You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do it For Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Without wanting to embarrass pM he is great craic to go for a pint with.

I think the only slight difference of opinion we had  was when we were drinking in a a pub in London before a Crystal Palace v Sunderland match was about Dublin  and that was no great surprise.

Your friend was a bit unsure about my rather forthright views on the poppy though!LOL

Feck him.

Big smileBig smileBig smile
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

That was genuine, I certainly didn't assume negativity. 

To quote the Bible, I think it's Ecclesiastes, to be exact: 'all is vain'.

There's undoubtedly an element of narcissism in it, the debate is whether he would view that as more or less important than the cause and only he can  really know that. Given that you can vouch for him, I am willing to accept that. 
I am, as you probably gathered, naturally cynical an d I often feel people want to do something and then attach a cause, rather than the other way around. I suppose this is most in relation to people who want you to sponsor their holidays in the name of 'charadee'. Feel free to climb Kilimanjaro if you want, but don't bother me  about it or expect me to believe it is anything other than a vain holiday!
My political views leave me cynical of most charity anyway, but this is unquestionably one of the times I would encourage it. I will probably throw a few pound in myself,  I also  understand that saying it is a bit vain in itself, but it is before my curiosity is misinterpreted by others. 
Maybe it is more a criticism of society than the man himself, that even when it is a cause that deserves to be on a pedestal we still need more to support it.

I look forward to a pint with ya at some stage.Thumbs Up

Likewise. Thumbs Up Am fairly cynical myself. 

Some might say your desire for the last word in every discussion I've seen you involved in on here is the very definition of narcissism. Wink

* This post may have been influenced by your exchange with Hat-field  earlier this week. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:58pm
I have never claimed not be narcissistic. We all are and I fall foul regularly; often for good reasons and often merely to prove a point to myself. That's the worst kind of vanity.  
In saying that, despite how it might appear in a virtual world, I despise being the centre of attention, and struggle with those that love it unnecessarily.

I have very little in common with Het-field, but I enjoy him on here more than most. I'm sure if I ever get around to having a beer with him or common ground of football will make it a pleasure...LOL
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 8:29pm
Using coynes logic that it's difficult shoving a coke bottle up your arse I am sure is difficult but the scientist hasnt confirmed or denied it yet.  Would that qualify using the difficulty argument.  

Anyway let's hope they raise they money for the little lad. Great cause 

Edited by Baldrick - 24 Apr 2020 at 8:35pm
AKA pedantic kunt
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Using coynes logic that it's difficult shoving a coke bottle up your arse I am sure is difficult but the scientist hasnt confirmed or denied if yet.  Would that qualify using the difficulty argument.  

ConfusedEmbarrassed
Greenlad11 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenlad11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 8:54pm
Back to the threads name anyways 
WackoWacko

Over €1.7 million raised as of now , the target will probably be reached over the weekend hopefully.

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 8:59pm
Originally posted by Greenlad11 Greenlad11 wrote:

Back to the threads name anyways 
WackoWacko

Over €1.7 million raised as of now , the target will probably be reached over the weekend hopefully.

That's brilliant going.

Cool
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2020 at 7:25am
Ray Moylette did the same challenge last week on OTB am. Raised over 11k for Pieta House and HSE frontline staff. In his article, Verney cites Moylette as the inspiration for the particular challenge.

As for the challenge itself (which reinforces the point PM is making, but in case any one is curious) I think Moylette reached just over 960 in the hour. He had said before hand that he was aiming for roughly 17 press ups per minute.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:09am
They announced on Friday that they will have reached their target after all the events that were going to be done over the weekend are completed. Unbelievably raised €2m in 49 days, the second million coming in just over a week. Hopefully the treatment does the job for young Dan now, whenever it is he can get to fly to the US to get it
Some people just deserve a slap
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2020 at 10:11am
It was a serious amount of fundraising and with every GAA club getting involved there are very few people in Laois who didn't donate something. They were probably fortunate that the fundraising drive happened when everyone is at home and on social media all day but it is an unbelievable achievement
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic