You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Diego Maradona - 1986

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:07am
great watch last night.like was said I couldn’t believe some of the tackles he took...especially in the early days of his time at Napoli...I just couldn’t see Messi trive in that type of game,some defenders nowadays seem to have too much respect to even tackle Messi now.those lads back then would of cut him in half.what comes across last night is how poorly Napoli treated him in the end..essentially he was shafted by the mafia who controlled the club..you can’t help but pity him in some of the scenes last night.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Sponsored Links

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 12:12am
 His life looked hell to me.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Jackal View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jackal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:18am
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by Jackal Jackal wrote:

Napoli's stadium looks the exact same, even the seats.

They only recently put in new seats for the first time.  It was exact same as Italia 90 until a year or so ago

A lot of it has been closed for years as it fell into disrepair, they added a third tier for the World Cup along with the roof, that tier has been completely closed off for an awful long time and remains closed now even after the renovations, capacity down to only about 50k now.

Italia 90 really came at the wrong time for Italian football facility wise, government and councils spent millions on big concrete stadiums, only for a few years later all new stadiums started adding the corporate element into it, Italian stadiums just got left behind

I love going to games in Italy because there's no corporate areas. In the UK they have avacados and popcorn, in Italy they have flares and smoke canisters.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 7:01am

His life looked hell to me.

The scene after they win the World Cup and are returning to Buenos Aires is so claustrophobic, barely has room to breathe. Dealing with that since his mid-to-late teens, no wonder he's ended up like he has.

It's pure showmanship, but I love the stare down from the Argies during GSTQ in that game in '86.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 8:59am

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Napoli's stadium looks the exact same, even the seats.

They only recently put in new seats for the first time.  It was exact same as Italia 90 until a year or so ago

A lot of it has been closed for years as it fell into disrepair, they added a third tier for the World Cup along with the roof, that tier has been completely closed off for an awful long time and remains closed now even after the renovations, capacity down to only about 50k now.

Italia 90 really came at the wrong time for Italian football facility wise, government and councils spent millions on big concrete stadiums, only for a few years later all new stadiums started adding the corporate element into it, Italian stadiums just got left behind

I love going to games in Italy because there's no corporate areas. In the UK they have avacados and popcorn, in Italy they have flares and smoke canisters.

Would be my preference too, but it's one of the reasons why Italian football fell behind.

Look at Juve now, first Serie A team to own their own ground

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 10:19am
Always loved Maradona. Mainly due to the fact that I was young enough when the 82 and 86 world cups were on. Different era and a time when world cups meant seeing players you have never heard of before. Few of us knew anything about Brazil in 82 until they played their first game of the tournament. Same with most teams bar England Scotland etc
I would still have Maradona ahead of Messi for his impact and what he achieved. 
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 1:47pm
Yeah Zico was the only Brasilian we’d heard of prior to 82.

I know it was 86 but J O S I M A R R R R R R
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:50pm
Was he the lad who scored the screamer against Scotland. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 2:59pm
It was against our friends in the north.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

David Narey actually scored a screamer for Scotland against Brazil in '82 which reddlad might be thinking of. It just annoyed them and they rarttled in four after. 

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

David Narey actually scored a screamer for Scotland against Brazil in '82 which reddlad might be thinking of. It just annoyed them and they rarttled in four after. 

Jimmy Hill called it a toe-poke, which was the main reason for his hatred from those north of the wall and the questioning of his sexuality.

Edit: two cracking jerseys there. 

Edited by pre Madonna - 23 Mar 2020 at 4:13pm
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2020 at 11:08pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Got one against the North and another against Poland, I think.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

great watch last night.like was said I couldn’t believe some of the tackles he took...especially in the early days of his time at Napoli...I just couldn’t see Messi trive in that type of game,some defenders nowadays seem to have too much respect to even tackle Messi now.those lads back then would of cut him in half.what comes across last night is how poorly Napoli treated him in the end..essentially he was shafted by the mafia who controlled the club..you can’t help but pity him in some of the scenes last night.

Maradona over Messi all day long, both all time greats and by far the best of their generations......but Maradona had that extra law of attraction element, an explosive character......Messi to be quite blunt is a bit bland

Edited by gazurtoids - 24 Mar 2020 at 1:06pm
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

Got one against the North and another against Poland, I think.

Aye, my mistake. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by gazurtoids gazurtoids wrote:

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Maradona over Messi all day long, both all time greats and by far the best of their generations......but Maradona had that extra law of attraction element, an explosive character......Messi to be quite blunt is a bit bland
When you take into account the pressure he was under to perform, all the time, it has to be Diego. Not to mention playing at that level with a cocaine problem. Phenomenal.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:26pm
There's no way either would have survived at the elite level in the time of the other. Messi would have been kicked out of the game before leaving Argentina and Maradona would have ended up like Antonio Cassano (that's an exaggeration but not much tbh). At best, Maradona might have ended up like Neymar but he probably wouldn't have reached that level with his issues.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 24 Mar 2020 at 1:27pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:34pm
I disagree regarding Maradona; the issues were only there due to the pressure to perform. Maradona, at a modern day club like Barcelona is today,  wouldn’t have had the same responsibilities, or felt them. That isn’t to say there isn’t a pressure to perform, but there is everything in place to make it the only pressure. There is an argument that the boredom may have driven a man of his personality mad, but I’m not sure that side of his personality would have been allowed to develop. 
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2020 at 1:42pm
ah SD there’s no way you can compare Maradona and Neymar.  That’s like comparing Justin Bieber to Ozzy Osbourne
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 20>
  Share Topic