You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dev or Collins

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Are you in the Dev camp or Collins camp?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [84.62%]
2 [15.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dev or Collins
    Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 6:31am
Just wondering what people oppinions of the two are?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 6:32am
That's quite simple...
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 6:32am
Glen: "Anyone who votes for Dev is a ****"
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 6:34am
I have huge admoration for Collins, he was years ahead of his time. And i think Dev sold Collins out. However Dev must be commended for his leadership during the emergency

Edited by zizu Kilbane - 23 Aug 2009 at 6:37am
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donal Cullen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 7:41am
Only recently finished reading an article on U Boats in the Second World War and Chruchill was convinced that the Irish were helping them so sent a bunch of destroyers around the coast to find evidence. They found none but still the story persists. The thinking is that if Churchill found some evidence it would give him a green light to invade (like he was going to do in Norway before the Germans got there first) and Dev got on the auld radio and affirmed Irish neutrality and said that if England invade Ireland would side with Germany and if Germany invaded he would side with the Allies.  Dev was a politician and a fighter (he was at Boland's Mill in 1916) whereas Collins was just a fighter. I have great respect for both men and try not get caught up in the politics of that time as both men thought they were doing the best for Ireland. 
There are friendlier places to drink.
irish_major View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Bookie Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irish_major Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 8:38am

collins for me! dev f****d him over! great men for our country though!

Here we go again
athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 12:19pm
Why do e have to chose between both, im not talkin about just in this poll, but in general.
Many, ponder both and aren't sure, eventually decide to favour one over the other, and then forget that they just favour one over the other, they dont detest the one they didnt favour, but they announce that they do.
It's like Roy Keane, you always hear the For and Against, but alot of people can fall into both camps.
For me, I Delight in Ipswich losing, yet applauld and cheered watching Roy Keane in Ireland shirt
Lisbon treaty im sittin on the fence too.

How often do we hear, I Hate cats, when what they really feel is a love for dogs, but if ya love dogs u must hate cats to reinforce there love for them,
Why do poor cats be compared to Dogs......how about Cats or Rats?

Christ, I have issues

athlonecelt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote athlonecelt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 12:21pm
For the record,
I chose Rats.

f****n hate cats!Tongue
nosnowman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nosnowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2009 at 1:46pm
collins every time for me.if dev was a great politican then why didnt he go negotiate the treaty in london?collins was caught between a rock and a hard place.all he wanted was peace for the irish people.he was never going to get the 32 counties and dev new this and thats why he chickened out and made collins the fall guy for it.saw a great docu. about dev/churchill during ww11 have to say though he was a cute hoor alright.
its cats for me though athlonecelt,f**kin hate rats.
You can discover more about a man in an hour of play than in a year of conversation-plato
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 2:57pm
dev coward out of the death that every member of the bolands mill garrison (including my great grandfather) was prepared to do if necessary. he hid behind the pitiful excuse that he was an american citizen.

he did more than any othet person to force a civil war by refusing to accept the ratification of the treaty by both Dail Eireann and the electorate. Despite this agitation for a civil war, and despite thousands of deaths, he then brought his followers back into the dail, took the oath of allegiance etc. He then sold out his northern followers when he turned his back on them when in power.

Collins did what he had to do get the best available deal for irish people. it was flawed, difficult but it was necessary and could have been furthered given time (reunification, severing of ties with britain). Dev pushed a war amongst ourselves because he didnt get the glory himself and then renaged his support for everything the war was fought over.

people forget very quickly that it wasn't dev in charge when the republic was offically declared in 1949 - despite the fact he had been in power since the early thirties.

also, his backward catholic driven agenda held this country back socially for decades which has only started to unravel in the last decade. in dev's world you could only be irish if you played gah, voted fianna fail, went to mass and rejected anything that could be perceived as "outside influenced". his legacy was that we were a third world country until thee early nineties
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
criostoir Óg View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote criostoir Óg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 4:23pm
Talking on athlonecelt's point, the need to decide between the two is because the memory of Collins is firmly rooted in Cumann na gGaedhael/Fine Gael history and DeV is obviously the founding father of Fianna Fáil. Bothplayed vital roles in the War of Independence, and the fateful decision to turn the guns inwards in 1922 was one which signalled Ireland's darkest hour.

I have no qualms with DeValera's decision to walk out of a partitioned Dáil Éireann, but the fact he reentered in 1926 when the dust had settled and many of the Volunteers and Free State Forces had been buried as a result of one another to me demonstrates nothing more that a desire for power.

Collins, as someone has already pointed out, was not a politician; nor was he actually the leader of the Army (Richard Mulcahy was), but he was a pivotal cog in the guerilla tactics necessary to beat an imperial arsenal; it owuld have been impossible to match by force. History has clouded the timeline of events from 1920-1922, whereby Ireland has already been partitioned by the time of the Anglo Irish Treaty - and it was clear that further force would be necessary to oppose the border of convenience. Sadly, however, the opportunity for freedom to achieve freedom was curtailed by the onslaught of the Irish Civil War. It should not be forgotted that the Treaty was largely welcomed by nationanlists in the north of Ireland, as it was regarded as an opportunity to negotiate the end to partition, as well as stop the sectarian onslaught led from the front by Crown Forces.

Ultimately, it is a difficult decision to make, and one which thankfully nobody has to. On the one hand you have the man who achieved a settlement from the British Government for a degree of separatism and own Government; but on the other hand is the figurehead for the partitionist party and party of the ex-Unionist and Commonwealth -- C na nG/FG. Juxtaposed you have DeValera, who stood by the principles of the 1916 Proclamation of an Irish Republic for 32 Counties or bust; however, he also did exactly what he said he wouldn't some 4 years later, only by then had allowed anti-Treatyites to engage in a war agains the fledgling state and engage in open war on the streets against former Comrades. Both men, moreover, have been the subject of media attention, and some very innacurate portrayals (namely Neil Jordan's Michael Collins, 1996), leading to very clouded judgements, worsened by the continued split in Irish Politics, dating back to the aforementioned period...
What happens on away trips, stays on away trips...except syphilis!
seaniemac View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seaniemac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 4:43pm
Dev gave way too much power to the catholic church in this country so that's a big Thumbs%20Down in my book.
If you took the best characteristics of both men and morphed them into one leader, he'd be some man for one man!
brianie View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brianie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2009 at 4:47pm
For me the Vision Dev had for us has metamorsified everything that has gone wrong, Dancing at the Crossroads my arseThumbs%20Down
ITS KEANE YES

YBIG You Can Please some of the People Some of the Time But Not All of The People All of The Time
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic