You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Declan Rice

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 298>
Author
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jimbhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 3:54pm
Nevin spoke about the Scotland v Ireland game at Hampden in 1987 in an Off The Ball programme in Glasgow with Ray Houghton. He said his Dad met him after the game with a big smile on his face after being in the Ireland end during the game, despite the fact that his son was playing for Scotland. Declan Rice's Dad sounds like he would do something similar.

Anti Irish sentiment is still much more prevalent in the West of Scotland today than in England, where the days of "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish" are thankfully a thing of the past. I can totally understand why McGeady and McCarthy chose to play for Ireland having been ignored by Scotland at junior levels.

Nevin wouldn't have got in our team in 1987.The team we put out that night is possibly our strongest ever line up. Houghton was much better than Nevin and they played in the same position.
Sponsored Links

Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 4:34pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

I was listening to a radio interview with Pat Nevin on the subject of Declan Rice the other day.

He was broadly sympathetic to him, mentioning his own experience.

Apparently he was brought up in a strong Irish family eg christened "Patrick Kevin Francis Michael Nevin"; holidayed in Ireland as a kid; proud of his roots; (Scottish-born) father delighted when ROI beat Scotland in Glasgow in a qualifier, even though his son was in the Scotland XI etc

And if ever asked/good enough, all five of his siblings would have chosen ROI over Scotland "in a heartbeat".

Yet when his Da put it to him when it came to Pat to decide, he never even thought of choosing ROI, it was Scotland (only) for him.

Heard that podcast too. What Nevin neglected to mention was DR having played 3 games at senior level and umpteen games at underage level for the old sod. So Nevin's situation is not a true comparison. Alan Kernaghan on the other hand.........
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
tonyjaa View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonyjaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:37pm
Pat Nevin is a soup taking asswipe
Territorial View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

You're blaming him for preferring Scotch Broth, then?

Or maybe it's this...

Former Scotland international Pat Nevin has told MSPs he was “driven away” from the football club he loved after hearing sectarian chants from Celtic fans when he was at Parkhead with his young son. He also revealed the “intimidation” he felt after being targeted by the club and its fans when he criticised their chanting live on air at this season’s Scottish cup final.

Nevin, now a media pundit, told MSPs he had grown up in the east end of Glasgow, where the club is based, and was part of the area’s Irish catholic Diaspora. “I supported Celtic for most of my life,” he said. “But one day, I found myself sitting in the stand with my son, who had started to take an interest in football, hearing the song Ooh ah, up the RA. “I could not accept bringing up my son alongside that, so I was driven away from the club that I loved. I was very disappointed about that.”

Nevin was commentating for the BBC at this year’s cup final between Celtic and Dundee United when he provoked the ire of the club when he hit out at a section of their fans over their chants. He told MSPs: “The song went something like, ‘As a young man, I’m going to join the IRA – provisional wing’. “It offended me and I do not want to hear it at a football ground. “I was shocked and surprised that Celtic Football Club and a great number of fans complained to the BBC, because I expect to hear them say that they do not want to hear that sort of song at their ground.”

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/celtic-fans-ira-chants-drove-me-away-from-the-club-i-love-says-nevin-1-1830310

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Grinds my gears.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

I was listening to a radio interview with Pat Nevin on the subject of Declan Rice the other day.

Apparently he was brought up in a strong Irish family eg christened "Patrick Kevin Francis Michael Nevin"; holidayed in Ireland as a kid; proud of his roots; (Scottish-born) father delighted when ROI beat Scotland in Glasgow in a qualifier, even though his son was in the Scotland XI etc

And if ever asked/good enough, all five of his siblings would have chosen ROI over Scotland "in a heartbeat".

Yet when his Da put it to him when it came to Pat to decide, he never even thought of choosing ROI, it was Scotland (only) for him.

Heard that podcast too. What Nevin neglected to mention was DR having played 3 games at senior level and umpteen games at underage level for the old sod. So Nevin's situation is not a true comparison. Alan Kernaghan on the other hand.........
What was the podcast?
you were probably told to leave an Irish centre one night but kept mouthing off and some big church going Gaa player f**ked you out the door hence your hatred for the Catholic Church and Gaa aswell!
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
www.revolut.com

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 6:17pm
Steve Clarke was abused by the huns last night with sectarian chanting.  Told the reporters sarcastically ''its great to be back in Scotland.''  Also said ''thank God Chelsea took me away from west Scotland''. ''Thankfully my kids never had to put up with this crap as they grew up in London''.

Terry what is the point in digging up this sh*te?  

Shock horror there is chanting on both sides.  Who would have thought.

In the criminal justice system MON's crimes against the beautiful game are considered especially heinous.
Law & Order MON Special Victims Unit

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What was the podcast?
Here:
(1 min 50 secs in)
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Terry what is the point in digging up this sh*te?   
I didn't "drag up" any sh*te.

If you look back through the thread, you'll see I brought up Pat Nevin, in the context of his comments on Declan Rice. Nevin's comments and mine were both relevant to the thread and wholly unexceptional, with no ordure whatever.

Then out of the blue, sorry, green and white, good old Tony flew in with:
"Pat Nevin is a soup taking asswipe"

Intrigued as to why Nevin should provoke such a reaction, I went to his Wiki page, where I saw the offending article which I quoted.

Meanwhile, you'll find it was others who dragged up Clarke, Boyd and the rest.

But heyho, if in doubt, blame the Partick Thistle* fan... Wink

* - I'm not really, but if you held a gun to my head and made me pick a Scottish football team... Wink

Edited by Territorial - 21 Feb 2019 at 8:33pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:24pm

What was the podcast?
Last Fridays BBC world service World Football pod. Tomorrow's pod, Nevin is on about sectarianism in Scottish football.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 9:27pm

Originally posted by tonyjaa tonyjaa wrote:

You're blaming him for preferring Scotch Broth, then?

Or maybe it's this...

Former Scotland international Pat Nevin has told MSPs he was “driven away” from the football club he loved after hearing sectarian chants from Celtic fans when he was at Parkhead with his young son. He also revealed the “intimidation” he felt after being targeted by the club and its fans when he criticised their chanting live on air at this season’s Scottish cup final.

Nevin, now a media pundit, told MSPs he had grown up in the east end of Glasgow, where the club is based, and was part of the area’s Irish catholic Diaspora. “I supported Celtic for most of my life,” he said. “But one day, I found myself sitting in the stand with my son, who had started to take an interest in football, hearing the song Ooh ah, up the RA. “I could not accept bringing up my son alongside that, so I was driven away from the club that I loved. I was very disappointed about that.”

Nevin was commentating for the BBC at this year’s cup final between Celtic and Dundee United when he provoked the ire of the club when he hit out at a section of their fans over their chants. He told MSPs: “The song went something like, ‘As a young man, I’m going to join the IRA – provisional wing’. “It offended me and I do not want to hear it at a football ground. “I was shocked and surprised that Celtic Football Club and a great number of fans complained to the BBC, because I expect to hear them say that they do not want to hear that sort of song at their ground.”

Read more at: https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/celtic-fans-ira-chants-drove-me-away-from-the-club-i-love-says-nevin-1-1830310

And Nevin now follows hibs, club with worst hooligan mob in Scotland.Smile
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Grinds my gears.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 10:26pm

What was the podcast?
Last Fridays BBC world service World Football pod. Tomorrow's pod, Nevin is on about sectarianism in Scottish football.
Just had a listen, cheers. 
you were probably told to leave an Irish centre one night but kept mouthing off and some big church going Gaa player f**ked you out the door hence your hatred for the Catholic Church and Gaa aswell!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:54pm
Life is full of contraductions anomalies etc.

Its like trying to explain to a provo RA Celtic head that you are a Protestant Republican and see how confused they get.

Life is great.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:58am

What was the podcast?

If it's about sectarianism is it called a prodcast?
The dark side.. And the light
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:13am
LOL
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Grinds my gears.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:53am
LOL
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
#No1 on breaking news on bad news

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 11:54am
LOL
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:28pm
Manuel Pellegrini seems impressed:

West Ham's Declan Rice is outperforming England's other holding midfielders, says Hammers manager Manuel Pellegrini.

The 20-year-old has played 59 times for the Hammers, and Pellegrini believes he is ready for an England call-up.

"As a young player he will always be learning, but at this moment I think he is a complete player," he said.

"At this moment, his performances are better than every English holding midfielder."

(More here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47323633 )

Yeah, yeah, yeah Manuel, but can he do this?

"He going down like oh, oh, oh, oh, oh...." LOL

sid waddell View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2019 at 9:44pm
Last week I said that Declan Rice would turn out to be a Jordan Henderson type player. 

After seeing this, I feel vindicated in my view that he will be the new English Modric.

https://twitter.com/nathanmurf/status/1099037802010955776
Move my spirit hold me, move my spirit take me, move my spirit heal me, move my spirit teach me

The BDO - Real darts, real people.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 298>
  Share Topic