You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Denmark vs Ireland 07/06/19

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Denmark vs Ireland 07/06/19
    Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:11am
Looking forward to this one now after a decent performance last night.

I can see a bit of selection headache coming Mick's way for the trip to Copenhagen.

Callum O'Dowda and Robinson should both be fit, Robbie Brady and James McCarthy may both rack up some important game time by then. Michael Obafemi may be fit, though unlikely.

Daniel Crowley should be available by June and Bamford may be involved as he said he'd only commit to Ireland after the Championship season is over - which it will be by then.

The Danes secured a point after a mental 3-3 draw away to the Swiss. That result probably suggests that both of these teams have weaknesses at the back, but obviously possess very potent attacks too.

It will be interesting to see how Mick sets us up for this match. Randolph, Keogh, Duffy, Stevens, Whelan, Hendrick, Hourihane and McGoldrick are probably guaranteed starters. We'll have to see how Coleman and Doherty get on for the remainder of the Premier League season, while I feel the two wing positions are up for grabs.

David McGoldrick is almost the perfect striker for these tricky away games. He drops deep into midfield to win the ball, holds the play up brilliantly and brings our wingers into the game on the break - which I'm sure will be a big part of our plan for trying to get something in Copenhagen.

These lads humped us 5-1 in the play-off when MON pulled the entire midfield off at HT. Our three other recent games against them have finished 0-0, suggesting that we might be able to contain them again. I'd take another 0-0 with the hope of giving them what we owe them in Dublin in the winter.

I think Mick may start with something like this:

Randolph
Doherty Duffy Keogh Stevens
          Whelan Hourihane
Robinson   Hendrick   O'Dowda
               McGoldrick
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:15am
Bamford won’t be involved, he has to get all his paperwork done and that takes a few months plus he’ll probably be looking to recover.

It’s September as far as I know he’s seemingly targeting (open to correction)
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:39am

If everyone is fit I think that is our strongest 11. I don’t think he’ll make as many changes as that for the Denmark game and we probably might have to go a bit more defensive with the formation. 4-5–1 rather than 4-3-3. 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:49am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

If everyone is fit I think that is our strongest 11. I don’t think he’ll make as many changes as that for the Denmark game and we probably might have to go a bit more defensive with the formation. 4-5–1 rather than 4-3-3. 

How is that our strongest lineup with hendrick. Browne hasnt even played under mick yet. Hendrick if fit and playing is a nailed on starter. And rightly so.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:54am
McCarthy while willing to pick and choose on form will also have his favourites. As such, I can’t see major change for the Danish game. Players may drop in and out of the squad, but I suspect a similar team to last night, with perhaps a re-distribution of Brady either to another position or to the bench.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Bamford won’t be involved, he has to get all his paperwork done and that takes a few months plus he’ll probably be looking to recover.

It’s September as far as I know he’s seemingly targeting (open to correction)

it took 10 business days for IRA RICE
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

How is that our strongest lineup with hendrick. Browne hasnt even played under mick yet. Hendrick if fit and playing is a nailed on starter. And rightly so.

Because Mick has shown that he is willing to choose players based on club form. He actually name checked Browne in the press conference before he got injured as a potential solution to our goal scoring problem since he has something like 12 goals. McGoldrick hold up play really got the best out of our midfielders and wingers. Browne will get his opportunity under Mick and I think he would have started the Gibraltar game had he not got injured.
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:04pm
Looking forward to this, hopefully we get a decent number travelling over.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

McCarthy while willing to pick and choose on form will also have his favourites. As such, I can’t see major change for the Danish game. Players may drop in and out of the squad, but I suspect a similar team to last night, with perhaps a re-distribution of Brady either to another position or to the bench.

No way does Randolph get dropped. Made some superb saves in the two games
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:22pm
Richard Keogh has been excellent both games no way will he be dropped and Hendrick won’t be dropped either.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 12:25pm
Yeah certain players won't be dropped after recent performances, even if better players are on the bench.

For me the only positions up for grabs are the two wide midfield roles, right-back, and possibly one of the midfield roles.

Wouldn't be sure Mick will start both Hendrick and Hourihane starting against Denmark.
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:04pm
Pin eriksens comments up on the dressing room wall and go at them again like last night. We owe them and we have a point to prove

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 27 Mar 2019 at 3:04pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:51pm
we owe them one. impossible to tell with whose injured/whose coming back etc but personally I think our strongest XI is something like;

Randolph; Coleman, Duffy, Egan, Stevens; Doherty/Robinson, Browne/Hendrick, Whelan, Hourihane, O'Dowda; McGoldrick

the big calls mick has to make are obviously how to handle Doherty/coleman, CB pairing given he seemingly really likes and trusts Keogh alongside duffy, and choosing wingers between the returning odowda and robinson versus brady and mcclean. personally I think central midfield done well enough especially yesterday that james McCarthy wont get into XI. and mcgoldrick has shown enough that I think long wont walk back into a starting role either
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 4:23pm
I just hope we go there looking to win the game. Go with a positive mindset. Hope we dont gi back to defending for the majority of the game. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 4:41am
He'll stick with the same CB pairing as I'd say he sees this game as a more backs to the wall type of game. I could be wrong about this but I don't see either Long or Egan coming in unless as a result of injuries.

The players like Robinson, O'Dowda, S. Long will make the squad a lot stronger and could be pushing for starting places depending on their end of season form.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Stimpy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stimpy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:14am
              Randolph
Coleman Duffy Keogh Stevens
       Whelan McCarthy
Robinson Hourihane O'Dowda
                 Long
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Randolph
       Whelan McCarthy
                 Long

He'll hardly drop McGoldrick after his performance on Tuesday.

I can't see there being many changes to Tuesday's team.
johnvonp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnvonp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 10:39am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Originally posted by Stimpy Stimpy wrote:

Randolph
       Whelan McCarthy
                 Long

He'll hardly drop McGoldrick after his performance on Tuesday.

I can't see there being many changes to Tuesday's team.

Yep, same team apart from the wingers with Robinson, O'Dowda, McClean and Brady fighting for the two spots.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 35>
  Share Topic