You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diego Maradona - 1986

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

There's no way either would have survived at the elite level in the time of the other. Messi would have been kicked out of the game before leaving Argentina and Maradona would have ended up like Antonio Cassano (that's an exaggeration but not much tbh). At best, Maradona might have ended up like Neymar but he probably wouldn't have reached that level with his issues.

Cassano should have been the real deal.

Footballs greatest under achiever after Keith O'Neill......
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2020 at 5:46pm
Brilliant show this was
Just finished it today

I never knew all that about the Argentina v Italy World Cup semi final in 1990
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:30pm
Have just gotten round to watching this documentary. I'm only 14 minutes in and I'm blown away by it already. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Have just gotten round to watching this documentary. I'm only 14 minutes in and I'm blown away by it already. 

But still have time to post here.Ouch
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:24pm
Doc on netflix is worth a watch too.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

But still have time to post here.Ouch

LOL
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:02am
Great track from the intro

Makes me want to drive around Naples in a Fiat Uno in 1984

Edited by sid waddell - 20 May 2020 at 12:03am
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:03am
Originally posted by sid waddell sid waddell wrote:

Great track from the intro

Cracker of a tune Clap
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 12:06am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Brilliant show this was
Just finished it today

I never knew all that about the Argentina v Italy World Cup semi final in 1990
Just wait until you hear Socrates played for UCD*.

*He may also have played for Shelbourne Reserves.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:21am
Brilliant documentary but I'm a bit disappointed how it ended after playing days in Italy. Thought there might've been a bit more to cover the next few years (U.S. world cup when he was expelled maybe?)

I always wished I was older during Euro 88/Italia 90 when you could truly appreciate how big it was for the country when our football team did well but after watching that documentary, it would've been unbelievable to be from Naples and living there at the time when Maradona came. The racist chants and banners the northern Italian fans had towards the Neapolitan's were fairly vicious.    
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:35am

Brilliant documentary but I'm a bit disappointed how it ended after playing days in Italy. Thought there might've been a bit more to cover the next few years (U.S. world cup when he was expelled maybe?)

I always wished I was older during Euro 88/Italia 90 when you could truly appreciate how big it was for the country when our football team did well but after watching that documentary, it would've been unbelievable to be from Naples and living there at the time when Maradona came. The racist chants and banners the northern Italian fans had towards the Neapolitan's were fairly vicious.    

Kapadia purposely only focused on Maradonas time in Italy. You could make several different documentaries about him in fairness.

You might be able to find another one by a Serbian fella called Kusturica which is decent and worth a watch also. 
El Puto Amo
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:42am
It would have ruined it if it had gone on. I thought it was flawless. 
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:52am

Just love the pic of him walking up the steps in Naples with how paps snaping away

Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:57am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It would have ruined it if it had gone on. I thought it was flawless. 

Yeah I loved it, I've watched it 3 times.

In one of the more recent scenes towards the end, you see an overweight older Maradona on his way into an interview and he's visibly shook. He's quietly muttering under his breath with nerves. Anyone who has had an important meeting/ interview/ pressure situation on a Monday morning after a very heavy weekend will know that sense of dread and real fear. I thought it really showed his humanity after all those years in the spotlight under intense scrutiny, that he still had the same insecurities. He's never been completely comfortable in his own skin. The analogy used by his coach that Diego was a great lad but his alter ego "Maradona" was a nightmare rang true. But the retort was possibly equally true and he needed to create Maradona to survive. 
El Puto Amo
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 6:12am
The scene where the team is returning to BA after the world cup win and they're trying to get through the crowds at the airport is one of the most uncomfortable things I've seen. Imagine dealing with that for most of your life.

As you say, he probably had to create the alter-ego to survive.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 11:55am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Kapadia purposely only focused on Maradonas time in Italy. You could make several different documentaries about him in fairness.

You might be able to find another one by a Serbian fella called Kusturica which is decent and worth a watch also. 

Cheers. Might give that a watch. Thumbs Up
Gaz View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
You'll always be Gazsh to me.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:32pm
where could one watch the documentary that was on C4 a few weeks ago?
I dont email the count anymore, its been 9 months : ( He even sent me a YBIG scarf for my Birthday
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Gaz Gaz wrote:

where could one watch the documentary that was on C4 a few weeks ago?

All4 Player Thumbs Up
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 20>
  Share Topic