with just the one poor result in Georgia and to take 11 points out of a possible 15 on the road is nothing short of phenomenal when you compare other campaigns . I'm hoping and predicting for 0-0 at home first and score draw away from home. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:35pm
Yep, think we'd be much better suited to be at home first leg.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:37pm
1997: 1st Leg (h) Out
1999: 1st Leg (h) Out
2009: 1st Leg (h) Out

2011: 1st Leg (a) Won 4-0
2015: 1st Leg (a) Won.

I prefer to be away first. Go away and get a result, bring it home and finish the job, on our own pitch, to celebrate in front of our own fans.

Edited by planning - 16 Oct 2017 at 1:38pm
VAR: Cutting the crap out of football.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:38pm
Where’s the poll?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:39pm
2001: 1st Leg (h) Won 2-0.

The 1966 one was a one off.
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:45pm
Unsure how to edit it to add a poll.
One of the mods can set one up for me Big smile
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:46pm
Agree with Planning and you also have an extra half hour in front of your own fans if it goes to extra time and penalties. 

It's vital we get an away goal whether we're home or away first as I think it'll be needed as we're simply struggle to score goals. 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
valo88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote valo88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

I prefer to be away first. Go away and get a result, bring it home and finish the job, on our own pitch, to celebrate in front of our own fans.

Only going by the past 14 months, theres absolutely nothing to indicate we can see out a game at home.

Our home form has been atrocious.

Id rather we slug through the home game first, and then know exactly what we need to do to see it off away.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:55pm
A lot of this team have experienced play-off success before so we need to be positive.

We should be looking to go away first knowing what is then required at home. The possibility of ET/Peno's is also an extra advantage to have the 2nd leg at home.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

A lot of this team have experienced play-off success before so we need to be positive.

We should be looking to go away first knowing what is then required at home. The possibility of ET/Peno's is also an extra advantage to have the 2nd leg at home.

No it's not. Away team has extra 30 minutes to score an away goal. ET being at home is a major disadvantage.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 1:59pm

Unless you concede an way goal in extra time......
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:01pm
The trouble is, if you don't win the first leg at home, or worse lose it, then it makes the task twice as difficult in the away leg. You really have to win the first leg if it's at home, to progress.

At least if you lose the away leg first, then you have the second leg at home with all that home support, to help drive you on and do something about it.
The Green Werewolf View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Green Werewolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

1st leg 2015 was a draw.
Away days brighten the North Stand, Our football friends from foreign lands. They'd nudge eachother with their hands - "Wow these really are the worlds best fans"
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

No it's not. Away team has extra 30 minutes to score an away goal. ET being at home is a major disadvantage.

I know away goals are always the danger if we concede them at home, but it's far better to be at home if it gets to penalties and the crowd behind you. Apart from Italy, there's a very good chance some of these playoffs may well go into extra time.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
flaghunter View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flaghunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2017 at 2:12pm
You are generalizing though planning.

My opening post mentioned that traditionally being away first is seen as advantageous.
This is specifically about this two-legged play off tie, where with how we are set up would probably suggest the opposite.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic