You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Did anyone get a flight in or out of Tblisi

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Did anyone get a flight in or out of Tblisi
    Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:19am
Between the hours of 9am and 12am? 

Don't think I spoke to one person that had a normal times flight. wtf is the story there? The airport is rammed at 4am LOL
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Sponsored Links

AVFCAnne View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AVFCAnne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Don't think I spoke to one person that had a normal times flight. wtf is the story there? The airport is rammed at 4am LOL

We were talking to an Irish lad who told us some rather convoluted tale about it being something to do with using Russian airspace. Whether that's true or not, I have no idea.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:38am
I was told it was to to Western Europe before business hours.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 10:48am
Got the 4.55pm from Tbilisi, to Kiev, airport wasn't too busy during the day now you mention it
irish_goat View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_goat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 11:52am
6am Kutaisi flight to Berlin lands at 8am Berlin time. Perfect if you're going to work, which I assume is who the flight is aimed at.
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:09pm

Was the same for Yerevan and Astana
I know nothing :-)
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:30pm

Got a domestic flight from Batumi inwards, landed at 3pm. There is some restriction on airspace alright, I remember reading it somewhere before, all international flights seem to leave & land between 3am and 11am or thereabouts, bar those to Russia, Ukraine or Turkey, some of which leave at more normal hours. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:37pm
I'd imagine it's because planes can take off much easier in the cool than the heat, Tbilisi gets extreme summer daytime temperatures which would make it tricky for planes to leave.

See the same in the middle eastern airports, most flights go during the night.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:52pm
https://www.cospot.ge/en/night-flights-tbilisi-airport/     ;

Nighttime curfews in European airports and the need to meet connecting flights seems the reason
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:13pm
All nonsense. Its because of the fairies
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:35pm
Yeah, airlines want to use their fleets 24 hours around if they can and nighttime curfews at basically every major European airport, along with the fact the majority of planes used for useful flights to Tbilisi for us are based in Europe, means they tend to be in and out of Tbilisi in the middle of the night. The same applies for Europe to Astana, Yerevan and Baku, along with other places in Central Asia and, to a lesser extent, the Middle East.

The flight time from most of Europe to Tbilisi (3 to 4 hours) plus the average curfew time (midnight to six am or so) makes it an ideal location to fly to before midnight, land in the middle of the night, take off again, and arrive back in Europe just after curfew hours.

If Tbilisi airport had a curfew between midnight and 6am, it's not clear what would happen. Would they lose flights? Maybe. Airlines might not be so willing to use the fleet going to and from there during the day if they could more profitably use it in Western Europe.

The flight times were probably the main reason I went for the Kutaisi option this time around (well, the Milan - Kutaisi flights were cheap too). If it hadn't been an option, I'd likely have been on the UIA afternoon option with an evening in Amsterdam on the way back. It's not so much the arriving at 3am (which is fine: it's only midnight Irish time), it's leaving. There are so few flights west during the middle of the day, at least not remotely affordable ones.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yeah, airlines want to use their fleets 24 hours around if they can and nighttime curfews at basically every major European airport, along with the fact the majority of planes used for useful flights to Tbilisi for us are based in Europe, means they tend to be in and out of Tbilisi in the middle of the night. The same applies for Europe to Astana, Yerevan and Baku, along with other places in Central Asia and, to a lesser extent, the Middle East.

The flight time from most of Europe to Tbilisi (3 to 4 hours) plus the average curfew time (midnight to six am or so) makes it an ideal location to fly to before midnight, land in the middle of the night, take off again, and arrive back in Europe just after curfew hours.

If Tbilisi airport had a curfew between midnight and 6am, it's not clear what would happen. Would they lose flights? Maybe. Airlines might not be so willing to use the fleet going to and from there during the day if they could more profitably use it in Western Europe.

The flight times were probably the main reason I went for the Kutaisi option this time around (well, the Milan - Kutaisi flights were cheap too). If it hadn't been an option, I'd likely have been on the UIA afternoon option with an evening in Amsterdam on the way back. It's not so much the arriving at 3am (which is fine: it's only midnight Irish time), it's leaving. There are so few flights west during the middle of the day, at least not remotely affordable ones.

Wizzair or Ryanair will eventually set up a base in places like here

A plane based in Tbilisi could do 2 round trips to Amsterdam / Frankfort a day at decent timings to link into onward connections

Once Georgia and the likes join the EU openskys there will be a huge increase in options.

If I remember right Tbilisi had 6m visitors last year and tourism will grow rapidly in Georgia.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I'd imagine it's because planes can take off much easier in the cool than the heat, Tbilisi gets extreme summer daytime temperatures which would make it tricky for planes to leave.

See the same in the middle eastern airports, most flights go during the night.
You can only land and take off between the hours of midnight and 4 am in Las Vegas during August because it's so hot ..................... Yer right LOL
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 2:41pm
That only applies to the smaller planes, not the Boeing class.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 3:42pm
Flew through Kiev and landed just before midnight.

Mafis flight to dubai the day after the game was at 11am i think

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

All nonsense. Its because of the fairies
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Lostandfound View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lostandfound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 7:25pm
Flew out at 13.20, was worth the detour through Moscow to fly at sensible times.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 8:40pm
Some serious flight information here Geek
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic