You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Do it For Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Do it For Dan
    Posted: 23 Apr 2020 at 6:41pm
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 10:24am
Great gesture & Coleman's given €15k aswell. Coleman & his wife actually rang the parents and had a chat for a while about things and he offered to send over signed boots/jerseys etc if they needed them for auction. They also had a virtual LipSync last Saturday night and raised near €90k. The funds gone from under €1m to over €1.5m since the weekend. Its getting great exposure by inter county gaa players & the parents were on RTE News the other night. 

An impossible looking task of trying to raise €2m to save their child could now possibly be reached over the next couple of weeks which is amazing

Edit: Parents are Niall & Aisling Donoher (Quigley), both former Laois players
Link's here if anyone can spare a few bob http://ie.gofundme.com/f/1x3knoyjlc

Edited by Croftman - 24 Apr 2020 at 10:27am
Some people just deserve a slap
Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 10:36am
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Great gesture & Coleman's given €15k aswell. Coleman & his wife actually rang the parents and had a chat for a while about things and he offered to send over signed boots/jerseys etc if they needed them for auction. They also had a virtual LipSync last Saturday night and raised near €90k. The funds gone from under €1m to over €1.5m since the weekend. Its getting great exposure by inter county gaa players & the parents were on RTE News the other night. 

An impossible looking task of trying to raise €2m to save their child could now possibly be reached over the next couple of weeks which is amazing

Edit: Parents are Niall & Aisling Donoher (Quigley), both former Laois players
Link's here if anyone can spare a few bob http://ie.gofundme.com/f/1x3knoyjlc

Great to hear that.

I first heard about it on off the ball earlier in the week and they were talking to boxer Eric Donovan who is doing a five hour skip to raise money for Dan.
Good to hear Bernard Brogan making a large donation too.
familyguy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote familyguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:25am
I’d do the mother ......just saying 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 11:58am
Originally posted by familyguy familyguy wrote:

I’d do the mother ......just saying 

You could get sponsored.

Big smileBig smileBig smile
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 2:25pm
Indo journo and ex-Offaly hurler Michael Verney is attempting 1,000 press ups in an hour in aid of the PPE fund and for Do it For Dan. Worked with Verney over the last couple of years and he's a bang on bloke. Any donations welcome.

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 3:49pm
1000 press ups in an hour is serious going. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:45pm
It is a tremendous cause, so please don't misinterpret this, but why is he doing a 1000 press-ups? Is the cause itself not worthy enough? Maybe my mentality is off, but I can never understand why people need to do something to raise awareness, surely it undermines the cause as much as it supports it. 
If this lad is well known in GAA circles and has a newspaper column, surely there are better ways to raise awareness and money?

This is genuine curiosity too, before somebody gets all upset about it.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 4:51pm
Are you underestimating how hard 1000 press ups is.

The bigger your pectorals andtriceps the easier it is but even a well conditioned man would tire after 100 never mind 1000.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Are you underestimating how hard 1000 press ups is.

The bigger your pectorals andtriceps the easier it is but even a well conditioned man would tire after 100 never mind 1000.
No, because I couldn't care! But you are confirming why I asked the question. It feels like it is more about some fella's ability to do such a feat than the actual cause in question. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:06pm
So you’re saying he’s doing it to show off?

I’m not sure about that. It’s how you look at it I guess.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It is a tremendous cause, so please don't misinterpret this, but why is he doing a 1000 press-ups? Is the cause itself not worthy enough? Maybe my mentality is off, but I can never understand why people need to do something to raise awareness, surely it undermines the cause as much as it supports it. 
If this lad is well known in GAA circles and has a newspaper column, surely there are better ways to raise awareness and money?

Because people want to challenge themselves rather than just putting their hand out and others will be interested l in seeing that challenge. Why do we watch 22 men kick a bag of wind around a field?   

Genuinely no offence but your own viewpoint on a lot of general things would be unique enough judging by your posts on here. Not suggesting there's anything wrong with that for a second, just an observation. Think he's close to 6k raised, would guarantee he wouldn't have got close to that if he'd just asked for cash in a column. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Because people want to challenge themselves rather than just putting their hand out and others will be interested l in seeing that challenge. Why do we watch 22 men kick a bag of wind around a field?   

Genuinely no offence but your own viewpoint on a lot of general things would be unique enough judging by your posts on here. Not suggesting there's anything wrong with that for a second, just an observation. Think he's close to 6k raised, would guarantee he wouldn't have got close to that if he'd just asked for cash in a column. 
Fair enough. It just seems people's reactions to it are ' that's quite difficult' rather than the actual cause.
I haven't a notion what watching football has to do with it! If he wants to do a 1000 press-ups or dress-ups, that's his own business. I would be sceptical that there wasn't a better way for him to do it, but that's his own business.

By the way, I consider it a compliment for my views to be considered unique. Everybody should have unique views. That isn't to say they can't be broadly similar, but when they are exactly the same not only is it boring but shows an inability to interpret things for themselves. So thanks, I suppose.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

So you’re saying he’s doing it to show off?

I’m not sure about that. It’s how you look at it I guess.
There is unquestionably a level of narcissism involved, even if meant in the best possible way.

Anyway, I hope the lad gets all the help he needs Thumbs Up
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:01pm

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Fair enough. It just seems people's reactions to it are ' that's quite difficult' rather than the actual cause.
I haven't a notion what watching football has to do with it! If he wants to do a 1000 press-ups or dress-ups, that's his own business. I would be sceptical that there wasn't a better way for him to do it, but that's his own business.

By the way, I consider it a compliment for my views to be considered unique. Everybody should have unique views. That isn't to say they can't be broadly similar, but when they are exactly the same not only is it boring but shows an inability to interpret things for themselves. So thanks, I suppose.

So you should, it wasn't meant as any sort of insult. I doubt I'm the only one who thinks that of your online persona though. Never met you so can't say if it's any different in the real world. Think I'd enjoy chatting in person. 

People setting themselves physical challenges isn't anything I'd consider unusual. What football has to do with it is simply showing how pointless any of these things are when you break it down. He's doing something to raise money for a good cause and it's something that can be done in his gaff in what are unprecedented times. Fair dues to him. I know the lad and he's as far from narcissistic as you can get. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:18pm
That was genuine, I certainly didn't assume negativity. 

To quote the Bible, I think it's Ecclesiastes, to be exact: 'all is vain'.

There's undoubtedly an element of narcissism in it, the debate is whether he would view that as more or less important than the cause and only he can  really know that. Given that you can vouch for him, I am willing to accept that. 
I am, as you probably gathered, naturally cynical an d I often feel people want to do something and then attach a cause, rather than the other way around. I suppose this is most in relation to people who want you to sponsor their holidays in the name of 'charadee'. Feel free to climb Kilimanjaro if you want, but don't bother me  about it or expect me to believe it is anything other than a vain holiday!
My political views leave me cynical of most charity anyway, but this is unquestionably one of the times I would encourage it. I will probably throw a few pound in myself,  I also  understand that saying it is a bit vain in itself, but it is before my curiosity is misinterpreted by others. 
Maybe it is more a criticism of society than the man himself, that even when it is a cause that deserves to be on a pedestal we still need more to support it.

I look forward to a pint with ya at some stage.Thumbs Up

Edited by pre Madonna - 24 Apr 2020 at 7:19pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:26pm
Without wanting to embarrass pM he is great craic to go for a pint with.

I think the only  difference of opinion we had  was when we were drinking in a  pub in London before a Crystal Palace v Sunderland match  it was about Dublin and that was no great surprise.

Big smile

Edited by Double Maxim - 24 Apr 2020 at 7:28pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2020 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Double Maxim Double Maxim wrote:

Without wanting to embarrass pM he is great craic to go for a pint with.

I think the only slight difference of opinion we had  was when we were drinking in a a pub in London before a Crystal Palace v Sunderland match was about Dublin  and that was no great surprise.

Big smile
Your friend was a bit unsure about my rather forthright views on the poppy though!LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic