You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denmark vs Ireland 07/06/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 6:18am
Originally posted by Hans Moleman Hans Moleman wrote:

Just to clarify, I don't hate Mick McCarthy. I do think he's a very poor football manager at best. I don't try to hide my thoughts on him ever. I do hate the fact that he is the Irish manager again though, which is a totally different thing. No doubt in 6 odd months time, a lot will see this campaign as another one confined to the gutter as we made a managerial appointment based on sentiment and a PR spin job to keep John Delaney in tact.

For all that, I can recognise when we play well and when we play poorly. We were absolutely abysmal against Gibraltar. Some of the worst stuff I've seen us play. We played well against Georgia and the most refreshing thing was the intent of the side. The attitude was spot on, and for that McCarthy deserves huge credit.

It was Georgia at home though. The easiest of the 6 fixtures we effectively face in this group (nobody should be even looking at the Gibraltar results). For me, that standard of performance allied with that starting 11 against the Swiss and Danes home and away would do exceptionally well to get us 1 point if not 2 from those 4 fixtures. I wouldn't put us as even close to banker for winning away to Georgia based on what I've seen so far.

So my point stands and is very much based in reality. A midfield 5 named above with McGoldrick ahead of them might just about get the job done against Georgia at home, but it will be embarrassed away to Denmark. Whelan will not be able to cover the holes left by our other midfielders as he did against Georgia. That defense will give up countless chances (Georgia got a few while playing terribly) and McGoldrick will get nothing like the space he had the other night. Totally different level of opposition in the next game. 

Oh and I'm perfectly relaxed, thank you very much.

Mick is never going to be a master tactician but is the great man manager and motivator a bit like a Harry Redknapp type. I actually think the FAI actually made a great decision in appointing Mick for this campaign with Kenny taking over after the Euros and I’m fully confident we will end up having a great tournament cause we will qualify and wouldn’t be surprised if it’s automatically.  
Regarding this Denmark game I think he will go with a five man midfield like previously but by having Arter in there will stop Whelan from being overrun defensively with Hourihane pushing on .McGoldricks holding up of the ball and dropping deep will be perfect for when we break against Denmark and Mick will have a game plan to capitalise on this and unlike a certain MON will have a backup plan. The future is a lot brighter than it was last year 
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 7:12am

It was Georgia at home though. The easiest of the 6 fixtures we effectively face in this group (nobody should be even looking at the Gibraltar results). For me, that standard of performance allied with that starting 11 against the Swiss and Danes home and away would do exceptionally well to get us 1 point if not 2 from those 4 fixtures. I wouldn't put us as even close to banker for winning away to Georgia based on what I've seen so far.

Remember Hans that before the game you were saying it was another level of wacky to suggest we would beat Georgia while playing some eye catching football. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:46am

I would seriously worry for some Irish fans. The lack of realism in the above post is something else.

You say the 5-1 defeat was a freak result. I could say those other games that were draws were very much the freak results, and I'd have much more merit in saying that than yourself as the performances and every single stat going will show we could and should have lost every game comfortably (the possible exception being WC playoff 0-0 that was a proper stalemate iirc).

I can perfectly understand the enthusiasm after the win against Georgia. It was a good performance. And that bare no resemblance at all to the toxic performances of the 18 months odd that had gone before. In saying all that, it was Georgia. They are no world beaters and neither are we. 

If we go to Denmark with that midfield, we will come away embarrassed. People are getting way ahead of themselves more based on the darkness that has gone before, than our performance against Georgia. That was a level of performance that the Swiss and Danes will comfortably dispose of us, make no bones about that. Massive improvements, and plenty of personnel changes will be required to get anything out of the 4 games vs the Swiss and the Danes.

How could 3 out of the 4 games we've played them in be the "freak results"? A freak result is something out of the ordinary, the fact we've drawn with them 75% of the times we've played them would strongly suggest that's the norm....
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:54am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I would seriously worry for some Irish fans. The lack of realism in the above post is something else.

You say the 5-1 defeat was a freak result. I could say those other games that were draws were very much the freak results, and I'd have much more merit in saying that than yourself as the performances and every single stat going will show we could and should have lost every game comfortably (the possible exception being WC playoff 0-0 that was a proper stalemate iirc).

I can perfectly understand the enthusiasm after the win against Georgia. It was a good performance. And that bare no resemblance at all to the toxic performances of the 18 months odd that had gone before. In saying all that, it was Georgia. They are no world beaters and neither are we. 

If we go to Denmark with that midfield, we will come away embarrassed. People are getting way ahead of themselves more based on the darkness that has gone before, than our performance against Georgia. That was a level of performance that the Swiss and Danes will comfortably dispose of us, make no bones about that. Massive improvements, and plenty of personnel changes will be required to get anything out of the 4 games vs the Swiss and the Danes.

How could 3 out of the 4 games we've played them in be the "freak results"? A freak result is something out of the ordinary, the fact we've drawn with them 75% of the times we've played them would strongly suggest that's the norm....

Exactly my point. 

Add in the fact that we managed those three draws with a basket case of a manager and there’s reason to be optimistic that we can secure a draw while not playing brutal football. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 8:59am
Agree with the above.
Surely the freak result out of the 4 is the one were our manager decided to play with no midfield second half

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 29 Mar 2019 at 9:20am
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 9:58am
In that 5-1 game we panicked after the Christie O.G. and as soon as they scored we had no plan whatsoever and they scored again pretty soon after that (3 minutes later)

And then MON's great plan was to take off Meyler and Arter and put on McGeady and Hoolahan and give Eriksen the freedom of the midfield

Edited by lassassinblanc - 29 Mar 2019 at 9:59am
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 10:09am
So according to Hans. The freak result wasn't the 5-1 where as has been pointed out MON went loolah at HT with the subs but the other 3 games that we drew Confused

Edited by Denis Irwin - 29 Mar 2019 at 10:32am
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 10:48am
I don’t think we will get hammered out there, it just isn’t our way, but two of those three draws come with disclaimers. The first NL draw was a more than acceptable result for the Danes having beaten Wales, while the second one was a complete dead rubber.

The Danes will be expecting to beat us at home this time and probably will. Their draw in Switzerland makes it less of a ‘must win’ for them, which might help us though.
Currychips View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Currychips Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 11:12am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I don’t think we will get hammered out there, it just isn’t our way, but two of those three draws come with disclaimers. The first NL draw was a more than acceptable result for the Danes having beaten Wales, while the second one was a complete dead rubber.

The Danes will be expecting to beat us at home this time and probably will. Their draw in Switzerland makes it less of a ‘must win’ for them, which might help us though.

God I hope they expect to beat us easily this time cause the past 4games against them was MON at his worst and Mick will at least try nullify their dangermen and not go route one everytime. Their CB's aren't that crash hot and again we are paying a team way too much respect.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 11:30am
We have a poor squad but when we are set up properly we have a chance. Just look at Eire Og managed by the real MON.
We need more strikers.  If Bamford loves The Eire I'd take him.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 1:50pm
Hans, you are difficult to listen to. You should change your name to MON Junior.

We have every chance of going to Copenhagen and nicking a draw or even a win. It's clearly evident Mick has won over the players and with the likes of Robinson, O'Dowda, Curtis and hopefully Bamford & Crowley to come into the fold, things are looking up. Suddenly we have options and I'd back Mick to get 2nd in the group, something he never failed to achieve as Irish manager.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Currychips Currychips wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

God I hope they expect to beat us easily this time cause the past 4games against them was MON at his worst and Mick will at least try nullify their dangermen and not go route one everytime. Their CB's aren't that crash hot and again we are paying a team way too much respect.

I agree with CurryChips we always do give teams a lot more credit then they deserve.

If you look at the Denmark team, Eriksen is the obvious threat then you'd say Delaney, Schone and Yussuf Poulsen are handy players. Schmeichel is decent too, but as shown in that 3-3 draw capable of a clanger.

The rest of team aren't up to that much really.

I will point out I wonder what would have happened in the 3-3 had Shaquiri been fit who would be the Swiss's main creative outlet.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:13pm
I reckon the Handicap betting for Denmark vs Ireland will be Denmark-1 and Ireland +1. Denmark are definitely favourites to win at home but they do struggle to break teams down that defend deep. In 3/4 games we played against them it ended 0-0. As we all know O’Neill had no game plan just 10 men behind the ball and lump it long and hope for a mistake by the opposition or win a set piece. Denmark do struggle when teams go ultra negative against them. Montenegro beat them 1-0 in Denmark. I hope Mick has a proper game plan and puts them under pressure like against Georgia but I’d bite your hand off for another 0-0 and the players know how to get it.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
The White Cafu View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The White Cafu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

I reckon the Handicap betting for Denmark vs Ireland will be Denmark-1 and Ireland +1. Denmark are definitely favourites to win at home but they do struggle to break teams down that defend deep. In 3/4 games we played against them it ended 0-0. As we all know O’Neill had no game plan just 10 men behind the ball and lump it long and hope for a mistake by the opposition or win a set piece. Denmark do struggle when teams go ultra negative against them. Montenegro beat them 1-0 in Denmark. I hope Mick has a proper game plan and puts them under pressure like against Georgia but I’d bite your hand off for another 0-0 and the players know how to get it.

Bold statement there.
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:22pm
Well it won’t be more than Denmark-2 and Ireland +2. They thrashed us 5-1 once but in the other 3 games failed to score.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:32pm
It will take a huge performance to beat the Danes in Copenhagen, or even draw for that matter.

But there's a few reasons for us to have a bit of confidence.

Eriksen and Hareide are two horribly cocky gits and won't even consider the possibility that we have improved slightly under Mick.

It's also not a particularly intimidating stadium, their fans aren't up to much and it won't be that well attended I'd imagine, this obviously isn't a huge factor, but it's an easier ground to play in than Bosnia or Austria where we've seen decent home support over the years.

Our lads will also have that May training camp to practice set pieces, and work together properly on 
tactics.

For me, Denmark's main weaknesses are at fullback. Dalsgaard and Stryger Larsen are there to be got at and to be fair it seems our best players are either full backs or wingers at the moment so that gives us a bit of hope.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:38pm
I think Denmark are a cut above us but it we're set up right with a clear plan and the players know their roles, then we can get a draw. 

It'll be interesting to see how Mick approaches an away match against a superior opponent.
Hans Moleman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Muff: That is a lie and you are a liar

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hans Moleman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Remember Hans that before the game you were saying it was another level of wacky to suggest we would beat Georgia while playing some eye catching football. 

I remember well. How good do you think we were against Georgia? Good enough to beat Switzerland or Denmark with that level of performance and personnel? Good enough to get a result away to Georgia?

With what has gone before being so toxic, it's understandable that people get carried away with a good performance. Eye catching? Well yes, in comparison to what has gone before I suppose so. In terms of winning any of the remaining 5 games in this group, I would have serious reservations.
"I called him an embarrassment to FIFA and to himself," .... He said 'No-one speaks to me like that'.... and I said, "well I do' and that was that."
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 35>
  Share Topic